LegacyGT.com

I'm confused about my clutch (replacement)

i drive an 05 LGT.

i'm getting a weird chattering from my clutch and wondering if it's time to replace place. i've got 92k miles on the odometer, but i think the clutch was replaced by a previous owner at about 45k miles.

how do i tell if it's time to get it replaced? can't tell that it's slipping in any gear, but it seems to have been chattering a lot more recently. what's causing this? don't think i abuse my clutch, i'm usually pretty gentle off the line.

do i just remove the TMIC, remove that plug and look inside?

now worse case is replacement. I've read a little bit and the more i read, the more confused i get.

from Fred Beans:

NOTES:

-The 05-06 Legacy GT uses a "Dual Mass" Flywheel & is Significantly more expensive. ($326 without flywheel)

-The 07-09 Legacy GT uses a "Single Mass" Flywheel ($290 without flywheel)

-We have supplied many 05-06 Legacy owners with the 07+ Clutch & Flywheel kit in order to reduce cost. Fitment & Driveability is fine. ( call us if you have any questions )

-If your Legacy GT is a late 2004 Model Year, please call us prior to ordering. This set-up may not work properly in your vehicle.

also heard someone else replacing the clutch with a 06/07 WRX clutch with the flywheel.

So..... what say you? not looking for any "performance clutch" but open to suggestions and opinions.

06-07 WRX is the same as 07-09 Legacy GT's. It will work fine in your car.

You should also get the TSK3 TOB kit.

IMO do not put a oem replacement clutch in it, go with a aftermarket clutch.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My Spec 2 clutch in my 05 wagon feels a lot like the oem clutch in my 09 Spec B.

The stock clutch is weak at best. They will slip when I back up in 3" of wet snow. All 3 of my wagons since my 1998 would do that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

well, i plan to go stage 2 in the spring. but nothing fancy.

and that's part of the problem. there's SO MUCH it gets difficult to keep things straight. and honestly, the signal to noise ratio can be pretty bad at times.

i do like the dual mass though. much easy in slow/stop-and-go traffic.

you do not 'get more power' from a lwfw. less energy is needed to rotate the engine so it rev's more quickly. It may allow for a small increase of power to the wheels as there will be slightly less drivetrain loss. But if you like the dmfw for stop and go traffic, you will probably be unhappy with a lwfw. Going lightweight however, will not yield any CEL.

you do not 'get more power' from a lwfw. less energy is needed to rotate the engine so it rev's more quickly. It may allow for a small increase of power to the wheels as there will be slightly less drivetrain loss. But if you like the dmfw for stop and go traffic, you will probably be unhappy with a lwfw. Going lightweight however, will not yield any CEL.

I know wrx lightweight flywheels have some occurances with pulling codes of misfireing on the gt. Exactly my point sir, more power is more power.

Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

Get the whole clutch kit which comes with pressure plate, clutch disc, alignment tool, and stock throwout bearing. Buy the tko3 kit (worth it) and flywheel. You'll have a pretty different feel to your clutch pedal depending on which clutch you go with but I love the feel

I wouldnt go with a stock wrx flywheel I would go with an aftermarket legacy lightweight (which should be the same) but from a local guy I go to with questions says he sometimes runs into problems with them. Spec makes a light weight flywheel, ACT makes one. They are out there just look for them. Fredbeansparts.com might have them take a look.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-me-new-act-sb5-hdss-clutch-kit-subaru-wrx-193177.html

Found this on the sale forums has links to clutch kit and flywheel goodies. Just my opinion btw on the flywheel I dont have any proof just going on what I've heard. I had the ACT single mass and I had no trouble. Definitly could feel a difference top end with the flywheel.

I have the Spec LWFW, I would not do that again. Go with a SM steel FW. The 07-09 oem unit will work. Contact one of the vendors here if you need one.

LWFW = light weight fly wheel

SM = single mass FW

DMFW = dual mass FW

oem = orginal equipment manufacture

Can you figure out what FW ='s (equal's) ?

• I Donated

I agree with cypher. If the OP likes the DMFW because it's nice in traffic, getting a LWFW would be exactly the wrong route to go. I had a LWFW in my old Infiniti G20 and loved it, but it's definitely harder to drive in traffic, and I've heard that a LWFW on an AWD car is not as easy to drive as on a FWD car, which my G20 was.

OP, get a SMFW from an 06-07 WRX or an 07-09 LGT. And I would recommend against a Spec clutch. I've heard a lot of bad things about them, Max Capacity's experiences not withstanding. The Clutchmasters FX300 is what everyone recommends. I have one in my 05 that I'm selling, and it's not as smooth of an engagement as the stock clutch, but it's still better to drive in traffic due to the light pedal.

I was hopeing you would chime in on this thread.

May be the FX200 would be better for the OP.

I don't understand why I'm one of the few that have good luck with Spec clutches. I can't imagine it's because a wipe the FW and PP (pressure plate) faces with Acetone before I bolt things together.

• I Donated
May be the FX200 would be better for the OP.

Possibly, considering he's just going to be running Stage 2.

I don't understand why I'm one of the few that have good luck with Spec clutches. I can't imagine it's because a wipe the FW and PP (pressure plate) faces with Acetone before I bolt things together.

It's a durability problem, from what I understand. Stuff physically breaks. Acetone is not going to affect that.

Archived