LegacyGT.com

natural gas / propane alternative fuels

so as i am in brazil and gas is very expensive.

we jsut got a dodge dakota pick up with the 3.9L v6 engine.

It came with natural gas kit, ( two tanks in the box and small controler under hood and timming retard thingy )

with the price of gas here its about 150$ to pill up the 80 L tank. yes gas here is about 7-8$ a gallon witch gets about 180-200 km per tank (20% ethanol fuel)

to fill the natural gas tanks it cost about 30$ and the truck gets even greater fuel ecomomy about 260-300 km per tank.

this is also very common in europe with propane kits it costs about 1/4 to drive your car.

so guess what the buckaru is getting next !!

the thing is these kits are stupid simple, since natural gas and propane are wide band burn fuels ( will latch on with what ever o2 molecules and burn anyways) they simply put a injector into the air duct before the throttle body.

and just turn it on !!. i will use megasquirt and aditional injectors to do this way more precisely. ( bbq propane tank upside down feeding injector(s))

and what ever timming map that is needed.

what i am not sure about is the use of propane in high hp, i'm not sure about its piston cooling abilities so some further research will be done. but i plan to run on propane for idle and cruse.

i'm sure you guys will insert productive comments below. :p

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

well i have my 12 injector intake that i had on sunbird with the same engine.

i was thinking about doing it that way. but aprently it realy doesn't even matter !

but yea two sets of multiport injectors would be the best case,

but you should see how crude these thigns are set up and the truck drives great. its a little less power but for the savings and the is a switch so you can go back to gas anytime you like.

it could be as simple as map based pressure regulator and on off valve.

you could literally just shove a hose in the airbox and drive around. its what the professional kits are down here.

Archived