LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just installed mine today. Was a bit confused halfway through because your directions say to install the rails with the wide (taller I'm assuming) side of the long rails toward the INSIDE of the TMIC which makes sense since they are too tall to use the other way. On the diagram pictured though, it shows the shorter side of the rails on the inside of the TMIC.

• Moderators
just installed mine today. Was a bit confused halfway through because your directions say to install the rails with the wide (taller I'm assuming) side of the long rails toward the INSIDE of the TMIC which makes sense since they are too tall to use the other way. On the diagram pictured though, it shows the shorter side of the rails on the inside of the TMIC.

Hmmm, I'll have to take a look at that. Tall side towards the inside is correct.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 9 months later...
Available at the moment with slightly shorter-than-spec front rails. Function just the same.

Your kits will, most definitely, do their intended job perfectly... protecting the mechanical integrity of the TMIC. After all, I added the front rail on the original as overkill. The top and bottom side rails are what keeps the end tanks on.

When I decided to share my long-sought solution for my failing intercoolers, knowing the inevitable onslaught of forum criticism, I chose a name that reflected my confidence in it. That original one didn't have a front rail. During the time I made and sold it, however, I added it as a stamp of finality, covering the visual memory of where the tanks usually came apart. Obviously, however, to the experienced eye it's clear the front will follow the sides... and stay perfectly tight, front rail or not. It is still overkill, which is the way I like to do things.

Many years later now, with zero reported failures of properly BulletProofed TMICs, any criticism of the BP Mod's efficacy has long since stilled. It is bulletproof.

Thanks to BarManBean it is still available and still BulletProof... even with "slightly shorter-than-spec front rails."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Could someone link me to the proper sized Corbin clamp?

The most used Subaru clamp for vacuum/boost hoses is part #092311502

Here is an example of kits of clamps available commercially, but they are also available from most autoparts stores.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dorman-Products/Dorman-Corbin-Style-Clamp-Assortment/2392111/10002/-1

Remember that the correct size is one where you need to open the clamp, by squeezing its end wings, to get it onto the hose. You don't want one whose size allows it to easily slide onto the hose without opening it up. This ensures it will have proper tension to maintain clamping force initially as well as over time.

Clamps can be carefully squeezed to make them slightly tighter... in a case where none of the clamps on hand, from a kit for example, meets the above criteria, such as on an odd-sized small hose. The proper installation procedure is to squeeze the clamp's ends and hold it open, slide it onto the hose far enough back so that the hose can be fully seated onto the nipple, then the clamp is slid forward to within 1/8-1/4" short of the end of the hose, then released.

Corbin clamps are a cheap and permanent solution. Zip ties are cheap for sure, but are not a permanent solution. Zip ties only provide an initial clamping force and do not adjust for aging of the hose. They also degrade with time and environmental influences. Thus, they are a temporary measure and better than no proper clamp at all, but should be replaced with a Corbin Clamp ASAP.

It is boggling to me to continue seeing posts about issues related to unclamped hoses... as this forum has been admonishing owners about the inherent problem since 2004 with countless replies like this one. It is even more boggling when the lesson is not learned... and the problem hose, and ONLY that hose, is fixed. There are nearly a dozen barbless nipples with hoses on them in these early LGTs... which some call "vacuum" hoses, but are in fact also BOOST hoses. A hose that blows off only causes running issues in most cases. One, however, the FPR sense hose, can destroy the engine if it comes off. It's not hard to figure out that a "stitch in time" here with Corbin Clamps not only provides peace of mind... it can keep the wallet from being emptied.

• 2 weeks later...

hey so, I'm interested in picking this kit up because I'm running a stage2 on an outback xt I just bought,

I've searched like the last 20 pages on this thread with no indication of this question of mine being answered:

can i retain the oem engine cover with these rails? I know the stock engine cover helps seal the scoop to the cooler and I'm trying to retain maximum air velocity through it.

thanks!

Mr. Bean's setup is the cheapest and best way to go for anyone not wanting anything crazy or wanting to save money for other parts. Had mine hand built from him maybe close to 2 years now with no issues. Running 19/20 psi no problem. Drag strip, top end runs, dyno pulls you name it no problems. Such a simple but well thought out solution to keeping a well engineered piece from Subaru.

If you've done your research you'll know what the stock TMIC is capable and the cons of going with a larger full metal TMIC.

Thanks again!!

If you've done your research you'll know what the stock TMIC is capable and the cons of going with a larger full metal TMIC.

Thanks again!!

The stock intercooler is capable of looking silly small in the engine bay and the cons of a larger full metal TMIC is fighting off the ladies with a stick because of how cool it looks.

Been running a BulletProof TMIC for 3 years now (at stage 1 and stage 2 levels) with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Is this still in stock and available? Tried to send PM but never got a reply.

Sent you a message. I believe this would be my last kit in stock. If there seems to be continued interest I'll make more, but as always I'm not trying to get stuck with a pile of expensively tooled aluminum!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Sent you a message. I believe this would be my last kit in stock. If there seems to be continued interest I'll make more, but as always I'm not trying to get stuck with a pile of expensively tooled aluminum!

I would like to add my name to the "Interested" list. Also if anyone has a kit for sale please let me know. Thanks!

• Moderators

To all those who have inquired, it seems like there's enough interest to at least make another small batch. I'll look at scheduling and come up with a timeline for when additional kits will be available. If you are interested, please send me a PM with your email address and I can notify folks with updates and availability.

Thanks.