LegacyGT.com

215/45/17 to 225/45/17?

johnAWD

Stock speed overestimates actual speed. 225/45/17 will get you closer to actual speed, prolly will still read above.

Yup, I actually found that going to a 225 make my speedometer exactly accurate, whereas it read fast with the 215s.

Yet more evidence Subaru should have used a decent 225 tire as OE :lol:

why is the sidewall taller? they are both 45/17's

The second number is a ratio of width to sidewall height, not an exact number.

Therefore, 215/45/17 has a sidewall height of 215 * .45 or 96.3mm. 225/45/17 has a sidewall height of 225 * .45 or 101.25mm.

Stock speed overestimates actual speed. 225/45/17 will get you closer to actual speed, prolly will still read above.

Is there a reason *why* the stock speedo/tires over-report actual speed ?

yes, I've even crammed on a set of 235/45/17 on the stock wheels, but I didnt like the steering response.. some others on the forums have done so and they are fine for daily driving.

going from the stock 215/45 to a 225/45/17 is hardly anything worth noting for when you use it for daily driving. At this point, the only sure bet is that you have a tire that has a slightly higher load capacity, which is nice for the heavy car..

Keefe

rain and snow you want to go narrower so you can have more psi at your contact patch to cut through the snow. Unlike dry driving where you are trying to spread your weight over a large contact spot, you want to centralize it to where you can cut into the snow and rain..
Keefe

Nah, you want 205/50/17 for winter, and depending on the tire (Nokians are narrow) 225/45/17 as well. You get some extra sidewall with either choice.

I regret not buying Nokians in 225/45/17 instead of 215/45/17.

I don't get why Xenonk is saying narrow is better in rain. Maybe in standing water, but on wet surface, wider is better.

Finally difference 225 vs. 215 contact patch wise is fairly small.

I don't get why Xenonk is saying narrow is better in rain. Maybe in standing water, but on wet surface, wider is better.

As you drive faster, you have a greater chance of hydroplaning, especially when it's a hard surface smacking up on another hard surface.. If your tires can pump out enough water, then it's fine to go wider, but the wider the tire, the more water it has to channel the water out from the center line to the edge of the tire. Also, it's a common rain setup to go as wide as you can IF your tires can handle the siping, and also lower tire pressures to soften the sidewalls to easily transition of you turning the wheel.

While the rain is an easier medium to move around the grooves of the road and tire, you have to look at how comfortable you are when comes to a wet surface or driving through the pouring rain.

Keefe

Archived