LegacyGT.com

Who has the most miles on their LGT, and how are they holding up? - Vol-2

202k Its parked. All tags and insurance new tires. Has all fluids up to date. It is running as good as it ever has. She won't drive it because the temp gauge pegged on the H last time she had it out. The radiator was 4-5 fingers low, nothing in the overflow, and a little in the upper reservoir. I'm thinking it burped those 4 fingers when she ran it with the heat. I've driven it 2x for about 50 miles revved to 5k a couple times under warmed up conditions. Fine.

It sits outside and the rotors get a little oxidation, so I'll run it again today.

A newer one is on the horizon. No more turbo Subarus, that is for certain.

Stock turbo, motor and fueling. Stage 2 for 70K and currently approaching 130K...quickly racking up more miles with 80/day commuting. Beginning to suspect a HG replacement is in my future and a C/O rebuild...but otherwise no oil burned between OCI.

If they bring back the Legacy Wagon, I'll buy another but not sold on the Outback even though the 3.6R is pretty nice.

Stock turbo, motor and fueling. Stage 2 for 70K and currently approaching 130K...quickly racking up more miles with 80/day commuting. Beginning to suspect a HG replacement is in my future and a C/O rebuild...but otherwise no oil burned between OCI.

If they bring back the Legacy Wagon, I'll buy another but not sold on the Outback even though the 3.6R is pretty nice.

In the same boat as you. Thinking about selling mine in the spring and picking up a 2010 outback 3.6r and covering it to a legacy

05 Lgt wagon 5EAT. SPT CAI & catback, Cobb down pipe, BNR 16G turbo, balance is stock.

My boss's viper club rented Rte 41 Drag Strip (IN.) I was invited to attend. 1st time I (legally) drag raced my wagon. This was Not a competition. In my 1st run I was randomly paired against Porsche 918 , yup probably the worlds fastest car.

Times: 10.4334 sec / 142.02 MPH; 16.2830/92.86 MPH

I did 5 runs all about the same (91-94 mph), my best reaction time as .4662 sec. I'm very happy with my daily driver.

1238798341_Lgt918.jpg.cc706adf7a6748b9e47dc64d38c3cbe6.jpg

16.2@92mph? Were there hurricane-force headwinds or what?

The 5EAT definitely slows you down on the ET (because no launch), but you should be trapping at least 10mph faster. For the sake of comparison, I trapped 93mph in a bone stock '02 WRX with 160whp (14.1 ET). You should be making at least 250whp with that 16g, and trapping well over 100mph. Something is up, for sure.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Thanks for the feedback,

confirms my suspicions. Oil consumption is about +.5 qt per 1,000 miles.

Cars.101.com site lists tests a new stock 5EAT GT sedan as

Edmunds 93 MPH in 1/4 mile.

modern racer 98 MPH

Car & Driver 96 MPH

I have Limited wagon with the large & heavy sun roof. Seems my add-ons are barely off setting the old age & and weight.

I would like to get an AMSperformance.com stage2 rebuild (+5EAT valve body) before next summer. Spring bonus will define my budget.

887606223_Lgtwgnviper.jpg.7ee8d59c04b05594f4d2d016b3100d5b.jpg

• 1 month later...

126k miles.

Had some front end work done. Replaced sway bar bushings and links (both bent). $800.

Less than two weeks later I hear a very loud dog barking from under my hood, and when it does, I have no power. Seems to be related to when the turbo builds boost; it gets to a low-medium point and then gives up.

Conflicting diagnoses from the dealership and a tune-oriented mechanic. $4000 is the cost to fix regardless of who I go with.

My first car, an 86 Toyota Celica lasted until 170k miles, and even then it ran great, but had worn piston rings.

My second car, a 1995 Honda Prelude bought in 1999, I recently donated to the Salvation Army because I was tired of spending $300 a year on gas/maintenance on a car that I don't use. It had 220k miles on it. (the gas costs were just for 'maintenance drives', to make sure the car still runs and the battery gets charged)

Here comes my Subaru; the first new car I've ever bought, yet the least reliable and most expensive to maintain. Since the warranty has ended, I've spent 3x more than my previous two cars combined in maintenance costs.

Also they told me my power steering rack was leaking. $1200 (no thanks)

Also my stereo/climate control glitches out every now and then, leaving me unable to control either for a random amount of time. Then it acts fine for months. Then it glitches out again for several days/weeks. It's been doing this for five years or so. When it's glitching, I get a non-rhythmic blinking of my stereo/climate control status lights. Sometimes turning the headlights on and off (which dims/brightens it) repeatedly will fix it.

Here comes my Subaru; the first new car I've ever bought, yet the least reliable and most expensive to maintain. Since the warranty has ended, I've spent 3x more than my previous two cars combined in maintenance costs.

Also they told me my power steering rack was leaking. $1200 (no thanks)

Bold inappropriate reply deleted.

Sorry I misread and sorryfor your bad experience, Crawdaddy. :(

Edited by Slickvic

You got hosed on that front end work if you paid $800 for bushings and endlinks. You could have paid for a nice aftermarket f&r sway/links/bushings setup, and it should only take a cpl hours to install.

Regardless, sucks your luck. I've bought my last 3 turbo Subaru's used and one went past 170k miles last I heard on OE everything. My current has 152k miles on OE everything altho I have a decent trans repair looming. And my STi was mint at 72k miles, compression was literally perfect, as was the car pretty much.

Sucks to hear about that shop taking advantage. $800 for endlinks and bushings?! :eek:

Those guys are crooks, and saw you coming. I wouldn't be surprised if they were responsible for other shady stuff (like, whoops, pinhole in your WG hose, see you in a few weeks with a blown turbo!)... these cars are reliable if you take proper care of them, but can be ticking time-bombs if they are neglected or abused.

175,000 the other day:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2a7v48h.jpg

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Sucks to hear about that shop taking advantage. $800 for endlinks and bushings?! :eek:

Those guys are crooks, and saw you coming. I wouldn't be surprised if they were responsible for other shady stuff (like, whoops, pinhole in your WG hose, see you in a few weeks with a blown turbo!)... these cars are reliable if you take proper care of them, but can be ticking time-bombs if they are neglected or abused.

175,000 the other day:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2a7v48h.jpg

+ 100

Rolled over 280k a few days ago. One of the most reliable cars I've owned:wub:

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Less than 100 miles until 200,000. To my knowledge, still stock engine/turbo/tune/banjos.

Best pic. I advise not to take dash pics when it's dark and rainy and rush hour traffic. I tried to pull off, but it was 200,001 by the time I stopped lol.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/seanyb505/20151210_175857_zpsgdrhcbiz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. just wow. She had an intermittent over heat on the 2006 LGT Turbo, and I couldn't figure where the coolant was going. Somedays, the coolant would be 1 QT low, others, it would use none. Never saw it leaking, or smelled coolant at all. I figured head gasket.. was finally blown, and she was going to drive it to the junkyard. :) I had a few minutes and with a flashlight and a mirror, I found a clamp under the intake that had slipped backwards and wasn't tight. There were some signs of coolant but maybe evaporated? Tightened the hose clamp, and shazam! been problem free for about 500 miles. IN last 20,000 miles, this LGT has been on the rack (my rack) at least 20 times for a wide variety of issues. Stuff wears out at this mileage, and then you have to depend on aftermarket to keep it between the lines. It looks and drives great! hoping to go through a couple regular service intervals with no repairs.

You got hosed on that front end work if you paid $800 for bushings and endlinks. You could have paid for a nice aftermarket f&r sway/links/bushings setup, and it should only take a cpl hours to install.

Regardless, sucks your luck. I've bought my last 3 turbo Subaru's used and one went past 170k miles last I heard on OE everything. My current has 152k miles on OE everything altho I have a decent trans repair looming. And my STi was mint at 72k miles, compression was literally perfect, as was the car pretty much.

Going back and looking at the bill, it was $600 for that specific work. I forgot I had the car aligned and wheels balanced as well.

I had the work done at the dealership, in the end. Came out to $3700 to replace oil solenoids and the turbo. $400 of that was to take the oil pan off and look inside and see if there was anything amiss (they found metal shavings in the oil).

Everything looked fine, there's no engine knock. They advised me of the risk involved because they aren't sure where the shavings came from, though evidence points to it being the turbo; they also don't know if they're all cleared out or what issues they might cause.

Funny thing - when I first got the car I complained with others about a 'stutter' when accelerating. For 126k miles I dealt with it. That stutter no longer exists.

Bought my Legacy last January at 132,000. Car is currently @ 146,000.

She's my daily driver during the warm months, with my commute about 35 miles one way.

Went on my first vacation from Chicago to Denver and Estes Park. Roughly 1100 miles one way.

Then went on a long weekend to Madison roughly 300 miles one way.

Just bought my 05 LGT with 214k on the clock a couple weeks ago. Turns out the "valve cover leak" it appeared to be was actually cam seals... $1400 later I learned that the timing belt was already rubbing so at least I didn't risk the biscuit and blow the motor...

Overall I'm happy with the car considering I don't have that much in it and it's in fair shape. Wish I had spent $12k buying one in better shape, but I didn't have $12k to buy a car... :hide: