LegacyGT.com

Just bought an 06 Legacy Wagon

My wife and I just bouight an 06 Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition,

Thought I would share some pics of our new baby. So far we love it. I have owned a few other Subaru's mostly older models including our other car a 96 Impreza Outback. This car is incredibly quiet on the highway compared to the others.

The car has 107K on it and we are the second owners. Previous owner changed the timing belt at 90K. I verified this by calling them, and asking about the car. They had no problems with the car and said they wish they still had it. They traded it in for a car with higher towing capacity.

The only thing I would like to upgrade is the stereo to allow and AUX input, and mabye to make it a little louder.

The car has the manual climate control.. so no integration there. Hope I can find out the best solution to this.. but for now we are just really enjoying the new car.

This pic was taken by my cell phone.. not bad but I will post some better pics later.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/kens97sto171/Subaru%20Legacy%20Wagon/IMG_20101004_165920.jpg

Kens - one thing to check out while you still have the warranty is your heater core. There was a run of heater cores in our '06s that were faulty and are replaced for free under warranty. I'll try to find the VIN range so you can compare.

You want a jazzy mod for the stereo not a new radio. Do a search. Cheap simple IPOD option.

Does it sound better than an FM Modulator (read: not FM transmittor)

I have an FM Modulator but it truncates a lot of the signal. So you lose a lot of the music IMO

It should be much better than an fm modulator. I looked it up for you so you can check it out instead of asking me. I DONT HAVE ONE!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/plug-n-play-aux-mod-2005-6cd-radios-18504.html?t=18504

"The Why:

As several of you already know, there is no auxiliary audio input on the factory radios for the 2005/06 Legacys & Outbacks. This is a fairly common situation. What's not common, is for those of us with the 6CD changer & automatic climate controls, they are an integrated unit, with no way to separate one from the other. That means we can't even replace the stereo with an aftermarket deck to get what we want either: A clean auxiliary input to listen to our mp3s/ipod, xm or navigation.

The What:

For those of you not already familiar with centerpunch's aux in hack, essentially he created a clean aux in line by soldering wires onto the lines carrying the audio for the CD player in the factory headunit & played a silent CD so that he could listen to that source without hearing two things at once.

I've developed a plug 'n' play version of his idea...which consists of a small circuit board that utilizes the ribbon cable between the CD changer and the amp inside the stereo, piggybacking onto the CD audio lines by plugging that ribbon into this board and the ribbon that comes with the board back into the amp.

The board in question has an 1/8" stereo jack (a standard headphone jack) that you can plug into it whatever you want (I'm using an XM, but an mp3 player, carputer or ipod work equally well) - the elusive "Aux-in". Users have sucessfully installed many of these boards now and the thread that follows is full of their reviews."

Thanks for all the comments.. We love the car. My wife had the windows tinted to the legal limit.. I have yet to even see the results. I have been working my butt off this week.. I hope its not too dark.

I saw the Jazzy radio mod after I posted this.. I will check into that. I also saw another option called "Clean Sweep" by JL Audio.. but it was rather pricey

And let me know about the heater cores.. that could be a PITA.. with 107K though would that still be covered umder warranty??

Thanks again.

NIce ride, essentially just like mine but without the Turbo. Doesn't the non LGT like yours have the single climate controls ? which could therefore use the crutchfield faceplate to replace the radio (which is not connected to the HVAC if that were to be the case). That would be the cheapest and best case scenario. I went the whole route of FM modulator on stock , Hack in soldering mod for aux in, and finally aftermarket radio (AVO single din in Cubby with an Alpine) . Obviously each change improved greatly .

^^ One of the reasons we went with the "unlimited" version...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I swapped out my whole head unit with a double din DVD/CD player. It took me about 45 minutes (half of which was figuring out how to dismantle the console). I can get that whole thing apart in less than 2 minutes now.

Screw the mod. Just replace the whole radio. An aftermarket is much better anyway.

And let me know about the heater cores.. that could be a PITA.. with 107K though would that still be covered umder warranty??

Thanks again.

I'm assuming you bought it at a dealership right?

I think 3,000 mile/3 month warranty would be standard with a used car purchase.

I'm trying to find those VINs for you

Thanks for all the comments.. We love the car. My wife had the windows tinted to the legal limit.. I have yet to even see the results. I have been working my butt off this week.. I hope its not too dark.

Just fyi

Here's limo tint on the rears

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/madjik_man/Subaru/P1040317.jpg

^Sexy in the snow! Living in Los Angeles I love to see a LGT in the snow! Limo looks SOOO good on the wagons. Are you going to clear the corners? I think silver with clear corners looks REALLY sharp.

Note: The family truckster is not a GT :(

I would love to clear the corners and other exterior aesthetics (especially the seemingly "bulky" tail lights) but my time, know-how and money is limited.

Thanks for all the replies.. glad to hear we can replace the head unit.

I would like to see what the center stack looks like after that has been done.. my wife is worried it will mess up the nice looks of the interior.

I would appreciate anyong who has done this to post some pics of it after the swap.

Also is there a head unit you guys would recomend? Under $300-400

I would like to have USB jack to plug in a flash drive, either on the front or preferably in the back with a cable I can route to any location. And Aux input.. like a 3.5 mini plug. And bluetooth capabability if possible. I got to use the Sync radio in a Ford we rented earlier this year.. and it was pretty cool having Pandora and incoming calls streaming to the car radio over bluetooth from my Moto Droid.

Thanks so much.

Ken

Lots of pics & suggestions over in the interior/audio forum. Just start browsing there.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Note: The family truckster is not a GT :(

I would love to clear the corners and other exterior aesthetics (especially the seemingly "bulky" tail lights) but my time, know-how and money is limited.

look up the threads on here

taking them apart is alot easier than you think

Fortunately for you, the "special edition" does have manual AC controls. Cool, and you still get the good sunroof! I have to say that I would probably prefer NOT to have the dual zone controls... it's way too finnicky.

That's a clean looking wagon especially given the mileage. Nice!

i have a 05 2.5i same color diffrent rims just love it! and its amazing how good on gas it is !

clutch is weak tho only problem with the car

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived