LegacyGT.com

GenIV Engine Swap Compatibility

So i've read on another forum that someone is considering an engine swap in his Gen4 legacy.

Well it's not actually his car, but he has the chance to buy an engine damaged but shell wise still good legacy 2.5i for less than $10,000AUD. So he was considering dropping an EZ30R into this shell instead of actually buying a 3.0R, which still go for approximately $30,000AUD. (yes cars are extremely expensive here in Australia)

Anyways this conversion actually has me interested as a potential project too and was wondering how hard it would be, if I were able to source a complete engine, manual ECU and harness?

Would I be correct in assuming that it would be plug and play considering the engine is being put into a car thats almost the same as the original car? I mean, all the sensors and what not would be the same if not similar correct?

I've also heard talk of immobilizer issues, does anyone know how to by pass this issue? I'm guessing a dealer could do it as I'm sure they've seen engine/ecu transplants before in damaged cars and would have some way to reprogram a key for the car or something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Darren.

Tis not a plug and play.

The ECU is different

The wiring is different.

The exhaust is different.

The EZ30R donor may have had VDC.which the 2.5I doesn't.

Waiting for someone else to add to the list.

O.

As stupid as it sounds, I'd like to keep the car but only change the motor.

I know for a fact there will be no clearance issues and any EJ series transmission will bolt right up to it.

So the idea of just replacing the ECU's and harnesses isn't going to work? lol.

Archived