LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Turbo and Exhaust Upgrade

Hi all... Unfortunately my 05 LGT's stock turbo has decided to crap out, so instead of getting down, I'm excited to say that I will be buying some upgrades.

Here is what I'm looking at so let me know what you think. I'm on a budget and would like to keep this upgrade under $3k. I'm just looking to gain a little more power than stock as well as add some exhaust for a nice deep sound.

Turbo Kit (including VF52 Turbo, 740cc Injectors, and 255lph fuel pump), http://www.importimageracing.com/p/Subaru-VF52-Turbocharger-Combo-05-06-Legacy-GT.html

Turbo Back Exhaust (ERZ Catless UP/DP and GMS Catback 3" Exhaust)

Anything else I should be looking to add during this upgrade? TMIC? Suggestions on maybe other turbo kits or exhaust?

Also, I'm living in South Florida (Boca Raton area) and would like to know a good shop in the area to take my car to for installs and tuning.

Thanks in advance!

• I Donated

Meh on the VF52. Get a BNR 16G instead. Or, since it looks like you want to go with upgraded fueling, maybe a BNR HTA68?

Also, how long did you run the engine with a bad turbo? Make sure there aren't a bunch of turbo shavings that will destroy your bottom end still in there.

BTW, up to you on the exhaust, but I am happy with the noise level of the stock exhaust. The UP and DP are necessary upgrades, though.

Meh on the VF52. Get a BNR 16G instead. Or, since it looks like you want to go with upgraded fueling, maybe a BNR HTA68?

If I don't have to upgrade the fueling with a small upgrade to the turbo, that would be great. I just assumed that more than stock was needed with a turbo upgrade.

Also, how long did you run the engine with a bad turbo? Make sure there aren't a bunch of turbo shavings that will destroy your bottom end still in there.

I just heard the noise today on the drive to work and it was only when the turbo was boosting. Once I heard the noise, I tried to keep the car under 2500-3000 rpms. The car is going to the shop tomorrow to confirm, but I will be driving another vehicle until I get it fixed. After describing to a couple of mechanics over the phone here in town, they said it sounded like the bearing in the turbo, but we will know for sure tomorrow morning.

• I Donated

With an Evo 16G, you only leave a bit of horsepower on the table using OEM fueling. Same with a VF52, AFAIK. 18G, 20G, or HTA68, you really need upgraded fueling to take advantage of their potential.

But yeah, you can spend the extra money on an upgraded TMIC or an FMIC. There are plusses and minuses with either option -- TMIC is not at laggy, but heat-soaks really easily, and FMIC keeps the intake charge at close to ambient temps, but lag is a concern. FMIC is also harder to install, more prone to leakage at various couplers, and some kits get rid of the bumper beam (others do not -- I would recommend one that keeps the beam), but it frees up space at the top of the bay (at the expense of making the front of the bay more crowded).

Since you are taking out your down pipe you should also replace your up pipe as well. It has a cat in that can grenade and take out your engine.....the reason Subaru stopped putting them in the Legacy. You can gut your own (harder than doing a down pipe and you'll probably ruin it), buy a gutted one from Mike at infamousperformance.net for $85 shipped (I think), get an STI up pipe, or get an aftermarket up pipe.

Archived