LegacyGT.com

• I Donated

Any socket set will work. You need 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm sockets, plus a couple larger ones that can be purchased separately (e.g. the 32mm axle nut socket). I would also get the same sized combination wrenches, plus ratcheting combination wrenches. Get a good torque wrench, too, and either a breaker bar or electric impact if your car has spent time in rust-belt states. And then there are things like pliers, screwdrivers, etc., plus drain pans, funnels, etc. And get yourself some antiseize for exhaust work.

Really, that will allow you to do about 95% of the work on your car. Getting to 100% is going to require a lot more tools. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Also I would suggest anything with life time warranty. But also keep in mind not all tools are made equally. For example snap on ratchets and wrenches are going to feel the best in your hand where craftsmen stuff kinda hurts! Sk is between the two. (Don't go snapon unless you have money or you want to become a mechanic). If you are looking for a good socket set I would suggest SK they make an awesome 1/4 & 3/8 kit which comes with everything you need! Also on a different note ive been told by people that try to warranty there craftsman stuff that sometimes sears gives they a VERY hard time to.

Sears has a craftsman mechanics set... It comes in a four drawer plastic case... Usually about 249.00... however it goes on sale for 199 from time to time. Just get that one. It has virtually every basic wrench, socket, and screw driver bit you will need. Lifetime warranty which is nice if you have a sears near you. (this is pretty much it, but it looks like they no longer come with the case http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-309-pc-mechanic-s-tool-set/p-00941309000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1)

This is a kit that you will have for a lifetime of any car, house, project, etc... Im a fan for buying once and being done.

if you're on a budget, fulton's recommendations are certainly spot on as well.

The sears kit i mentioned above wont come with a torque wrench, breaker bar, pliers, etc... But will give you a solid basic setup for years to come.

FWIT, every time i walk into a sears with a lifetime warranty hand tool, it's a no questions asked exchange...

Yeah I generally don't deal with craftsman since I do mechanics for a living my tool box is mainly snap on except my cordless drill which is craftsman c3 line and my gear wrenches. But here in NYC I've heard it a couple times people had problems but maybe they changed from then this was like 2 yrs ago

I saved a substantial amount of money on a mechanic's tool kit vs Craftsman by purchasing a Crescent mechanic's set from Amazon. They are very high-quality tools and haven't had a single problem (in fact they appear to be the same OEM as the Gearwrench tools I use) They also have a lifetime warranty though you don't get the convenience of on-the-spot replacement like with Craftsman.

Yeah I generally don't deal with craftsman since I do mechanics for a living my tool box is mainly snap on except my cordless drill which is craftsman c3 line and my gear wrenches. But here in NYC I've heard it a couple times people had problems but maybe they changed from then this was like 2 yrs ago

I hear ya. If turning wrenches was my trade, I would certainly go to higher quality than craftsman. Even if the warranty is great, is rather not have to go to sears once a week lol

I stopped buying craftsman power tools. Just not the same as they once were IMO. Hand tools, still good for non commercial use.

We use a lot of craftsman tools at work, as well as Snap-on. We build items for the NASA and the US Navy Sub's.

Have very few problems with either. To give to a idea, we torque some items to over 500ftlbs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I worked at a service station in college, the mechanic there had a nice collection of tools, but didn't have any craftsman. When I asked him about it (as there was a sears directly across the street). He said that he's destroyed several craftsman hand tools in his day, and would rather spend twice the cash upfront, than to have to walk across the street to get a tool replaced under warranty.

Guess everyone's got their opinions. Craftsman hand tools have always worked fine for my needs!!

In my 30+ years working here I have only had to take a few tools back to Sears.

Their ratchets have very much gone down hill over the last decade or so. I usually take back one every year or two in one size or another...

We use a lot of craftsman tools at work, as well as Snap-on. We build items for the NASA and the US Navy Sub's.

Have very few problems with either. To give to a idea, we torque some items to over 500ftlbs.

Dude your job sounds awesome lol I love stuff like that!

DO NOT GET CRAFTSMAN. They aren't actually the sizes labeled on their tools. Just get this and call it a year:

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-301-piece-mechanics-tool-kit-69312.html

I second this. I work at sears and use only a craftsman rachet. Harbor freight is the move, plus that shit is lifetime warranty

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What good is a lifetime warranty when you have to go back there all the time? I wouldn't want to depend on a harbor freight tool on a consistent basis. The only time I by Harbor freight is For a unique or odd tool, that I would not use very often.

Archived