LegacyGT.com

07-09 lgt

RawNG

Hey guys so I'm in the market for new car. Currently I own a completely stock 08 Civic Si, nice and fun car but I'm missing an AWD car. One of my previous cars was a 99 A4 2.8 and ever since then I've been hooked on AWD. I live in Connecticut so it snows here and my Si isn't the best in the winter.

So here I am. I was looking around and saw someone say to avoid the 09 model but didn't say why. Can someone clear this up for me?

I have no interest in the new Legacy's, and I want the 07-09 version because I like the smaller taillights. But I'm finding them very hard to find, in terms of price and mileage.

What are some things I can expect from this car? What kind of differences will I notice compared from my Si? Does the LGT have the acceleration anywhere near my Si? I know you can't really compare them since they are two very different cars but I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm getting into. I see people saying to get compression tests done, what does this do exactly?

Some other cars I was looking into was the Mazdaspeed6, I like this car because it's low key but still looks aggressive and it's pretty unique and rare to see around here. Another car is the Volvo S60R, I like this car for the same reasons as the MS6, while not as aggressive I've seen some that look beast, but still don't know much about this car or what years are good. Another car I see people talking about is the Saab 93(?) Aero, is this something to consider? I mean I never thought of Saab being anything special. I'm finding these cars to be hard to find as well, not sure about the Saab since I haven't looked for it yet.

What are some things that I need to be looking out for with the Legacy from these years? Or if anyone knows anything about the other ones also that would be much appreciated. Not sure if it matters but I'm not trying to spend more than $22k.

Sorry I don't know a whole lot about cars but eager to learn so bear with me please lol

Thanks for taking the time out to read this and help me :)

:spin:

A LGT would leave a Civic SI well behind in the dust acceleration wise. Will be more composed, but not as tossable as a lighter civic si.

Compression test will detect bad valves/gaskets. Be wary of any that have had a turbo replaced.

If you want unique and rare, find a Spec B. Under 500 made each year. Picked up my 07 with 82k miles for $16k so $22 should definitely be doable.

• 2 weeks later...

If you like your civic and the only real complaint is that it doesn't do well in snow, just buy snow tires for it. $400 vs spending thousands. The AWD will be pretty useless without good tires. AWD won't help you stop or turn, snow tires will.

That said, if you really do want an LGT, here are a few things to consider:

The LGT will be much quicker. Honda still doesn't know what torque is. Subaru does and you'll notice the difference right away. You'll also notice how quickly a fuel gauge can drop. The Honda will be much more fuel efficient, and more reliable.

08 is when they refreshed the design on the exterior. If you want the small taillights get an 08-09. I agree the 08-09 do look better but thats subjective. Just make sure its an 07-09 as they went to a better turbo in 07.

If you need to ask what a compression check is, PLEASE do yourself a favor and bring whatever car your looking at to a Subaru dealer or mechanic familiar with these cars for a prepurchase inspection. These are pretty reliable if well maintained but can get out of hand quick if not.

the Saab 9-3 Aero is basically a "fancier" version of the 04-07 model year WRX wagon. They have more features, look nicer IMO and are quite a bit cheaper than the WRX wagon cause noone knows what they are. Definitely worth considering if you want something in the $8-12k range.

The MS6 is pretty cool but if I remember correctly those cars had a some common issue (as will most cars, one exception being the one you already own). The MS6 is also direct injected so as they age they will need intake valve cleaning to remove carbon that builds up...$$$. Their AWD version is also far inferior to Subaru's.

With 22k you could pretty much get any 07-09 LGT you want. But expect to put aside a few grand for maintenance and repairs.

Good Luck with your search.

Wow thanks guys for all the info and thanks Red for the in depth breakdown, I truly appreciate the time you took to help me out. I look forward to owning one of these cars. I figured the gas was going to be worse than my Si, as it is my Si isn't that great either lol.

I do agree I like how the Saabs look as well, going to check out which I can get. Been pretty focused on the LGT and S60R though.

Thanks again !!

Whatever you do, dont go with the S60R... Nightmare waiting to happen. I had a coworker who loved these things never stopped complaining about them, plus he said that they weren't mod friendly at all. AMD it really took a lot to actually get some decent numbers out of those engines, not unlike the legacy. He was always jealous of the way mine drove and handled compared to his...

Archived