LegacyGT.com

Steering Guru's please...

Why, because, racecar... damn newbies..do I need to link you to that thread recently about all the new members asking questions...

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I'm sure it will help if it will fit. If you have money to spend it would be worth it. If you don't have money to spend, you don't need it.

Underdog may have some thought's on whether it will fit or not.

Have you looked up the OEM parts numbers on the opposedforces website...I didn't think so. ;)

LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too
It will work. It will be a pain to install. When I had my motor out, I swapped my steering linkage with damper out for a GR STI linkage, which acoomplishes the same thing (STI is solid). You get a better on center steering feel, more communication mid turn, and better feel during fast transitions. Is it a huge improvement? No. I might have even only noticed it because I also happen to have the whiteline steering rack bushings and cusco steering rack brace. What MC said, if you have the money, do it and it's worth it. If you don't have the money, don't do it and you're not really missing out.

Why, because, racecar... damn newbies..do I need to link you to that thread recently about all the new members asking questions...

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I'm sure it will help if it will fit. If you have money to spend it would be worth it. If you don't have money to spend, you don't need it.

Underdog may have some thought's on whether it will fit or not.

Have you looked up the OEM parts numbers on the opposedforces website...I didn't think so. ;)

LOL

This isnt a noob question, this is undetermined fit question on a new to market part. what would the oem part number do me opposedforces?

my budget can handle anything i so choose. My posting into noobs beiny annoying and asking million times answered questions. This is a new field, i was aiming for the steering and suspension gurus to chime in or perhaps the few that converted racks to sti style

• I Donated Too
I think my whiteline bushings were 60$ and my cusco brace was 70$, and those are tried/tested to fit so maybe start there. Those two things help out the same way this would. It's all about eliminating things that flex/deflect when forces are applied

I thought I had seen something similar in a thread on here, but it was just the linkage from an STi. I'll see if I can find it.

I know mine gets floaty steering as I accelerate through clover type on ramps. I've always wondered why there wasn't more talk of steering mods on here.

EDit: Found it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacybt-6mt-compromised-autocross-build-225271.html

Looks like there were many other mods that went on at the same time, so I'm not sure how much was attributed to the STI solid steering intermediate shaft.

More edit: Part# 34170AG022 fits the 09 STi and 05 LGT according to Heuberger's website. Cursory ebay search showed parts that were solid, and parts that had the rubber damper gobbledygook.

Edited by seanyb505

• I Donated Too

I want to say rallysportdirect. I'm not positive.

Sean - the floaty steering around a cloverleaf is probably due to the fact the the car has taken a set to the outside and then squats during acceleration. THe front inside tire is unweighted from the lateral force, and then the front starts to lift from acceleration. To combat that, you could add an anti-lift kit, stiffer spring/shocks or coils, but I'm not sure steering mods would really attack the root cause

you are mostly correct about this, but a change of driving approach will be the most effective means to combat that kind of floaty under-steer. I know that we are talking mostly about driving enjoyment, but it has to be done in the realm of performance and speed through the turn.

quick4dr, i think doing the STI linkage will be better than doing the damper lockdown, which is essentially a band-aid mod. Even better would be the STI rack that underdog figured out.

Not to derail horribly on the cloverleaf issue....

I make two apexes out of the constant 270 degree turn. A long nascar style apex on turn in, and at some point drift outward so I can have a better shot at acceleration in a straight(er) line near the end of the ramp. From the start of the first apex until I line up for the final approach, I've got a constant speed. I know I could carry more initial speed and rotate on lift off, but I don't need to get to work 0.385 seconds quicker. My suspension is super stock and old, so yes I'm sure there's tons of undesirable weight transfer going on.

Off to search for STi steering rack to add that to the never ending list.

if you are on stock suspension, dont plan on having any steering precision while on throttle, no matter what you do. I wouldnt even spend money on the rack until you did a shock upgrade to konis or something.

Also tires play a big role here too.

This isnt a noob question, this is undetermined fit question on a new to market part. what would the oem part number do me opposedforces?

my budget can handle anything i so choose. My posting into noobs beiny annoying and asking million times answered questions. This is a new field, i was aiming for the steering and suspension gurus to chime in or perhaps the few that converted racks to sti style

The OEM part numbers will tell you they are the same part and it should be a direct fit.

If the numbers are different, it might need some adjustment to get it to fit.

I also think Underdog had a thread on here about swapping a Sti rack into his car.

Relax, I was just being a troll and harassing you

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

all good pal, ah that's the angle you meant for comparing the numbers, i wasn't thinking that direction. its cheap enough, i might pick it up before next oil change and give it a wurl, worst off it doesn't fit and i sell it on nasioc. Edited by quick4dr

Acknowledging the order of handling upgrades whitetiger mentioned (tires, shocks, springs, tides, electoral college, etc) if you do decide to get the part, I'd make sure I could see the part before paying for it. Oddly enough, that part number I was looking at had two different images in the part diagrams, depending on which car you were looking at. Seems you could order the part and get the wrong one without visually verifying yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

******* awesome!

Installed in about 5 minutes. Took less time to install than the damn fog lamp bulb that I changed too lol.

Feels amazingly better. For anyone with steering slop that had already done rack bushings this will be a perfect match. Or just this for someone looking to tighten things up.

Can't say it enough how much tighter the steering feels. Very BMW like you can feel the road

I'll just add this to the list... I'm on a drivetrain/suspension slop eliminating kick after how much better the Rallitek trans mount made the entire car feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MTBwrench

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I'll just add this to the list... I'm on a drivetrain/suspension slop eliminating kick after how much better the Rallitek trans mount made the entire car feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you love what the trans mount did for driveline feel wait to you feel your steering. That slop in the first 1/2in of wheel movement is eliminated. I did the Perrin demo video for myself. Pre insert it flexs real bad specially given Mileage

After nothing moves! That joint just rotates as it should