LegacyGT.com

$180 for new muffler or glass pak

Our $1,000 95 Legacy wagon, the little beater car that it is runs fine. Today the muffler fell off, just the can. Now according to the parts store the muffler is one piece with the pipe that goes over the axle. Looking at the pipe/muffler I believe they are correct.

Now I don't want to spend probably $200 including tax. I can get a 25 inch glass pak for something like $30 (plus I like the sound). I see a problem with attaching the hangers.

I am not sure how creative I want to get hanging the thing or has anyone done this already?

The pipe over the axle is rusty but not too bad that it would warrant a new pipe.

Yep I had to use some on our Volvo. Is there a preference in glass paks. I'm not sure if I need centered in the front offset in the rear or the opposite way?

Wire hangers are a car guys best friend :)

What are uels and co straight pipe?

I did find a Walker just like the one on that was on it that I could get for about $135.

if you put anything but an OEM muffler back on its gonna sound like garbage..

buy some uels and co straight pipe.. 100% better-sounding setup and it's cheaper too

i put a glass pack on my $100 beater because the same thing happened to the stock muffler and i know every one says buy the vibrant mufflers for these cars. but for a cheap car like this a free glass pack worked just find for me and to me it sounds good in the drivers seat. What i did for the hangers is i had some left over hangers from another car's exhaust and welded them to the glass pack. it took some messing around and a little fab work but it was cheap and easy. i can take some pictures of it if your would like.

Thanks for that offer.

On this 95 wagon, the muffler is part of the entire pipe that goes over the axle and attaches to the resonator pipe. The arrangment is different between wagon and sedan. Is the muffler you have attached to the pipe that goes over the axle and would it fit a 95 wagon. Here is a picture ...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-54063

I guess the days of knocking off the muffler from the pipe are history. Last muffler I replaced was a long time ago on my 67 Chev Chevelle.

I've been spraying those rusty !!!!!!! bolts with different release agents. Last night I put the gun to the bolts to try and break loose but no go.

Removing the darn pipe is the PITA that I knew it would be and that glass pack is sounding better by the day. Stick it on, wire it up and drive.

I have found a stock set-up for sale at $110 (over $100 free shipping) and I get a $50 rebate (loaded Visa card). I have up to May 31st to get the deal. This is why I am still trying to remove the pipe. I haven't bought the part yet. Which way I go is determined if I can get the pipe off.

I have two stock mufflers sitting at my house. You pay shipping and you can have one. Also have a stock wrx muffler from a 02 you can have.

Sawzall just after the flange then you wont have a big muffler in your way to give you a little more room to work on those bolts. And for rusty exhuast your pretty much gunna need a torch, a hot one at that. It might actualy help to run the car a while to warm the pipe up, then use some pb blaster on the bolts id put it in the freezer for 5 min to help shrink the bolt while hopefully leaving the pipes expanded a little

Thanks for that offer.

On this 95 wagon, the muffler is part of the entire pipe that goes over the axle and attaches to the resonator pipe. The arrangment is different between wagon and sedan. Is the muffler you have attached to the pipe that goes over the axle and would it fit a 95 wagon. Here is a picture ...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-54063

I guess the days of knocking off the muffler from the pipe are history. Last muffler I replaced was a long time ago on my 67 Chev Chevelle.

I've been spraying those rusty !!!!!!! bolts with different release agents. Last night I put the gun to the bolts to try and break loose but no go.

Removing the darn pipe is the PITA that I knew it would be and that glass pack is sounding better by the day. Stick it on, wire it up and drive.

I have found a stock set-up for sale at $110 (over $100 free shipping) and I get a $50 rebate (loaded Visa card). I have up to May 31st to get the deal. This is why I am still trying to remove the pipe. I haven't bought the part yet. Which way I go is determined if I can get the pipe off.

Neither of the ones that I have sitting around have that pipe attached anymore. I cut them off to make custom exhausts so they are literally just the mufflers and nothing else.

And as far as those bolts go, I always end up cutting them off and getting new ones. They are a nightmare to try and get off almost all of the time.

I already tried the warm the car up routine but it didn't work. Drove the car up to my neighbor that has the hot torch (opposed to my semi-hot torch) and today we are going to take the heat wrench to the bolts.

This car has a big can for such a small engine.

Sawzall just after the flange then you wont have a big muffler in your way to give you a little more room to work on those bolts. And for rusty exhuast your pretty much gunna need a torch, a hot one at that. It might actualy help to run the car a while to warm the pipe up, then use some pb blaster on the bolts id put it in the freezer for 5 min to help shrink the bolt while hopefully leaving the pipes expanded a little

Oh. So I would need to fabricate the attachment of the can to the pipe. Probably do-able but if I can get a new pipe plus can for $50 net....I'm leaning that way. My plan may fail if I can't get the bolts out and then I may consider a way to fabricate the can to the pipe.

Neither of the ones that I have sitting around have that pipe attached anymore. I cut them off to make custom exhausts so they are literally just the mufflers and nothing else.

And as far as those bolts go, I always end up cutting them off and getting new ones. They are a nightmare to try and get off almost all of the time.

attaching exhuast without welding isnt hard. flare the end of the pipe thats coming off the muffler then slide it over the existing pipe and then use a uclamp, make sure its nice and tight and your pretty much good to go. just make sure you dont flare it to much you want a snug fit

Well that would work but I found a good deal.

Me and one of the guys I do car stuff with went to the bones yard. He is on good terms with the yard we visited. I found a darn almost new muffler & pipe, cost was $5. Went and bought a gasket for $4. He and I got down hard on the existing bolts and they came loose. Installed muffler and away I go --- all for $9. Unlike the Walker setup that was on the pipe & can we got is a Subaru stamped can. The Walker was bumping the axle (just a little). The Subaru stamped setup doesn't come near the ale.

I am happy. :)

This week I picked up my used 2.2 that will get dumped into the 97 Outback 2.5 I am paying someone to do it. He wants $300 to install which I find to be very fair. I don't have to take time away from my home office and all I have to do is wait for him to say it is finished. About fifteen years ago I used him to do another Subbie engine transplant. He was referred from the parts store I use and they called him trustworthy Matt. I found that he lived up to his name.

Then I can sell the Caddie, the Jaguar --- I'm finally starting to get my tons of steel under control!!! I'm getting tired of maintaining 6 cars.

attaching exhuast without welding isnt hard. flare the end of the pipe thats coming off the muffler then slide it over the existing pipe and then use a uclamp, make sure its nice and tight and your pretty much good to go. just make sure you dont flare it to much you want a snug fit

Archived