LegacyGT.com

Struts 2008 3.0R - Help

mrmegadeth

Ok, so I am confused. I have a 2008 3.0R that has 80k miles. I'm being told that I need new struts - at least in the back. The Dealer wants $2100 to do it!

Is this legit? :spin:

They are saying $1700 just in parts. When I pull the parts from JC Whitney they are like $280 apiece but I see multiple revisions on Subaru Parts. ( http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2008_Legacy30L-5AT-4WD30R-LIMITED-SEDAN/_54106_6025245/FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER/B13-210-01.html )

When I check at other shops they are saying that they are "electric" (I am assuming they mean electric damper valves) and are like $500 a pop. I'm pretty sure the 3.0R has no variable dampening with the SI-Drive, right?

If I just want OEM replacement can anyone point me to a deffinitive part number or a way to figure out which revision I need?

Thanks.

Pittsburgh... I'll be there next week on a business trip. I'll bring some tools, stay an extra day, drink myself silly at the Old Church, and change out your rear struts for $1500.

That is to say... no. $2100 is not legit. They're called "stealerships" for a reason.

Electric dampers? I don't think so. I have a 2009 LGT Limited... I've changed my entire suspension like three times. Mine aren't electric, and I don't have any reason to think the 3.0R is any different.

Tits mcgee

The 3.0R's have bilsteins on them. You would be better off buying bilstein hd as replacements or find a used set of spec b bilsteins.

^yeah that.

The OEM Bilsteins are VERY expensive just for the parts. Bilstein HD's are much less expensive.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Yeah, it' an 08 Limited, has the Nav system. So it seems like the Bilstein HDs are the way to go. I cannot find the part numbers for the rear struts. Seems the fronts are:

35-118305 (driver)

35-118312 (passenger)

But nothing on the backs.

Any ride difference between the OEM and the HDs?

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to hijack,

i have a 2009 base 3.0r, does this mean i have kyb's? or just oem subaru stockers?

You have the same suspension as the Legacy GT. I believe the OEM Subaru struts for the GT are made by KYB. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that part.

This is from Bilsteins website (for the HD versions)

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mmid=201805/setting=B6%20(HD)/drivetype=AWD

Front Left - 35-118305

Front Right - 35-118312

Rear - 24-118323

specB tophats (front) - 20320AG01A

Just pricing out on Amazon, these should run about $700 for the set excluding the top hats. I havent installed these in mine so you want to double-check some threads for fitment issues. A quick search shows that you will need the specB tophats for the fronts.

You have the same suspension as the Legacy GT. I believe the OEM Subaru struts for the GT are made by KYB. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that part.

Correct. Base model 3.0R had the same as GT and all models below. 3.0R limited stepped up to the Bil$tein shocks.

If your shocks are black, they are KYB. If they are yellow, they are Bil$tein.

I have a 2008 Outback LL Bean wagon with 110,000 miles on it. The rear suspension bottoms out whenever I go over a big bump, especially if I have people in the back seat. The local dealer tested it and told me not to replace the suspension, but that was when the car was still under the 100,000 mile factory warranty.

What do you guys on the forum think, shall I replace the struts all around with new Bilsteins?

It would be nice to have slightly firmer suspension for better cornering.

Archived