LegacyGT.com

Looking for wagon amp install photos/threads

OnTheEllipse

I'm about to tackle an amp install in an '08 wagon and I'm looking to see what people have done with amp placement. I'd like to use the stock, under floor, foam tray as a template and recreate it in wood.

I've googled/searched all appropriate spots and can't find a build where someone has done this. Any photos/links?

Here are some pics of an install that was done on a AUDM Liberty down here in Australia. The install was completed by one of Australia's top installers, FHRX Studios.

http://img822.imageshack.us/g/bafflecomponents1.jpg/

thanks for the link! Some of those photos will come in handy...especially the engine bay/doors photos (dammit, I want leather).

Not sure why you'd choose to mount the amps like that, though? Some people spend countless hours building false floors and the Legacy wagons have one stock from the factory.

How about under either of the front seats? Saves room and its out of the way.

I do like the idea of putting the amps under the seats, but there's absolutely no room under my driver's seat for an amp. I'd love to see how the factory under seat subwoofer works, because I can't imagine how anything can fit under that seat.

nice avatar...i have the new Europe '72 Vol 2 discs queued up right now

I think the pass side is most popular. But I have read about people getting amps under both seats.

The only problem is I have a big Polk class A/B 4 channel amp and a not entirely small MB Quart class d amp for my sub. I could do a single 5 channel class d amp, possibly, but the W6v2 in the JL stealth box will probably appreciate the extra power from the dedicated amp.

I dont know how anyone could not like the dead :)

i actually despised the band growing up, but i warmed up and then became borderline obsessed. i can understand why people don't like them, but i just feel bad for those people.

Thats the direction I am going. One 5 channel under my pass front seat. I am looking at the Hertz HDP5.

My brother got me into them when I was a sophomore in HS so I have been into therm for years. I have convinced a few people

I just checked when I got home. My 600 watt MB Quart Reference mono amp will fit under the passenger seat, but barely. I liked the idea of having that much power going to the JL stealthbox, but a more compact 5 channel amp under the passenger side is appealing from an installation perspective.

Great...thought I was done with gear. Thanks for nothing :)

If anything put your 4-channel under the seat & sub amp in rear so you're not running wires back & forth. But my vote is mounting both in rear tray, just put them all in the same place.

Here's the first run I did with some big amps back in 2005, these have been replaced with a couple smaller PDX's. I'll see if I can snap a pic of that tomorrow.

IMG_0281.JPG

Here's the first run I did with some big amps back in 2005, these have been replaced with a couple smaller PDX's. I'll see if I can snap a pic of that tomorrow.

It looks like you still have your spare in there? Did you ever have any problems with ventilation?

So here's the current layout. Obviously haven't cleaned the car in a while. This is a 1/2" MDF board fitted to the spare well & using the shell of an old foam tray as trim. It sits on top of the spare & is removable.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/IMG_5243.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/IMG_5246.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/IMG_5247.jpg

The first install on this car I tried a fiberglass tray over MDF. Results sucked so I ended up wrapping in some material. The tray fit nicely & was very solid but I wouldn't do it that way again.

Besides, the days of big class A amps is gone, the class D's are too good now. These things ran very hot & needed vents so there were fans pulling air from the left corner & pushing out the right corner.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/tray2-1.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/IMG_0281.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/tray-flow.jpg

that new setup looks like the most painless way to do this.

question: what was the thought behind taking the bottom of the foam tray out and replacing it with MDF/ply, instead of...say, doing pretty much the same thing but simply placing the wood on top of the foam and securing it with thick velcro (or something like that)?

definitely leaning in this direction now. the only problem is it leaves plenty of room for an MS-8, which I'd rather not buy

edit: and do you use the rubber mat in the back? i'm wondering if it makes any difference with the PDX's/heat

The thought was I already had that foam tray shell with the bottom cut out, so I just added the MDF base.

If I did this again with PDX's I'd simply leave the tray as is & secure amps with T-nuts in the foam. What you're seeing in these pics was definitely a lazy install with existing materials.

Plenty of room left for an MS-8...this is a problem...how? ;)

Just a tip, if you use components up front you'll need the MS-8 or it'll sound like crap using the stock locations. You can get around this by using coax's or putting tweets in the kick panel.

I threw out the rubber mat, hated that thing. PDX's get warm in there for sure but never went thermal.

The thought was I already had that foam tray shell with the bottom cut out, so I just added the MDF base.

If I did this again with PDX's I'd simply leave the tray as is & secure amps with T-nuts in the foam. What you're seeing in these pics was definitely a lazy install with existing materials.

gotcha. i was going to try to use the foam tray as a template and recreate the whole thing out of wood, but I'm thinking it would be a bunch of work for no good reason.

Plenty of room left for an MS-8...this is a problem...how? ;)

every time i buy a new car, i tell myself i'm not touching the stereo. always a snowball effect

Just a tip, if you use components up front you'll need the MS-8 or it'll sound like crap using the stock locations. You can get around this by using coax's or putting tweets in the kick panel.

definitely not the first time i've heard that. how's the space behind the kick panel? ample?

I threw out the rubber mat, hated that thing. PDX's get warm in there for sure but never went thermal.

cool

on the doors...did you seal them up?

thanks for the input here. i appreciate it

every time i buy a new car, i tell myself i'm not touching the stereo. always a snowball effect

I do the same, for 20+ years now.

definitely not the first time i've heard that. how's the space behind the kick panel? ample?

Thin but maneuverable. Lots of crap back there. it can be done but the angles suck. I've always wanted to FG over surface mount tweeters to get the aiming just right but haven't bothered. I flush-mounted down by the woofers for simplicity.

on the doors...did you seal them up?

Couple layers of some generic, can't remember. Sealing the stock tweeter opening with some black foam helped with a midbass hole I had. Or just leave the stock tweeter mounted.

Archived