LegacyGT.com

Best way to get some noise

tbperry

Alright so I have read around the forums and even searched and found a few things, but none of them really answer my question. I want to make my car sound good, I don't want a ricey noise, and i don't want it to be super loud either. I want a good rumble, not to loud, not to quiet. SO, the question is, what do I do? I read somewhere that replacing the midpipe would make a good difference, since that is where the resonator is. I've also heard go with a catback, I have also heard just an axel back. So, what do I do? I don't have huge amounts of $$$ to spend on it either. ANY info is awesome thanks.

^ agreed...I'm running a few different parts together...invidia catless up, Perrin DP, Cobb Mid-Y, and some prodrives to finish it off.....and it sounds freakin awesome...mostly bc of the prodrives though. It's not loud at all but very rich in boxer sound. I was looking for the same thing you are now. Like the other fellas said, just do some research, there are a ton of vid clips. You'll get different inputs from everyone naturally. GL with the quest!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Get your DP and UP replaced if you haven't done so already, and get a tune. Don't replace anything from the catback because it'll be loud. From my understanding, simply replacing the DP will increase noise and deepen the growl and unleash some of the rumble.

You will also get a huge performance boost from stock. Best money spent IMHO.

Yeah I know I can find sound clips, but I just needed to know what to replace mostly. If the DP will give me more noise then that's where I'll start. I will most likely keep adding on, but I just want something for now, while I'm saving for the rest.

The DP will give you more power (with a tune) but I really didn't notice much in the way sound. The biggest difference for sound IMO is the axelback. I ran a Perrin Catted DP and Perrin Mid/Y with stock cans and barely noticed anything over stock noise wise. When I add the cans there was a huge difference.

That was my original plan, was an axelback. But after seeing the endless amount of options, I decided to consult with you guys and see what you thought. I will have to listen to some clips to pick out which one I like.

The DP will give you more power (with a tune) but I really didn't notice much in the way sound. The biggest difference for sound IMO is the axelback. I ran a Perrin Catted DP and Perrin Mid/Y with stock cans and barely noticed anything over stock noise wise. When I add the cans there was a huge difference.
Really? Hrm, I could've sworn I read somewhere here that the DP lowers the tone of the exhaust and makes it mildly louder.

That was my original plan, was an axelback. But after seeing the endless amount of options, I decided to consult with you guys and see what you thought. I will have to listen to some clips to pick out which one I like.
Up to you. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. If I had to pick between a catback, or a DP+UP+tune, I'd pick the DP+UP+tune.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2604384&postcount=83

Grimmspeed crossover pipe

GS Ported and polished exhaust manifold

GS UP

COBB catted DP

AVO TMIC

AVO panel filter (intake silencer removed)

Stock CBE

I don't think the exhaust manifold affects the sound much, so for the most part that's what your car would sound like with a DP.

Invar - it's possible but honestly I really didn't hear much of a difference with the DP and mid/y. Could have been I was expecting more but for me and my car I really didn't notice until I put the cans on.

Yeah, I can definitely agree with you that cans will make a much bigger difference, assuming the DP makes any difference at all. Also, remember that exhaust sound from inside the cabin is quieter than from the outside. Maybe from the inside, it was a much more subtle change but it would've been more noticeable from the outside if you were a bystander? *shrug*

But anyway, yeah, you're right, cans will make a lot more noise. Depends on what this guy wants I guess. He said more noise but then said not tooooo much.

Yeah, I want to hear it rumble, especially when I step on it, but I don't want any loud/annoying droning noise when I am cruising down the highway. So, if I were to get new cans, what would you guys suggest? I am listening to sounds clips now, but you know how it is, hardly ever does it real justice... Remember on a budget! I like Prodrives so far... But @ $599 thats a bit much!

Keep your eye on the classified, your regional forum and vendor area for group buys. You can prob get a decent cbe for $300 used (?).

You get a dp and anything other then stock cbe, and it can get really loud. OR you can give yourself an exhaust leak :lol:

I think many aftermarket catbacks have a tendency to drone at highway speeds, so be aware of that. I have an SPT v2 and that's supposed to be one of the quieter CBEs, and it droned. Had to add a third muffler in.

Don't go the Haugzaust route if:

A: You have winter

B: You have inspections

One winter with mine in PA and the connecting sections were in pretty bad shape with the washers in place.

Reverted back to stock.

Archived