LegacyGT.com

Deceleration Noise - Big Problem?

authenticamd

I have the infamous deceleration noise in gear, but it goes away when I hit the go pedal. I had the dealership listen to it, and they suspect either the Input or Output shaft bearing. Anyone else encounter this issue?

I had this noise with OEM clutch / flywheel, and now that I have stiffer transmission mounts / shifter bushings / crossmember bushings, it is somewhat louder.

I have always kept the fluid full, and don't know why this would happen? I did buy the car used with almost 13k miles, so it could have been damaged before.

You ride on the back seat while someone drivers the car, make sure it's not the rear diff.

Being a r180 rear it should be strong enough to handle just about anything.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I guess it all depends on how loud the noise is. If you had an STI I'd say 100% normal, but the LGT/Spec.B has more sound deadening. Unfortunately I've never been in a 6MT LGT so I can't say how quiet they usually are. If my STI had no tranny whine I'd wonder if someone stole my 6MT. ;)

Stiffer mounts and bushings will make transmission noises louder, as I'm sure you're aware. What brand mounts did you install? I have Group N engine+tranny+xmember, which are softer than aftermarket polyurethane, and honestly they didn't add much noise.

Did you install a stiffer rear shifter stay? That one in particular tends to really turn up the volume, even with the Group N version. If tranny noise bothers you try swapping it back to stock.

Yeah, I have group-n everything you mentioned. I have kartboy shifter mounts. I'm going to take it to andrewtech for a listen, but expecting around 2.1k for rebuild with new synchros all around and input shaft bearing. Hopefully that is all they find...

My spec B is crazy noisy on deceleration in 1st and 2nd... I was told much of the noise is caused by 1st and 2nd gear being partially straight cut. I don't know how true that is. Sound obviously goes away immediately with the clutch depressed.

I still havent got to the bottom of that noise and its been present for 82K miles, mind you my car has 102k on it now. I gave up, the dealer swaped in a new clutch pack and it went away for 10K miles then showed up again. When my clutch goes again (around 130K miles) ill deal with it

Mine makes essentially that same sound. Only in second gear, only when slowing down. Clutch in and it goes away, accelerate and it goes away. I have the car for ~25k miles and it's done it since the day I brought it home. I'm used to it. Until it gets worse, I pay no attention to it anymore. I know these transmissions are noisy and a KB shifter with both shifter and rear stay bushings only amplify it I'm sure.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I agree with the above statements. My Outback 5spd has started doing this as well. Mostly while decelerating in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Nothing else seems wrong though, she shifts fine etc. Even changed out both the transmission and rear diff fluids, no change. I've been told that it's a normal sound and to move on...

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did anyone find a resolution to this deceleration noise? I just started getting it as well through all gears. Car feels just like normal and transmission is still smooth as before.

It drives good, just really annoying to deal with as a DD.

Any help would be great.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did anyone find a resolution to this deceleration noise? I just started getting it as well through all gears. Car feels just like normal and transmission is still smooth as before.

Any help would be great.

Nope, just living with it at the moment. It sounds like it's common Subaru 'characteristic' of the transmissions in these cars. I've been told the same thing happens 5spd WRXs.

Any help would be great.

What's so annoying about it? Every other part of these cars burbles, whines, whistles, rattles, pops, and wooshes... you bought a Subaru, not a Lexus :confused:

Leave it alone, it's fine.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

What's so annoying about it? Every other part of these cars burbles, whines, whistles, rattles, pops, and wooshes... you bought a Subaru, not a Lexus :confused:

Leave it alone, it's fine.

Never said it was a Lexus... definitely not comparing it to one so I don't know where you got that from. When your car sounds like a wind-up toy and it's a noise that didn't happen before you'd be a bit concerned too. (This being my first Subaru).

If you don't have any valuable input you can simply move along.

Bought my car and the guy i bought it from has a stage 2 clutch kit in it with 1k miles and it has what im assuming is the 'clutch chatter' noise. It rattles in deceleration in almost all gears. Just started hearing the same noise ever so slightly when accelerating after I installed the group-N tranny mount. After a couple weeks scouring the web, I think I may have to replace my center diff bearings... Anyone else able to corroborate this problem?

Never said it was a Lexus... definitely not comparing it to one so I don't know where you got that from. When your car sounds like a wind-up toy and it's a noise that didn't happen before you'd be a bit concerned too. (This being my first Subaru).

If you don't have any valuable input you can simply move along.

Since this is your first Subaru, I'll say it again: these cars make all sorts of noise. If it gets worse, address the problem. If it stays the same, it's likely just fine.

And, move along from what? You must be new to the internet. This is not your thread. Start your own, if you want to ask people to leave :lol::rolleyes:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I have the infamous deceleration noise in gear, but it goes away when I hit the go pedal. I had the dealership listen to it, and they suspect either the Input or Output shaft bearing. Anyone else encounter this issue?

I had this noise with OEM clutch / flywheel, and now that I have stiffer transmission mounts / shifter bushings / crossmember bushings, it is somewhat louder.

I have always kept the fluid full, and don't know why this would happen? I did buy the car used with almost 13k miles, so it could have been damaged before.

My spec B is crazy noisy on deceleration in 1st and 2nd... I was told much of the noise is caused by 1st and 2nd gear being partially straight cut. I don't know how true that is. Sound obviously goes away immediately with the clutch depressed.

My Spec B doesn't make any noise when I lift off the gas and decel in gear.

What fluid are you guy's using ?

What bushings do have ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My Spec B doesn't make any noise when I lift off the gas and decel in gear.

What fluid are you guy's using ?

What bushings do have ?

I'm using all Motul fluids along with the GroupN mount and Whiteline KDT 927 & 906 bushings.

Archived