LegacyGT.com

BG Auto Tranny Additive

subi_snipe223

^ i respectfully disagree.

my first bg flush and additive, i immediately noticed a considerable improvement. later ones, not so much in the feeling department.

i've continued with them, every 20-30k or so; i'm nearing 130k.

Given that I do not have a flushing machine, where would I go in order to have a flush done besides a Stealer-ship? Does a stealership offer the BG additive?

I only ask since I have trouble trusting independent shops in their ability to not damage my Subaru...!

ANY independent shop with the right flushing machine should be able to do it.

Stop overthinking this and worrying more than you have to.

LE: the only reason I'm being firm about this is because it's been brought up so many times ;)

You basically want someone competent that is using a flushing machine which is what BG uses: two bladders that let the tranny's own pump exchange the fluid.

One bladder has the new fluid being sucked in, the other empty bladder receives the old fluid. That's how the BG machine works.

You do not want a flushing machine that:

-forces fluid in

-forces fluid in reverse

If this sort of exchange screws up your tranny then I think even a DIY drain/fill would too. I personally really don't see a difference because I don't think there is one.

Any universal synthetic ATF should do fine as long as it says on the bottle specifically compatible with Subaru ATF-HP.

Really, it shouldn't be called a flush. It should be called a fluid exchange.

^:lol:^

Thanks for the encouragement! It's just hard for me to hand my car off since I do all my servicing myself...

Checking out a local Subaru-only shop near my house as we speak.

What kind of price is reasonable for said flush and refill with the additive?

I am right with you on the do it yourself thing.

But I make exceptions when it comes to certain things.

I honestly forget how much I paid for the flush (without the fluid) :( I think it was right around $100?

My local dealer charges $150 with the OEM fluid included which is not bad at all.

If you go to your dealer, make sure those asshats don't put 4EAT ATF into your 5EAT.

• Mega Users

I don't blame you for worrying. I recently had an Independent SUBARU shop change my oil (the first oil change not done by myself). They barely even hand tightened the drain plug. I checked my oil after 500 miles and I was 2 qts down. I thought I had destroyed my ringlands or something...never again. The previous place that changed my axle boot for some reason tightened my oil filter with a F*&^ing impact wrench, since when trying to removing it, I was only able to remove skin from my hands.

Just do it yourself! There's always the DIY garage in Kent if you don't want to make a mess or don't have a garage.

Just talked to the shop, they quoted $220 with the BG additive and all the OEM fluid...Seems a bit steep since your dealer was closer to $150...but they do include a loaner car and free oil change with 5-30 Synthetic and OEM filter...good deal?

Just an update and a question...

The shop lowered their price when I contacted them aagin with the news at the Dealership came in below them. They are now going to do the flush (allowing for as much as 16Q of HP fluid), the BG additive, a free oil change with OEM filter, and a loaner car for $201...

Not too bad eh?

My question is about the BG additive....what is it called exactly? Soft Shift?

It's called BG ATC+

Per their site:

BG ATC Plus enhances properties of both new and used automatic transmission fluid. It improves fluid oxidation stability, thereby prolonging fluid life and the life of the transmission. It prevents leaks by conditioning hardened seals—keeping them soft and pliable. BG ATC Plus helps control transmission shudder‚ retards formation of sludge and varnish deposits and prevents foaming.

I think Advance Auto Parts, Autozone etc SHOULD carry it. If you ask me, most of those properties are handled by the OEM ATF.

Just an update and a question...

The shop lowered their price when I contacted them aagin with the news at the Dealership came in below them. They are now going to do the flush (allowing for as much as 16Q of HP fluid), the BG additive, a free oil change with OEM filter, and a loaner car for $201...

Not too bad eh?

that's more like it ;)

my shop also comes in around 150-175 for the bg service w/ fluids.

Got the 5EAT serviced and it seems much happier now! Less lag between gears and peace of mind that I got all the old, ~70K mile, fluid out!

Also, discovered that my drivers rear tire was so out of round that it was showing cord...if I hadn't taken it in I would probably have kept driving on those dangerous tires!

I just need to get the wife to understand that she needs to pay more attention to how the car feels....the new 225/45/17 Conti DWSs are super-nice! Quieter than the only tires and seem to have eliminated much of the vibration which we had come to accept as part of having a lowered vehicle!

fyi, there are half a dozen different kinds of "additive" companies. i've used bg, wynns, daytona, MOC, and others i cant remember. they are all about the same. the stuff we use at my dealer is daytona. a flush, is a flush. (basically).
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

My disdain was addressed to those who believe all flushes are the same, when in fact that notion is completely ridiculous. I have not seen BG fluid specifications and compared them to Amsoil. When I compared Amsoil to Mobil, I found them to be pretty different, which would explain why they aren't so cross compatible. But BG could be good.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Not a bad idea. They are not inherently bad. The question is, are they worth it?

^ that's the rub.

way i see it, if i have a system that's doing it (for whatever reason), pocketing that ~100 bucks/year or so from a stock trans doing something like 150% duty would sit on me like nell carter.

especially these days, where it seems if you walk out the front door to adjust the mat, you come back ~$100 lighter :lol:

Archived