LegacyGT.com

Anyone have this problem? 2005 Legacy 2.5GT

I recently bought a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT. I've owned it about 3 months and put about 5k miles on it. Lately I've been noticing the transmission shifts rough between 2nd and 3rd gear. When I'm accelerating moderately (RPM's around 3k) and the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear (i have the 5 speed automatic transmission) the whole car seems to shake or shutter. Sometimes its mild, sometimes more dramatic.

This never happens when shifting between other gears, nor does it happen when I accelerate hard or slowly.

Could this have something to do with the AWD or transmission? This is my first Subaru and maybe there are some wierd vibrations/shutter as part of the AWD system distributing torque and I just need to get used to it. I still have plenty of time left on my warrenty, however, if this is a serious problem in the making I want it fixed ASAP.

Any ideas?

It started at 15k and it still does it at 35k with the same intensity, so it doesn't look like it's getting worse.

I've reliably reproduced it to the dealer twice and the last time the Tech rode with me and hooked up the Subaru Select Monitor to see what the transmission is doing. We found out that right after the 2nd->3rd shift the Torque Converter locks up and that's when the hard shake/shutter occurs. The Tech relayed that the Tech Line and District Rep say that this is normal for the Torque Converter to cause a harsh shake but that's un-f$cking-acceptable.

My service manager is setting up a 1-on-1 appointment with the District Rep so I can reproduce, express my disappointment and discuss how this will be resolved.

If they can't/won't solve it, I'll either have SoA pay someone else to fix or I'll fight to Lemon it.

Mods, please don't move this thread, I would like it get as much visibility as possible.

I keed I keeed

Mine doesnt do that yet. knock on wood.

Sorry to barge in here. For mine, I notice today the tranny didnt upshift until the RPM went over 4K. It did this while going from 1st to 2nd then from 2nd to 3rd gear. I wasnt flooring the pedal or anything - it was steadily acceleration. This is the second time this happened - dont know if anyone experience the same thing.

Ya, I noticed the same thing. It will do that from time to time. Not sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 5eat will adjust to the way you drive and when cornering. Sometimes the tranny/computer will think you're driving more aggresive and hold the gear a little longer - even if you're not in sport mode.

Let's not get off the subject though, still trying to find the answer to my shutter/shaking problems.

Usually depending on when yr service interval is, I have noticed on my MY01 that the shifts can be a little strange and do hold a little longer than usual. If this is causing u great concern, just call yr SA on the phone and ask them before taking the GT in.

Let us know how you go as Im sure there would be a lot of parties in the same boat.

Ada///M.

agctr,

The holding of gears is not an issue but a feature of the transmission since it is equipped with a G-sensor to determine when you're taking a turn and therefore holds the gear longer.

The issue is an excessive shock coming right at the 2nd->3rd shift in D, Sport or Manumatic mode under light to WOT acceleration. Will piss you off especially in light stop-and-go traffic.

I keed I keeed

If 5EAT means manual then ya. It really pisses me off, I took it to the dealer already and they just bleed the clutch but it still happens.

5EAT = 5 speed Electronic Automatic Transmission

Your issues going into reverse on the 5MT are somewhat common and probably not a cause for concern. Since there is no synchro for reverse, it's a little difficult to engage sometimes.

The 5EAT is the 5-speed automatic, the 5MT is the manual.

So your problems are on the 5MT and not the 5EAT, which what this thread is about.

As for the issue of a shock on the 2nd->3rd shift on the 5MT, it's the rear differential popping/whining about it. Just ease/smooth out your shifting to avoid that. Try to shift after torque has peaked.

As for your issue with reverse, just double-clutch or shift into 1st or 2nd first, then reverse.

Now back on-topic, again the issue is an excessive shock right at the 2nd->3rd shift on the 5-speed automatic transmission.

I keed I keeed

The issue is an excessive shock right at the 2nd->3rd shift on the 5-speed automatic transmission.

I think mine may have done this once. Was more like a stutter though, car bucked a bit like stuck between boost and vac. Maybe I'm just paranoid from reading these post.

only 1500 miles so i haven't had ths shudders - only when i pee. just kidding but i hope i make you guys laugh.

i have had the holding-revs-higher-than-wanted-not-in-sport-mode thing though. guess the car is anticipating aggressive acceleration?

I get that sometimes when Im on and off the loud pedal really quickly but otherwise its fine. And I know this is totally different but it must be similar to the SMGII shifts in the M3 which are very hard but this happens in most gears in modes S4 S5 & S6 so I do know what you mean. Could it be a low level of fluid in the tranny prehaps ? Just a thought ?

Ada///M.

I haven’t had any problems with mine in 10k miles.

For any of you who are experiencing problems, have you checked your transmission fluid level and/or quality? I think the recommended ATF change interval is fairly long. I’m probably going to get mine at least drained and filled after 2 years.

agctr,

I'm not hopping on it and getting off real quick. E.g.

1. I'm stopped at a light

2. 5EAT in Normal D mode

3. Light turns green and I tip in(30%) or go WOT(100%) on the throttle

4. 1st->2nd shift happens smoothly

5. Still at partial throttle(30%) or WOT(100%)

6. 2nd->3rd shift happens with a big and loud shock that shakes the whole car

7. Still at partial throttle(30%) or WOT(100%)

8. 3rd->4th shift happens smoothly just like 1st->2nd

To avoid the shock, I have to totally lift off the throttle right before it shifts so that the least amount of torque is going thru the transmission.

I keed I keeed

I haven’t had any problems with mine in 10k miles.

For any of you who are experiencing problems, have you checked your transmission fluid level and/or quality? I think the recommended ATF change interval is fairly long. I’m probably going to get mine at least drained and filled after 2 years.

Actually, the recommended interval is (30mo) 30k for ATF ((15mo)15k for severe duty schedule). The ATF plays a huge part in the operation of an automatic transmission and the torque converter. In addition, it is subjected to amazing amounts of shearing and heat stress. If I encounter an AT with harsh shifting, the first thing I would do is change the ATF to see if it makes a difference. The way a lot of us drive our Legacies, it's important to follow the severe service schedule.

Archived