LegacyGT.com

2005 OBXT Hitch Install (Bike Rack)

BennyNW

So I have a 2005 Outback XT LTD and am looking to get a hitch rack. I have a hookup through Thule so I'm looking to get a hitch rack so I can carry 4 bikes. I already have the factory dog gate in the back for my dog and I am really eyeing the Thule Revolver because I can keep the bikes on the rack and still open the trunk (swinging the rack out of the way). Only issue is that this rack only fits a 2" hitch and from the research I am doing it shows that you can only install a 1 1/4" hitch on the 2005 Outback. Anybody out there have some experience with this or any insight? I have a raptor roof rack from my previous Outback, but long term I'm thinking of getting a Thule rooftop box carrier. Thanks for your help.

Yakima makes a 1 1/4" drawbar adapter for their hitch racks.

Was one of the reason I bought one of their racks instead, because it works with the factory hitch.

That's not the issue. You won't be able to carry the weight of four bikes w/ a 1 1/4" hitch. A 2" receiver hitch is necessary to carry 4 bikes.

Just found this: http://www.trailerhitchesone.com/subaru-legacy-trailer-hitch-from-hidden-hitch.html

seems like a good deal, would I need anything else to put this on the car and attach the bike rack? It doesn't say what size the receiver is either?

Hidden Hitch makes both. Unfortunately, when I bought my car 5 years ago, only 1 1/4" receiver hitches were offered, so that's what I have. IMO, it hangs down too low compared to the factory hitch. (This is less of an issue w/ the higher ground clearance of an OBXT though.) I would buy a 2" receiver hitch if I were in the market now.

Archived