LegacyGT.com

Random shut offs

I have a 97 L it'll shut down randomly sometimes and it'll start back up.Other times like this morning and a few days ago it shut down,and it wont start back up.I give it a couple of hours like if im at work or something come back and it'll crank right up.I had the battery checked thats fine.Had the alternator checked and that checked out fine.Before all of this started i did a tune up including replacing the knock sensor.(check engine light) had that cleared ran it through inspection and passed now i have a p0400 code.but that shouldnt cause the car to shut down like that in stumped any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

sorry about that fellas when it shuts down its usually when its warm.I get all my accessories, lights and all. When i turn the key it will not crank at all the starter wont even click.i also forgot to mention that i also replaced the starter other than that the car still has alot of pep to have sat as long as it did and 195,xxx miles on it

I'd clean your EGR valve (have a new gasket on hand when you reinstall it) and your check vacuum lines. Check your ground connection to your starter as well (although that wouldn't cause it to die while running) because that might be why it won't even click and your starter relay.

Probably wouldn't hurt to run a bottle of HEET injector cleaner. Other things to check would be the fuel pump, injectors, and ignition coil. You might have a few problems going on at once.

edit: On the passengers side of the engine bay is a vacuum line running from the passengers strut tower to the engine bay that has a small (quarter size in diameter), round filter on it. they are $7 from Subaru. Replace that as well.

I'd clean your EGR valve (have a new gasket on hand when you reinstall it) and your check vacuum lines. Check your ground connection to your starter as well (although that wouldn't cause it to die while running) because that might be why it won't even click and your starter relay.

Probably wouldn't hurt to run a bottle of HEET injector cleaner. Other things to check would be the fuel pump, injectors, and ignition coil. You might have a few problems going on at once.

edit: On the passengers side of the engine bay is a vacuum line running from the passengers strut tower to the engine bay that has a small (quarter size in diameter), round filter on it. they are $7 from Subaru. Replace that as well.

post pics if u gottem i went out this morning to check my grounds and things of that nature,all that i can find seem to be in good condition nothing frayed or corroded.I also looked at and checked all of the vacuum lines. They all seem to be in good condition. i let the car warm up to o/t went for a quick ride and it stalled once but fired right back up How do you clean an egr valve and iacv (if at all possible to clean the iacv on these cars) never did before ive heard of people doing it before but never attempted it my self

Welcome.

Here is link to FSM. http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

Try the search function you'll probably find some threads with pics.

If you don't find anything, get back and we'll try to give you a step by step.

EGR is very simple, the IACV is a little more involved, but not hard.

Add your 97 L to your profile so we'll know what car you may be referring to.

O.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
sorry for taking so long to reply turns out what was causing the shut downs and no starts was the cam position sensor replaced that and havent had a problem since beside the egr flow dtc

Archived