LegacyGT.com

EU / AUDM 2008-2009 Legacy / Liberty OEM Nav - pics, information, discussion

SVXdc

Some European and Australian Legacy/Liberty models have a different AVN HU (Audio/Video/Navigation) than USDM models. Visionhu posted this picture of the front of a EDM LHD HU and display in this thread:

403421584_Visionhu2008-9LegacyEDMRadio2.thumb.jpg.dd8aa4c1153eef89646c325cde68fa24.jpg

Cornelius posted in the huge 'OEM navi features hack' thread (which discusses the nav found in 2005-2009 USDM Legacies). Since this OEM nav HU is not the same, I thought it would be better to split that discussion off into a separate thread. With any luck, we'll work out the pin assignments for all of the various connectors.

[picture of the back of my navi in] EU model 2009 legacy 2.0 Diesel

http://i39.tinypic.com/j6llqr_th.jpg

(click to see larger image)

Interesting. Lots of connections there. The (gray) TMC connector suggests this is a Kenwood unit as well. Nothing that looks like camera or video input, thoug - at least not obvious.

Is yours DVD based as well or have they moved to storage cards for the maps?

my maps are in dvd and there is dual DVD drives for use, navigation disc is constantly in [the second drive], i search that 24pin white connector has aux video input and subwoofer on/output&grounds still not connected. Bought today the pins for the connectors and i'm making it one again.

His Navi HU is very similar to the one used in 2008-2011 USDM Impreza and 2009-2011 USDM Forester. I've posted information about tbe USDM version (including pin-outs) in my 'Stock HU info' thread here (2nd half of post #11 in that thread).

http://ae64.com/images-e41/Subaru_Kenwood_nav_rear-th.jpg

The white 8-pin socket is for the rear view camera.

A European variation of the Impreza/Forester Navi HU adds a socket for a Kenwood RDS-TMC Data Receiver (Radio Data System Traffic Message Channel)

(see picture this thread on SubaruForester.org. Also see this thread).

Cornelius' Navi has the RDS-TMC socket, plus two additional sockets. The green 6-pin socket looks like one on the 2010 USDM Legacy/Outback nav HUs.

In 2010 USDM Legacy/Outbacks, the rear of the Navi HU looks very similar. However, there are significant differences, so that should have its own thread. Here's one:

[for 2010-2011 Legacy/Outback]

Edited by SVXdc

I have a couple of questions:

What other markets and Legacy/Outback model years use a navi HU like the one Cornelius has?

Could we see pictures of the front and the label on the top? :)

Edited by SVXdc

• 2 weeks later...

atmurray posted several pictures of the harnesses and sockets on the back of his RHD AUDM HU, as well as the label in his thread here on LGT:

Model number (for RHD AUDM) is FZDA07MRHF2.

Also see these threads on liberty.asn.au:

atmurray found this "Cord Convert" cable from Subaru, P/N H0010AG100 (not available in the US). Price is about USD $50 to $80 (depending on which country you find it). It connects between the HU's 24-pin socket and the car's harness, and adds RCA jacks for aux A/V input, video output, and subwoofer output:

1005027211_H0010AG100CordConvertharness.thumb.jpg.031a766b4e18a2eaa61047194873c16a.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zpmw5c_th.jpg

He drew this wiring diagram, showing which pins it passes through from car to HU and which have the new RCA jacks and other wires:

http://i47.tinypic.com/zkq3cp_th.jpg

Since this 24-pin socket is so similar to the one on 2008-up Impreza and 2009-up Forester, I strongly suspect that:

• The subwoofer output is balanced, mono. Pin 24 (labeled as a second "Sub Out Ground") is actually the inverted version of the sub output signal. Pin 12 ("Sub Out") is the positive signal.
  • Pin 14 is likely simply a ground (since the Aux Enable input -- pin 9 -- needs to be connected to chassis ground).

We'll need to see the wiring diagrams to find out what pin 1 ("unknown") is. [ADDED:] Pin 1 is used for anti-theft security on these OEM Kenwood satnav HUs in some Subaru models (none in USA).

Edited by SVXdc

• 2 weeks later...

Thought to chime in the discussion, may help if anyone needs a hand wiring his car. To be short: installed EDM AVN HU into USDM LGT without any problems.

Wiring almost matches the original connectors, had to split some for the INFO part to work properly. Now I only need to source a new instrument cluster, 'cause the trip info is a bit messed up, MPG vs liters/100km, fahrenheit vs celsius etc.

All working fine, except the voice guidance, that may be turned off, but just can't find the way to turn it back (either can't find a manual for this HU)

Also got the full service manual for this HU, with all diagrams.

Edited by Visionhu

• 4 weeks later...
Thought to chime in the discussion, may help if anyone needs a hand wiring his car. To be short: installed EDM AVN HU into USDM LGT without any problems.

How does the HU connect to the display -- how many cables, and to which socket(s) on the HU?

All working fine, except the voice guidance, that may be turned off, but just can't find the way to turn it back (either can't find a manual for this HU)
Several Impreza/Forester owners here in the US transplanted the Impreza/Forester Navi into their cars. For most people, everything worked great. A few said that the voice guidance did not work for them.

There is a screen where you can adjust the guidance volume, but that did not help. The screen is labeled "NAV. MENU" with volume < > (decrease/increase) buttons at the bottom. There is another button to the right that may be a mute: <)))

I think the problem might be that the Vehicle Speed Signal wire was not connected correctly (or that their cars were not providing a compatible VSS signal that the Navi wanted to see). Go to the "Vehicle Signal" screen and check that the "SPD." field reads the correct speed while you're moving.

Edited by SVXdc

I checked my speed signal, its working perfectly. I think it has to do with the navi DVD, as Subaru forgot about Central Europe and I'm forced to use Totyota DVDs :( Maybe the file system is not exacly the same, and voices work differently than Subaru's (?)

• 8 months later...

Several people have had problems with some cheap Chinese rear-view cameras with this type of Navi HU (2008-up Impreza, 2009-up Forester, and 2008-2009 European and Australian Legacy/Liberty/Outback). See posts on Forester forums starting here (posts #24 and after).

Bottom line: Avoid the cheap-quality cameras. Be sure to test your camera connected to the actual rear camera input before you spend any time installing it (and especially before you disassemble your trim or tailgate, drill holes, cut wires, glue things, etc.).

Edited by SVXdc

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Some European and Australian Legacy/Liberty models have a different AVN HU (Audio/Video/Navigation) than USDM models. Visionhu posted this picture of the front of a EDM LHD HU and display in this thread:

[ATTACH]86147[/ATTACH]

Cornelius posted in the huge 'OEM navi features hack' thread (which discusses the nav found in 2005-2009 USDM Legacies). Since this OEM nav HU is not the same, I thought it would be better to split that discussion off into a separate thread. With any luck, we'll work out the pin assignments for all of the various connectors.

Could you post the part numbers of both the screen and the HU?

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone :)

I also got this head unit in Outback 2008MY. Mine is Kenwood FZDA07ELEF2, also known as FZDA07EREF2 FZDA07MRHF2 for other markets. Here is manual for it.

I don’t want to replace it with some other system, because something like GX-204 is not much better, and no good aftermarket head units are represented. So I’m trying to make it more useful with available components.

The first think which I tried to change is connecting iPhone to that system. I used a Russian analog of GROM-Audio called "Trioma" (it is not 100% same, but looks like it is also using cd-changer inputs), but I couldn’t switch HU to changer mode! Still HU has 20pin connector and iPhone is charging up.

Obvious solution is activating AUX, but you would be able to select tracks with steering wheel control.

So, who knows if it is possible to connect iPhone (or activate cd-changer)?

Another things I ordered is mentioned above cord converter (hope I will activate AUX and install subwoofer), Kenwood TM320 for actual road situation (rather difficult to find), and rear camera (I’ve ordered pins from ae64.com + camera from aliexpress). Hopefully all this stuff will arrive to me in few moths and I’ll make an installation report :)

I also got this head unit in Outback 2008MY. Mine is Kenwood FZDA07ELEF2, also known as FZDA07EREF2 FZDA07MRHF2 for other markets. Here is manual for it.

I don’t want to replace it with some other system, because something like GX-204 is not much better, and no good aftermarket head units are represented. So I’m trying to make it more useful with available components.

The first think which I tried to change is connecting iPhone to that system. I used a Russian analog of GROM-Audio called "Trioma" (it is not 100% same, but looks like it is also using cd-changer inputs), but I couldn’t switch HU to changer mode! Still HU has 20pin connector and iPhone is charging up.

Obvious solution is activating AUX, but you would be able to select tracks with steering wheel control.

So, who knows if it is possible to connect iPhone (or activate cd-changer)?

Another things I ordered is mentioned above cord converter (hope I will activate AUX and install subwoofer), Kenwood TM320 for actual road situation (rather difficult to find), and rear camera (I’ve ordered pins from ae64.com + camera from aliexpress). Hopefully all this stuff will arrive to me in few moths and I’ll make an installation report :)

Is it possible to help me find a used one along with it's screen for LHD??

Is it possible to help me find a used one along with it's screen for LHD??

Well, while I was googling that numbers found that - http://www.bildelsbasen.se/?link=item&post_id=24658574

they sell it somewhere in sweden, not sure about details because don't speak swedish :)

But, keep in mind this is really rare HU, and maybe it will be easier for you to install somethink like Kenwood GX-204

I’ll make an installation report :)

I'm afraid it won't help you. I tried to install a GROM-Audio on mine and I enabled the AUX entry, but still I can't get it to switch to CDC. You'll get the AUX on the touch screen and the aux button on the HD will switch to the 3.5mm jack entry. No more.

But I agree, there must be a way to activate the CDC. If you find it, report.

Thanks for the manual, I'll dig in it, just in case.

• 3 years later...

hello everyone.

I need KENWOOD FZDA-07ELEF2 / FZDA-07EREF2 service manual or part number of wire harness that connect the radio, cd charger and dvd...

i bought a HU, but seller sent me all the cables cutted

Could help me anybody?

Edited by bullit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
At last, i got all the wiring diagram to connect the system.

is possible install a Navi,CD,BT HU in a car wich doesn´t had before.

Works properly

I know is an old one but is there any chance that you can share the wiring diagram for the system? Thanks!