LegacyGT.com

Slow 07 lgt after major repairs, boost leak, woosh

About three months ago my turbo went. I took the car to the Subaru dealership where I bought it used sinced I also purchased a third party warranty. They replaced the turbo but then found the engine wasn't working well due to the possibility that bits from the turbo ended up in the engine. This is where the third party warranty company started to suck. They stalled sending out their adjuster but once he got there he came to the same conclusion. The dealer wanted a new short block, the warranty company approved a used one with less than 50k on it they found in CA and had it shipped to NJ where I live. The dealer had to pay for the engine upfront. The dealer looked over the used engine, replaced a few parts and installed it in my car and all repairs were done. At this point the dealer had my car for about three weeks. This is where the warranty company decided to start playing games. The dealership wouldn't release my car to me until the warranty company paid them.10 weeks later the warranty company finally paid the dealership for the engine and parts. At this point the dealership released my car to me. I have no ill will towards the dealership since I see where they were coming from, they were out over 6k in parts until they got paid by the warranty and the dealer gave me a loaner free of charge during this entire ordeal.

I've had the car for 5 days and it feels much slower than I remember and now there is a loud wooooooosh under boost. Everything is stock. I want to try and figure out what may be going on myself before I resort to taking it back to the dealership. I've read a lot on here and am going to guess I have a boost leak. I don't have a boost guage installed so I can't be sure. My game plan is to check all the regular suspects I've read on here,(t-fitting, boost pill, endtanks, other conections) and then maybe thow a boost gauge on. If I can't find anything obvious I will attempt a boost leak test. As for the woosh, I plan on checking the uppie. My bet is that someone didn't tighten something somewhere....No it's time to find it.

I just wanted to start this thread to document what I do and what I find in the hopes it may help someone else down the road. Check back soon.

So i poked around under the hood today and found a small list of problems.

-I found a screw driver left in the engine bay. I laughed.

-I found some random heavy plastic cover thing. I guess I need to find where it goes.

-No windshield wiper fluid. No problem

-Less than low level coolant. Kinda annoyed.

-Air filter really clogged bad. Still annoyed.

-Air box off of intake line. Getting really pissed.

-Stock turbo heat shield missing. WTF?

-Boost restrictor pill missing. Seriously, WTF?

I tightened the intake hose clamps and replaced the air filter(hopefully this will cure the woosh noise). I topped off the fluids. I will be going to the dealer to return the screwdriver and politely ask they order me a new boost pill and heat shield at no cost to me. Stay tuned...

After further examination I realized I'm a blithering idiot. The boost restrictor pill was in the line, I just missed it when squeezing the line with needlenose pliers. So back to finding the missing boost. I did make a boost tester using another member's design but figured I would take the tmic off first and see if I noticed anything obvious. From what I've read on here, more than a few members have had a line pop off the blue "t" under the intercooloer. After taking the tmic off I looked and coudn't find it. I thought one of the lines that went into the blue "t" was the small one from the bpv. I followed that to it's end and it just goes on a nipple that comes out of a wall under the intake manifold. Was there a redesign and the "t" was removed or were the lines routed wrong during the install? Thanks in advanced guys.

Try resetting the ecu with a code reader or unplugging the battery for 10 minutes+. See how it is after.

Hopefully they checked the filter in the banjo for the oil supply going to the turbo. It is basically under the turbo inlet. I would imagine it is clogged up and/or late oil changes that caused the turbo to fail. If it has not been replaced or removed it will definitely blow another turbo in the near future!!

My whole Subaru experience in my life with all subaru's has been basically oil changes every 5000km and monitoring the level = trouble free engine and turbo. I also run a stage 1 tune fyi.

Archived