LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

logging didnt help i dont understand when i try to select parameters in RR its completely different to what people write about logging those knocks. knock sum, IAM an so on my RR does not have it.

how am i supposed to log and figure out why IAM is at 0.64 if i cant log this knocks or whatever. what should i log then?

Many logging parameters are unavailable UNTIL you connect to your ECU using RR. Once connected, then enable parameters. What to log... hmmm, perhaps start first by reading the entire thread on this same forum "Knock, do you have any?"

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to datalog to figure out whats wrong with my car, I got the FT232BL cable and all the drivers, I set the baud rate for COM3, my computer recognizes the cable but when I plug it in to the port and open RomRaider it doesn't say its connected. The blue light comes on on the cable.

also I downloaded the definitions and it still says definitions not found

Edited by adj789

Does RR even see the port?

If it sees the port but says definitions not found, there's something wrong with your definitions. What version of RR are you using, and which definitions are you using?

If the port is in your list of ports in rr then it sees the port fine.

The version of definitions, not the filename. There are different versions. Post the link to where you got the definitions. The version of rr you're using has to be compatible with the definitions you use. The latest rr bets is not compatible with older defs and newest defs are not compatible with older rr.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine will not recognize my ecu I'm getting wicked frustrated with it. Why can't the definitions be in the RR file when you download it and if there's an update they just put a file that will download and replace the previous one . Is there any other logger out there that will work with our cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

duds... adj789 .... Bpalumbo159 ..... if you cant make the cable to work make sure you did this... this is what i did to make it work- with my 4th generation legacy

i used that vag com cable with BL chip inside... laptop with winXP 32bit updated all the JAVA software plus those advanced java SE-JRE things...

cdm 2.08... WHQL certified whatever latest cable driver...

*when i connected the cable to the car and laptop and blue light flashed, windows tried to install the drivers for the device then i manually selected this whql certified folder and it installed everything from that.

if you have this WHQL driver installed correctly in device manager under COM ports it should show this cable as comport3 or 4 or whatever and it should not have question mark or anything on it. :cool:

used latest RR with latest definitions then connected both sides of the cable in the car then start the car and then start RR log... simple as that.

make sure all the definitions are in proper places and locations are selected in ecuflash and RormRaider.

------- i had trouble with ecuflash (also used latest ecuflash, latest drivers and definitions for it) i could not read the rom. turns out this car has 2 pairs of green test connectors - one is under the glove box one next to the pedals. one under the glove box needs to be connected when using ecuflash then disconnected when you are done with it.:spin:

I got mine to recognize my car but it come up with a notice saying car_defs.xml is not installed, but when I down load it I open it and it brings me to a browser window and doesn't open in a folder on my computer

Can you leave the pedal ones connected or do you have to disconnect them everytime

about the pedal one... i bought the car and it was connected for few month before i discovered it. then i disconnected it and i think nothing changed...

i could drive bothways but the one that is under glovebox - when connected it turns the fan on and off until your run ecuflash.(so definitely needs to be connected only when needed)

jut be patient i was trying to figure out how to make this work for a month.. i was doing everything wrong now slowly step by step guys on this forum and on romraider forum help me out a lot. and i dont know anything about anything :lol: surprised how i got this far.

edit: about the car_defs.xml i think romraider ask for it or ecuflash dont remember but when you do downlaod that latest ones from romraider link that it provides you download 2 files car_defs.xml and some other format file. drag it manually in software folder somwhere where you want and select the location from the software settings. then i think ecuflash needs latest car_definitions update or something... you download them again somwhere... and overwrite all in ecuflash folder cars list folder somewhere folder :D.... its a zip file with lot of folders under car model names

Edited by giogio43

• 3 months later...

For those that are using their VAG com cable with laptop to log and/or pull LV, there is a fellow forum member who came up with a great app that run on android devices. The refresh rate is as fast as romraider IMO. You can view live parameters, log them, pull LVs at any time, customize the screen with gauges, etc... Check it out. He just began selling it, and trying to see if there is enough interest to continue improving his product. At the moment, it only works with 05-06 models though, but he is trying to see if he can make it work for newer models as well.

Trying to spread the word :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-new-product-2005-2006-lgt-models-229709.html

What's the log interval like on that? Interval on my vagcom is about 95ms with about 15 parameters

Send a pm to heiche. He is the one who developed and I think designed the adaptor. So he would know these details for sure. For me, it feels as fast as when I am using RR with my vagcom cable.

Send a pm to heiche. He is the one who developed and I think designed the adaptor. So he would know these details for sure. For me, it feels as fast as when I am using RR with my vagcom cable.

Hi - just seeing this now. The log interval should support whatever SSM can provide in "continuous push mode". If you'd like, I can log 15 fields and post it up.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Hi - just seeing this now. The log interval should support whatever SSM can provide in "continuous push mode". If you'd like, I can log 15 fields and post it up.

Just ran out and logged a quick 2nd gear pull using 15 typical fields - please see attachment. For this specific log, it looks to be around 54ms average.

Yes - I have some FLKC ;) I had to revert to my stock tmic (long story)

Also attached is a screenshot so people get a better idea of what the Android app actually looks like. This screenshot was taken just after the 2nd gear pull. You can see the min/max values during the ride while I had it running.

BtSsm_20140902_120122.csv

Screenshot.png.3af44f351edf3079daba411e8f0d75e5.png

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 1 month later...

just pointing out that this has nothing to with BtSsm from the previous post. sorry to interrupt - back to your point...

btw - just as an alternative, I'm hearing of folks using our BtSsm bluetooth adapter to do RR logging (but not flashing) on their laptop. This solution requires bluetooth capability on your laptop, which can be added if necessary.

</commercial> :)