LegacyGT.com

headlights are in the oven....

as stated my drivers headlight is in the oven and Im on day three without a cigarette. needless to say, Im a little tense... :spin: pics to follow.

mods feel free to move or delete. Im just venting...

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

this is my first atttempt at this so Im goin 170* for 10 mins. Hopefully that is enough. My folks are in town and my old man is gonna give me a hand pullin' 'em apart. Keep fingers crossed.
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

ok first attempt, 170* for 10 minutes is not hot enough to get the proverbial "goo" hot enough to come apart, it starts to but then cools too fast to pry it apart so shes goin back in for another 10.

The heating/resealing part is easy. The chrome coming off with the masking tape (if you're blacking them out) was the hard part for me.

And the inside of the headlight is already "murdered" out so no need to black it out.

Drivers side is apart, passenger swide just went it. 175* for 15 seems to be the way to go!

OK both headlights apart, amber removed and I also made sure to clean the shite outta the inside of the actual lense. (not the projector lense) Yes I am taking pitures but unfortunately my cam took a dump so they Im using my iphone. Ill try to get everything in order and post pics when Im done.

Download the tapatalk app and upload the pics right from your iPhone! No need to keep us waiting!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Ok since this isn't a "write-up" and I have a cell phone for pics, I'm not gonna go into specifics. Heres a few pics though as the project progressed and the finished look.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299875826.453282.thumb.jpg.96f4d0d8d20aeac1532463ac349bb234.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299875853.661540.thumb.jpg.4723d1ba87ffd74302b99522d45b3d14.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299875887.461234.thumb.jpg.555ed0004d40041b08e9ce00bf35637c.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299875908.993993.thumb.jpg.244e223bed9e276b13bf080d378cfda3.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299875942.110852.thumb.jpg.310b12354df98b14687104f2baeca8f1.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299875967.151636.thumb.jpg.40b76cdcbd3ace63f3b19df7fb6f4ce3.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299875989.294994.thumb.jpg.065eb80fc50d523628113078c6d5a831.jpg

Thanks for looking and a word to the wise, dont forget to put the 4 torx screw back into the back of the headlight housing before re-installing back into the car. Unless of course youre the type of person who likes to do sh!t twice... *facepalm!*

Oh and before you ask, yes the grille is out, Im toying with the idea of sanding off the chrome and painting it flat black or cutting everything but the emblem out, affixing some (at the risk of sounding like a rice-boy) "grill-craft" mesh to it and putting my 2.5 GT badge up front since I plan on de-badging the rear. Thoughts?

Looks awesome. 05 headlights look best when cleared and not screwed up with extra painting.

Well done.

Thanks! Why are my headlights already blacked out though? Is this on all the GT's and I just didnt notice? The only part of the inner housing that is chrome is around the turn signal... :confused:

all 2005 Legacys came with the black inner part and chromw turn signal area.

Later on the headlight went all-chrome.

I personally think the OEM looking 2005 light was best but others black out the turn signal too which I personally don't like.

Clearing a 2005 headlight turns it in to what the JDM stock model looks like... which I think is best.

Thanks! Why are my headlights already blacked out though? Is this on all the GT's and I just didnt notice? The only part of the inner housing that is chrome is around the turn signal... :confused:

05 only

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

Actually mine had an orange bulb in it to start with, which begs the question, why the amber reflector. Its plenty bright enough at night although maybe its simply to dissipate the light more evenly?... Who knows but it sure looks sweet without the amber reflector in there!

Soooo... has anyone had any troubles with state inspections after this process? In WV we have annual inspections, depending on the shop they can be sticklers, and depending on how bad your local county needs funds, the Sheriff's can be sticklers too.

I was pulled over in NC just for my tint at 15% :rolleyes:

Archived