LegacyGT.com

Bulbs

shediesforhim

^ That look really doesn't say anything other than "Rice." :)

Please don't take that the wrong way - but honestly, that "blue/purple" you're seeing from other OEM HIDs is just a by-product of a lighting system that, to those driving the vehicle, is actually a stark white. If it were truly blue, that would really hurt the driver's night vision in a multitude of ways, not help it.

To achieve a "whiter than stock" look, while still retaining good lighting, you can try the Sylvania SilverStar bulbs.

If you're looking to actually improve the performance of the stock halogen incandescents - look here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45991&highlight=stern

If you're looking for HID plug-and-play bulb/ballast/ignitor kits, there's plenty of vendors here who offer good products, and many write-ups on "how-to." A quick search or even a general look around the Vendor areas should easily reveal this to you. Although you will essentially have mis-matched optics, the LGT's OEM optics are known to offer, by consensus, *sufficient* light-management in order for you to not only notice a good increase in lighting performance, but also to prevent the worst of the glare from such an imperfect pairing from offending oncoming traffic. Stay between 4300 Kelvin to 5000 Kelvin for best visual performance, or step-up to 6000 K for a bit more of the fashionable "blue/ice" look, while sacrificing a little of overall performance.

For the ultimate, only a full-optics retrofit will suffice. Just search for the keyword "retrofit," and you'll find plenty of good guidance on this. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

shediesforhim - The Sylvania SilverStar Ultras should be available at any of your larger local automotive-parts retail chains.

Just know that, at least for the SilverStars (not Ultras - I don't think anyone has logged enough hours on these bulbs, yet) in H7 fitment, they seem to enjoy even less and even more erratic overall life-span than usual (which is greatly varied to begin with). If you live in an area where lighting codes are strictly enforced or routinely travel un-lit back-roads, you may wish to carry with you your OEM bulbs, carefully replaced into the blister pack that the SilverStars came in, as emergency replacements.

:)

For the high-beams, I would encourage you to take the extra time/trouble to source the HIR bulbs. They are a MARKED improvement over standard halogens.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

JDM Piaa Extreme Force here. Bright white with a hint of blue. 4700K. (20% more blue than silverstars) BTW...silverstars are crap IMO. They always went out on my acura and I was carefull not to get finger grease on them during install. My Piaa's are going on 10 months now...now issues.

http://www.imotorgear.com/dept.asp?source=2&dept_id=15090102

What ever you get...keep to the stock 55W rating.

Oh and the more white, blue then purple you get the more refection you get off fog and rain.

JDM Piaa Extreme Force here. Bright white with a hint of blue. 4700K. (20% more blue than silverstars) BTW...silverstars are crap IMO. They always went out on my acura and I was carefull not to get finger grease on them during install.

The Sylvania SilverStars - and to a degree, even the Osram ones - do show a lot of variability in terms of life-span. This has been reported just about everywhere, and honestly, it's near-impossible to pin-down if they'll last you for three days, three weeks, or three years.

I have sets in one of my previous cars, as well as in various family/friends cars, that are going on three YEARS now, and still strong. Yet I've also had them burn out much, much sooner.

It's just highly variable. :)

Unfortunately, our H7 fitment does nothing to help this.

One note that I do want to make is that *any* aftermarket bulb can cause an issue in terms of life-span.

What ever you get...keep to the stock 55W rating.

^ Why?

Certainly, there's no real need to go to, say, 85W or other outrageously over-wattage ratings, but it's now commonplace to use 65W options to increase lighting capability of our low-beams, and makes a visible improvement to many. Such a fitting is even recommended by one of the most well-known proponents of incandescent headlighting options, Daniel Stern.

A 65W H7 should not produce enough heat to cause any concerns with our "plastic" headlight housings.

^ Don't worry, it won't.

Stern wouldn't recommend something otherwise. He's a known and vocal opponent of improper use of overwattage lighting.

There's more than a handful of us here who are running - and loving - the 65W option.

Look at the thread I referenced in my original reply post above (post #2). :)

Archived