LegacyGT.com

Cobb Intake & Air box install issues - 05 LGT

rubberman

I posted this on the Cobb forums last night, but so far no response.

Install & Fitment:

I installed the intake and cold air box last night and had some fitment issues with the lid for the box. The bracket that holds the hood support arm is in the way of the lid fitting properly. Solution was to bend the offending area of the air box lid until it wasn't touching the bracket (used a large vise to bend the aluminum several times).

Second issue was the the stock air scoop doesn't quite line up properly with the two holes for the plastic fasteners to fit back into place. I can get one back in, but the other isn't lining up at all.

I'll try to do some more adjustments on the whole assembly, but I've already spent way more time trying to shift everything back and forth using the slotted mounting bracket holes than what I think it should take to install this intake.

I've searched and found nothing on others installing this intake / cold air box on other 05 LGT's, so I don't know if others are having problems.

These fitment problems are not what I expected of a Cobb product.

Intake Sound:

One thing that I can say, I expected a little more intake noise from the turbo but not quite this much. I think that I can live with it, but it sounds pretty different and one guy riding with me to lunch today thought something was wrong with the engine. Just be aware that it will sound quite different at partial throttle vs the stock intake and be more obvious.

Pictures:

1. shows intake without air box lid

2. lid pushed into place and under the hood arm bracket (lid is NOT level and ready to attach to air box)

3. shows how much interference there is with the hood arm bracket and how the lid was supposed to trace the outline of the fender sheet metal edges

4. air box lid with bend for fitment

5. air box lid with bend and how much was required

Cobb1.thumb.jpg.12a03f0f6eeb0ffacdda3e8c405277a9.jpg

Cobb2.thumb.jpg.b72a72d409e5c4b7cccc54fde0486095.jpg

Cobb3.thumb.jpg.4f22cf881c83fc9769ebd273740f6ca0.jpg

Cobb4.thumb.jpg.e556f74181818ab0cbb23160dbc95eee.jpg

Cobb5.thumb.jpg.3ad0ea5b3d406b5b690d0bfd3bad908e.jpg

I too have the Cobb airbox and agree that fitment of the lid doesnt line up perfect and the intake noise is noticeable, otherwise i have no complaints about it

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5231/cimg0249zq0.jpg

Intake Sound:

One thing that I can say, I expected a little more intake noise from the turbo but not quite this much. I think that I can live with it, but it sounds pretty different and one guy riding with me to lunch today thought something was wrong with the engine. Just be aware that it will sound quite different at partial throttle vs the stock intake and be more obvious.

I've had this intake for several months and thought that I could also live with how loud it is but as soon as the weather is a bit warmer, I'm yanking it out. It is very irritating and not worth what little performance gain it may give.

As far as the fitment goes on mine, it wasn't perfect but not enough that I needed to bend it.

As far as the fitment goes on mine, it wasn't perfect but not enough that I needed to bend it.

I could have simply put the lid in place and let the interference push the lid to the shape that it needed to be in to fit, but I didn't want it wearing off the paint on the car bracket or the air box lid, so I chose to bend it to be sure that nothing was touching. After the bend, it actually fit much better, but lining up the lid bolt holes and being sure that the air scoop aligned correctly is seemingly impossible without some more modding.

I just installed mine and so far, I love the "noise" it produces. I had to bend the lid slightly and the instructions could've been a little more in depth; but all-in-all, an easy install and I'm very happy with the sound.

That's what I did....add an aftermarket turbo and exhaust and all you'll be hearing the wonderful spool of the turbo and the exhaust tones instead of focusing on the Cobb intake sound....;)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Anyone happen to have pictures of the hardware included?

And how does it attach to the back of the headlight where the oem one bolts on?

Bought a used one and didn't have instructions

I just scanned the Cobb install doc that came with my intake / box, send me a PM with your email and I will send the pdf file (~7.8meg). Attached are jpg's just in case.

As for the box bolt behind the headlight, (from memory since I have the stock airbox back in) the Cobb airbox should attach to the bolt the same way that the stock intake box did. Using a small wrench the nut can be loosened and then worked off the bolt, stock airbox comes out, then Cobb box has a tab that should slip in and fit right over the bolt. Here's a picture of the hardware, complete list is on the first page of the install doc (note that one black bolt is longer than the others).

650892496_CobbAirboxHardware.thumb.JPG.30aef46de1d364ae2aaef9b9a5ecbe0a.JPG

1213435029_CobbIntakePartsList.thumb.jpg.c56cbfa63ebc94668566d032616be774.jpg

Cobb2.thumb.jpg.ec18cc3a33cf1854f9d51e2ae639c90c.jpg

Cobb3.thumb.jpg.0ff025ce78c849881f6e528ffbe6c80c.jpg

Cobb4.thumb.jpg.36f7030db6a812f47c72ecb4d1fe45d2.jpg

Cobb5.thumb.jpg.f0c94f5e7a1882d1800bd3dbf187c2e4.jpg

Archived