LegacyGT.com

9 PSI with a 1/4 tank of gas and strange transmission problem

My Subaru was my introduction to the turbo world so I have a lot to learn. I was hoping some of the more experience could chime in.

First Situation

Driving to the gas station i got down to a little less than a 1/4 tank of gas and my boost gauge never went above 9 PSI. When I filled up I took it back out on the highway and the boost went right back up to 15 like normal.

Second Situation

A few nights ago headed back from downtown I was at a stop light idling and my car jerked forward as if being rear ended. It made the whole car buck and knocked my hat off. It hasn't happened since then.

My car is a 2005 LGT Limited with 76k and a stage 2 Cobb tune.

God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

Ignition Advance Multiplier. Basically under normal condition, its at 1. But if something causes the car to start having a lot of knock or some certain other problems, it will drop the IAM in small increments, which basically takes all the igntion timing tables and multiplies them by .9, .8, .7, etc. Less timing is "more safe" in regards to knock. If the IAM gets to a certain minimum point, it will change the fuel tables to make the engine run more rich and reduces the boost. 9psi is wastegate boost, or basically the lowest boost amount the PCM can command short of reducing the throttle angle.

Some vehicles (mainly diesels) will de-rate the engine if the fuel level gets too low. I don't think Subaru does this, but I can't say that for sure. They do say in the owners manual not to thrash the car with less than 1/4 tank.

Archived