LegacyGT.com

Reviving black exterior trim

stevenva

I'll be painting my 96 legacy L soon. Is there a way to permantly revive the black side trim so it looks new? Should I have it painted body color like the GTs?
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I am thinking of this stuff. Forever Black Bumper And Trim Dye Kit. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FOIJXQ]Amazon.com: Forever Black Bumper & Trim Dye Kit: Automotive[/ame]

It's not a conditioner. It's a cleaner and dye system. Supposed to be more permanent. Any thoughts on it?

• 4 weeks later...
OK so I Googled the Mothers product as well as others. I decided to try the Forever Black since the others seemed like dressings and were not very permanent. I do not enjoy "Armour All-ing" every couple months. Applied Forever Black to my once black-turned various shades of grey exterior trim. The trim on my 96 Legacy now looks brand new. There is no greasy residue. Dries in about 10 minutes. Took 3 coats to revive it. Interesting product, after applying, it seemed to absorb into the plastic. (sounds impossible?-try to immediatly wipe it off) I had to be careful applying since this is not a dressing but a dye. It must be applied evenly and in several coats. Lacquer thinner removes any mistakes. The results were impressive.

any pics? considering doing that for my car too.

yes i took pics with my new phone. computer didn't like something about them. i'll figure it out later and post

• 2 weeks later...

This stuff:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-800-BONDO-RESTORE-BLACK8OZ/dp/B0009LSXAE]Amazon.com: BONDO RESTORE BLACK8OZ: Automotive[/ame]

=amazing. Used it on two jeep cherokees black plastic trim. I used Back to Black for a while and hated it, never lasted, got spotty after a rainstorm and the sun wiped it out altogether. With this stuff ^, never had to redo it.

my .02

• 5 months later...
Update. After 5+ months the black trim looks as black as the day I restored it. I have not re-applied any. The car is not kept in a garage. Forever Black gets my recommendation

Here is a photo of my car after having it painted. The color is called Nimbus Grey. It is an Audi color used on the 2002 TT. I was never too fond of the origional Wintergreen Metalic.

How do I attach the large images that I see others doing?

677211392_96SubaruLegacyNimbusGrey.jpg.51d5917fa55ca86d4e6de6a2b69425b2.jpg

Archived