LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Wagon or Forester XT Premium?

jpmac55

Greetings - I am on the fence deciding between these two models. I have owned several Subaru's and am quite familar with the differences. Still, I am interested in learning if you struggled between the two.

Personally, I like the size of the Forester but recognize the new Legacy GT has lots of upgrades. I drive around 35K miles per year so I will be in the car quite a bit. Is the Forester XT really as much fun as advertised or are folks making the most of perhaps a lesser vehicle? I owned and enjoyed a WRX before impulsively buying a VW R32. I am anxious to come back to the Subaru family.

Thanks in advance for taking time to reply! - John

Well, the Forester XT just made Car & Driver's Best Five Trucks list as best small SUV.

But if you're torn between Legacy and Forester, perhaps the Outback would be a good compromise?

these forum things are cool, especially when you (i'm speaking of myself) feel like gabbing about cars you like. my first new car was a 1985 white golf gti 5 speed no frills model. i remember regretting not having a/c when we too it to spring break in daytona. we actually made it to daytona when MTV had their first beach party(i'm dating myself)

here is what i think for you, 5speed lgt limited wagon. you deserve it. i tell you, for all the utility you get out of it, (and yes i have a sedan) i think it is a sharp looking vehicle and the value to me is outstanding.

the forester has its place and i know that the turbo is right on par with the legacy, but for me (and this is my main reason) it just doesn't have the looks that I like. i don't like to consider it a lesser vehicle at all, it has outstanding reviews in many departments including crash tests etc.

i've looked at the forester. i even tried to get my wife interested in it as an alternative to her land yacht tahoe. but it is too crossoverish for me being kind of a car guy. i dont want to throw a wrench(and your cash) into this but the 05 legacy outback wagons all duded up would really get my attention if i needed ground clearance and light offroad capability

just my two cents

This is not my beautiful car.

If you wanted a powerful city vehicle that has great visibilty, could handle all the potholes thrown at it, and would be easy to park, I'd go with the FXT. Or, if you wanted a vehicle to get you to a cabin on a dirt road no matter what the weather, I'd go FXT.

But to drive 35K a year, I would have to go with the LGT. Quieter, more refined, more balanced in performance.

-B

Since I own both a LGT Ltd Wagon and a Forester (non XT) there is definitely a marked difference between the two. I've also test driven a ton of FXTs trying to decide whether we're replacing my wife's Forester with an FXT or an OBXT.

Take the power equation out of the picture and you definitely have two different vehicles. The Forester is lighter on it's feet and feels more nimble, where the LGT is every bit as competent, just does it with more refinement and panache. The FXT lacks the buttoned down feeling of the LGT (somewhat due to it's raised suspension, somewhat due to its shorter wheelbase) but conversely feels more spirited 0-100 than the LGT. Brakes on the LGT are much, much better than the FXT by a factor of 10.

I have not had the LGT to the snow but I can tell you that, IME, the Forester is one heck of a snow and winter weather car. Again, this is partly due to its raised suspension, which would be a limiter for the LGT in deep snow. I've forged through some trackless roads with a full 12 inches of heavy, wet snow on the ground in our Forester and made it through with no drama whatsoever. And this on the stock All Season Geolanders. I suspect I could not do this with the LGT because I would be pushing a lot of snow in that same situation.

We've taken a couple of long trips in our Forester and the ride, while comfortable, feels confining after a few hours behind the wheel. In the LGT, the miles just float by comfortably. The mileage is very similar between the two vehicles and while the FXT has a bit more roof height inside, the LGT Wagon has a longer cargo area. I think, overall we can get a bit more stuff inside the LGT than we can inside the Forester. It just distributes more evenly in the Forester due to the LGT Wagon's raked back window, compared to the Forester's more upright rear hatch.

On the other hand, the OBXT has a bit more ground clearance IIRC, than the FXT. You give up little in the OBXT (Smaller brakes, slower steering ratio, larger tires) compared to the LGT so given your criteria, the OBXT sounds like it might actually be the better vehicle for you. It has all of the power of either the FXT or the LGT Wagon, with a more supple, accomodating ride than either and it will get you through the winter weather equally as well as the FXT.

Having owned AWD Subaru's for over 30 years, their get it done capability is legendary, especially in the snow belt where they get through when others won't or can't. Given your geographic location, I would think that this would be a major criteria for you. Also, you mentioned your annual mileage was 35K nearly double the California average of 18K and that's a lot of driving. The FXT would get you through, but I'm confident you'd be much more comfortable doing it in the the OBXT or the LGT Wagon. If it's mostly highway cruising where the roads are reasonably clear and you don't have to get lightly off-road on trails, then go with the LGT Wagon and enjoy it. Otherwise, I'd think that the OBXT would better fit your requirements.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Since I previously owned a 1998 Forester S, I did go through a comparison between the Forester XT, Legacy GT wagon and OBXT.

With my 98 Forester S, I enjoyed the nimble handling (excellent for a vehicle of it's class), but I wanted a few more things in my next vehicle: more refinement, power and better handling.

The Forester XT clearly has better power. It's interior was also much improved over my old 98 model. The cabin used nicer materials with better fit and finish. NVH was also improved, but it still sounded like a Forester. Handling was more or less the same. The FXT was a great value, but it didn't have everything I was looking for. Also, I didn't like the tranny choices it offered: a short 5MT (which partially accounts for it's great 0-60) or a 4EAT. Given more traffic and family duty, I was hoping for a 5EAT.

The OBXT/Legacy GT wagon's interior is noticeably more refined than the Forester XT. The quality of the materials are up another notch and NVH, at least two notches. While they longer wheelbases made them less nimble, handling was better. Also, both offered the 5EAT or a more reasonably geared 5MT. What made me go with the LGT wagon was handling and better braking hardware.

So, my verdict: If you are on a tight budget but want versatility and great bang for the buck, go with the FXT. However, if it is in your financial means and you want all the good stuff of the FXT but with a much more comfortable ride -- go with either the LGT wagon or OBXT.

Ken

The R32 is a driving marvel but has a few things I am not crazy about. First, there is a big handling difference compared to any of the Subies I have owned when driving in wet, snowy, cold conditions. Other R32 owners have had some minor electrical problems. I also find it a bit uncomfortable to get in and out of. Trunk space is very limited. Needed to buy winter rims and tires. No spare. Anyway, I decided to get back inside a Subaru before I get too many miles on it. BTW, I might be leaning toward a Forester XT for financial reasons since my R32 was only bought at the end of last May.

You all made the right decision buying a GT. It is as much fun and a whole lot more practical than most street racers.

The R32 is a driving marvel but has a few things I am not crazy about. First, there is a big handling difference compared to any of the Subies I have owned when driving in wet, snowy, cold conditions. Other R32 owners have had some minor electrical problems. I also find it a bit uncomfortable to get in and out of. Trunk space is very limited. Needed to buy winter rims and tires. No spare. Anyway, I decided to get back inside a Subaru before I get too many miles on it. BTW, I might be leaning toward a Forester XT for financial reasons since my R32 was only bought at the end of last May.

You all made the right decision buying a GT. It is as much fun and a whole lot more practical than most street racers.

went and read a car and driver (or maybe it was r&t) review about the r32, the philosophy on limited production, the plusses over the anniv edition and I felt like buying one.

looks like a great car and hopefully you will find another happy owner-i think you may be better off selling it privately with transfer of warranty etcetera.

there is no way to prevent getting soaked on a trade-don't let them make you think it is risky to sell private-it is not that bad.

the bright side is that when you get a new FXT the people in the vw microbusses will still wave to you!!!!!!!

good luck and good driving

I teed up a Legacy Ltd. wagon today! I will be getting it on Friday. Thanks to all that responded to this and other posts. I drove both the Forester XT and the Legacy wagon again before deciding. As you all know, it wasn't that hard a decision afterall! :D

I teed up a Legacy Ltd. wagon today! I will be getting it on Friday. Thanks to all that responded to this and other posts. I drove both the Forester XT and the Legacy wagon again before deciding. As you all know, it wasn't that hard a decision afterall! :D

Congratulations on your new car. Keep the shiny side up!

Many Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you will really like it. The only problem is that the VW "Microbus People" may not wave to you now...........thats the price you pay.

Seriously ,if I wasn't so buried in the sedan, and so impulsive myself, I should have given more time to the LGT wagon.

Many Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you will really like it. The only problem is that the VW "Microbus People" may not wave to you now...........thats the price you pay.

Seriously ,if I wasn't so buried in the sedan, and so impulsive myself, I should have given more time to the LGT wagon.

I appreciate your comments! I doubt I'd see anyone waving at me anyway....I tend to drive a bit on the spirited side....

I think we all go through buyers remorse, especially on a car. I kept saying to myself I didn't need the Legacy - the Forester XT is more than enough car. I went back and forth on the sedan as well. The main reason why I went wagon was my wife recently traded in her Rav4 for a Prius. I didn't want to wish for more cargo space so opted for the wagon. The sedan would have been perfect for me as it will be for you! - John

I went with the Forester XT limited with premium package. I got it for $26,600. A GT Limited Wagon that I would want invoiced at $29,600. I assume I could get it for $29,000. That's $2,400 difference plus I got a $2,000 rebate. I'm putting a STi rear sway bar plus stronger endlinks to help the handling of the Forester. That's a little over $300. I would love a GT wagon but it's still 4K more than I spent and 98% of my driving is on city streets, not across great distances on the freeway. I also need to go offroad on trails a few times a year. I worry about GT wagon doing that. I sure wish I had the onroad performance of the GT though. if it had the rebate and not the Forester who knows what I would have done. I just thought the Forester was more of a jack of all trades. I gave up on road performance to have some offroad. The Outback XT would have been ideal but it's too much $$$$$$$.

Archived