LegacyGT.com

5th Gen - Tricks and tweaks

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to research "through mode" turns off the crappy factory eq settings. It sounds at once better (getting rid of electronic trickery like sound staging?) and muddier (mmmm factory speakers?). I long for a proper eq, but to be fair once I set it to "through" I was through and didn't mess with loudness or the bass/treble/mid settings. Edited by orndog

I long for a proper eq, but to be fair once I set it to "through" I was through and didn't mess with loudness or the bass/treble/mid settings.

the EQ on the nav is great if your an audio magician...

Reset at oil change for Diesels (may apply to gasoline model as well) to clear the oil dilution counter:

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this yet but others claims it works.

start engine

depress & hold brake pedal

turn rear demister on

turn parker/clearance light on

turn rear demister off

turn lights off

turn rear demister on (again)

turn parkers on (again)

turn rear demister off

turn lights off

release brake

Source: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f160/oil-change-diesel-engine-ecu-service-reset-77239/index2.html#post1034133

453747.png

Reset at oil change for Diesels (may apply to gasoline model as well) to clear the oil dilution counter:

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this yet but others claims it works.

Source: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f160/oil-change-diesel-engine-ecu-service-reset-77239/index2.html#post1034133

I Don't even know if my car has an oil light. if it does It's never been on

what garbage! i wish more people cared about gas mileage here so that i would have more diesel options and be able to mod it to have crazy torque and roll coal in a hatch

Our refineries are not set up for diesel to be our main fuel. I remember reading how refineries are built to be biased either towards diesel (Europe) or gasoline. If we took a big swing towards diesel it would mean a (temporary) diesel shortage.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any way to fold down the rear bench seats without going into the trunk?? It seems like theres nothing inside the car, maybe I just cant find the popper thing though...???

I actually really like this in my sedan. If I push the trunk release lockout inside the glove box, and then lock the glove box with my key, then the valet can't get into the trunk or the glove box using the valet key without considerable headache, a lock picking set, or a chainsaw.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but once you do the Nav-screen lockout-defeat mod, you can go into the Nav settings --> Vehicle Information screen and see how fast you are going as per the GPS, which is far more accurate *and independent of your tire size* than the speedo in the car.

If like me, you have a scan-gauge II or other digital speedo with configurable correction factor, you can use the nav system screen to correct it.

The ECU in my car reports 1% faster than actual on my summer tires and 3% faster than actual on my winters. More importantly, the gauge is wayyy off.. about 6% or more.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but once you do the Nav-screen lockout-defeat mod, you can go into the Nav settings --> Vehicle Information screen and see how fast you are going as per the GPS, which is far more accurate *and independent of your tire size* than the speedo in the car.

I think I drove around more with this screen showing than the actual map. Got so used to going into this display I could do it without even looking at the screen :lol:

Is the reference to nav-screen lockout defeat for a 2013 legacy or the earlier model? From what I have seen, 2013 nav lockout can't be defeated but I could be mistaken. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

thank you

If like me, you have a scan-gauge II or other digital speedo with configurable correction factor, you can use the nav system screen to correct it.

The ECU in my car reports 1% faster than actual on my summer tires and 3% faster than actual on my winters. More importantly, the gauge is wayyy off.. about 6% or more.

Is the reference to nav-screen lockout defeat for a 2013 legacy or the earlier model? From what I have seen, 2013 nav lockout can't be defeated but I could be mistaken. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

thank you

I have yet to see one but i also haven't looked at all. I would not doubt at all that its very similar to the previous gen screens where you just need to ground the right wire to lie to the nav a little bit

From what I have read, it looks like 2013s use GPS signal to see if you are moving, so unlike before where you ground a pin, now it looks like may have to put a switch in the middle to turn off GPS signal, do you business and turn it back on, or something like that.. way too technical for me, I was hoping for something simpler and bugaboo proof :) thx

I have yet to see one but i also haven't looked at all. I would not doubt at all that its very similar to the previous gen screens where you just need to ground the right wire to lie to the nav a little bit

From what I have read, it looks like 2013s use GPS signal to see if you are moving, so unlike before where you ground a pin, now it looks like may have to put a switch in the middle to turn off GPS signal, do you business and turn it back on, or something like that.. way too technical for me, I was hoping for something simpler and bugaboo proof :) thx

I thought thats what the '12 unit does also. but grounding that wire tells the gps that it is in park so it ignores the gps signal. i doubt that the Nav is hooked to the speedo (or rather the ecu) to tell it when the car is moving. i always figured the delay in when you start moving to when the Nav blocks you out was because of the gps's read frequency, which would also explain its delay in letting you back in.

i doubt that the Nav is hooked to the speedo (or rather the ecu) to tell it when the car is moving.

Actually, a lot of nav systems and even regular radios get a VSS (vehicle speed signal) pulse. Pretty sure at least the 2010 did.

• 5 months later...
According to research "through mode" turns off the crappy factory eq settings. It sounds at once better (getting rid of electronic trickery like sound staging?) and muddier (mmmm factory speakers?). I long for a proper eq, but to be fair once I set it to "through" I was through and didn't mess with loudness or the bass/treble/mid settings.

Thanks. Is this independent of the adjustable EQ settings (bass/mid/treble)? Does thorough mode over-ride the EQ settings?

• 1 month later...
offsite backups are the key IMO, paper or otherwise.

Toss it all in the cloud. Cloud storage is so cheap nowadays. I keep everything from Oil Changes (just learned how to do that myself as well as brakes and rotors) all the way to all my car repairs from the dealer that is under warranty (thank god I bought that) .. i always keep all records as well. Scan it send it to the cloud.

If your an Apple person, Apples cloud is cheap, but microsoft have some great pricing.

• 4 months later...
Reading through this thread and seriously thinking of giving the MPG adjustment a go on my 3.6R (previous tank pulled 21 mpg and the read out was 22.8), but I had a question regarding that as well: what is the actual size of the 3.6's fuel tank? Google says 18.5 gal, but after running the car almost 350 miles and the fuel meter being slightly under the empty line, I was only able to add 16.5 gal. Do I have an extra 2 gallons in there I could've driven or is Google wrong?

18.5 gallon tank in all 5th Gen Leggys. Fuel light is supposed to go on with 2.5 gallons remaining. By my experience, the most I ever put in my car was 18.2 gallons and I had the light on for about 60 miles of highway driving and was getting 28mpg at the time.

Reading through this thread and seriously thinking of giving the MPG adjustment a go on my 3.6R (previous tank pulled 21 mpg and the read out was 22.8), but I had a question regarding that as well: what is the actual size of the 3.6's fuel tank? Google says 18.5 gal, but after running the car almost 350 miles and the fuel meter being slightly under the empty line, I was only able to add 16.5 gal. Do I have an extra 2 gallons in there I could've driven or is Google wrong?

from my experience ~18 gallons is the usable amount in the tank (tho i've never completely run out I've come close) 1/2 gallon lost to the tank, to low for the pick up sounds about right to me so i think google is pretty much right. when my light comes on i still have a solid 50 miles left in the tank if i'm not caning it and getting 25ish MPG. so yea, about usable 2 gallons after the light comes on 2.5ish actual gallons. I've had the fuel gauge nearly down to where it rests when the cars is off so you probably had some more miles left in her

Happens to my 3.6R all the time. I average 21 mpg but my gauge willsay 22-23 mpg. Also the light will come on, I will drive 35-40 miles, fill up the car and it will only take at most 16.5-16.7 gallons. Most I've gotten out of the tank is 370-ish miles. I'm hoping to gain an extra 2-5mpg with XRT tuning. He says he can tune the A/F ratio under 3k RPM for better fuel economy, as I drive 85% under 3k RPM I'm hoping for the best.

The OM says that the fuel tank capacity is 18.5 gallons.

The OM says that the Low Fuel Light "illuminates when the tank is nearly empty approximately 2.6 US gallons."

The OM also says "This light does not turn off unless the tank is replenished up to an internal fuel quantity of approximately 3.7 US gal."

The max fuel load I've taken on is 18.068 gal, and that was after driving with the dashes showing up on the MF display for about 10-15 miles. Whenever I have gone on to see the dashes in the MF display, I took on right about 18 gallons. I'm guessing that our tanks are actually around 20-21 gallons capacity, which includes a decent reserve. I don't panic when the dashes show up, I know I've got 50+ miles left. BTW, I have a 2.5L, and I average 29.5 MPG over 38,000 miles.

So if the light comes on when it then takes on 18 gallons, then the 2.6 gallon reserve is quite comfortable.