LegacyGT.com

Green Approach Light

Hello all; noticed for like the 4th time now that for some reason the approach light seems to have changed color from a white color to a green color.

The Forester forums blamed the tint for the auto dim feature but that doesn't make sense as I'd think it would happen all the time.

Anyone else having this issue?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/30/bd83a665333c35c859793dd0dff3b0c1.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/30/263139c7b7b01104fea953fa5412cf29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @CT2015Legacy

Wow that's crazy. I haven't seen that at all. Is it as green in person as it appears in the photo?

What mods have you done?

Yup that green in person; haven't done any mods what so ever yet besides a few interior LED swap ( review coming soon for that :) )

if the dimmer function is activated it may cause the hue to change the white to green, makes sense

What do you mean by dimmer function? Is this separate from interior illumination dimmer? If so I guess I'm really gonna have to completely read these manuals haha.

It just weird because it doesn't do this all the time it is very intermittent that I've noticed.

I noticed the same thing... mine were green last night and today they were back to white.

I am not sure what caused it.

I have done no mods and yes in person they appear just as green as CT2015Legacy's pics depict.

It happens when the mirrors are auto dimmed and the surface gets darker. Try putting the car in reverse. This instantly disables the auto dimming to the rear and side mirrors and instantly brightens them up.

Shot in the dark here (pun intended)...does it have anything to do with the status of the door locks? For example; green if doors are unlocked when you approach, white of locked? Again, just a guess.

I tested this out today. It's not related to door lock status.

I'm wondering why the mirrors are dimmed when the approach lights are on though? Isn't that a feature that only activates when a car is behind you with bright lights? I would think that the mirrors would only be dimmed if a set criteria is met, which wouldn't seem to be possible when the approach lights are activated?

I'm wondering why the mirrors are dimmed when the approach lights are on though? Isn't that a feature that only activates when a car is behind you with bright lights? I would think that the mirrors would only be dimmed if a set criteria is met, which wouldn't seem to be possible when the approach lights are activated?

When it gets dark out all the mirrors dim automatically. Has nothing to do with cars being behind you from what I've noticed.

I don't understand how this can happen. My mirrors dim when I park in my parking garage. They stay dimmed when I approach the car, but the approach light on the mirror is not tinted. I have never seen the glass over the light tint/darken any color. Seems like a defect.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand how this can happen. My mirrors dim when I park in my parking garage. They stay dimmed when I approach the car, but the approach light on the mirror is not tinted. I have never seen the glass over the light tint/darken any color. Seems like a defect.

There is a sensor located at the back of the rear view mirror. In the right conditions when it doesn't detect light, the mirrors will dim. The outside mirrors are controlled by the rear view mirror. Cover the sensor with your hand, they will lighten up. With my other Legacy, putting the car in reverse would instantly brighten up the rear view mirror.

If you have the approach lighting, you should also have the auto-dimming outside mirrors.

• 2 months later...
I had this occur to me tonight and after viewing this discussion I concluded that when you have the door open your map lights turn on. If the map lights are automatically or manually turned on for extended period the light emitting is enough to trigger the photo-luminescent sensor to dim the mirrors. In the image of the first post you can see that the mirrors are dimmed by the dark center surrounded by bright trim.

There is a sensor on the middle of your rear-view mirror that adujusts the rear-view (and if included auto dimming side mirrors).

If you want to test its easy turn on your phones "flashlight mode" and hold it up to the light sensor on your mirror. It will start to dim pretty much instantly.

This is interesting. I don't own the car (yet) but I didn't expect the controller on the rear view mirror to be active when the car is not on.

It seems the map lights/dome lights are activated the dimming while the car is off?

Archived