LegacyGT.com

Top Gear - Africa Special (Subaru Rocks!)

So i'm a HUGE TopGear UK fan, and been waiting for this episode to air since the preview they usually show in the first episode. It's really great that they did this episode simiar to the Chili and most dangerous road in the world episode a few seasons back.

Go Subby Go! :cool:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-19-episode-6-africa-special-part-1_2420936.htm

I think there's usually a week delay for it to hit on bbc America.

Either way I am so looking forward to this I went out and accidentally came across a pretty muddy slope so I thought let me give it a shot with my almost 50k worn out summer tires!

Car did an amazing job and I only felt the power die out once but traction caught and it kept going. I eventually took the TCS off but didn't really need to. Not bad for my first climb, but this stupid show has my wife yelling at me because now I need to get a car wash! =)

Love these cars!!!!

Had a guy in a kind rancher Ford tell me my car is more capable in the mud. I laughed since my car is a family sedan (this was in my 97lgt.) Funny thing is, we were in what the locals call the Meadows, an area that floods next to the river all the time, and they grow turf and corn there. So fine silt and mud there all the time. Still haven't took the 06 lgt there due to nice paint. Fun place to drive in after flooding. Sometimes more then 2ft deep mud in spots!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Subaru was by FAR the best choice to drive in that environment! The 850R and even the BMW would me miserable with their very low clearances and their long lengths. Clarkson and May must be glutton for punishment.

One thing that bugged me at the end of the show though was Clarkson stating that ALL of the cars got stuck at one time or another. Hmm, why is it the Subaru was shown the whole time pulling the other cars out and never getting stuck then? I wonder if he meant all of them got stuck during their entire time in Africa instead of just during the first episode?

A few pics of my own NJ special mountain climb...not a huge hill, but still a ton of fun and excitement to see what the car can do!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/sexy6s/Photo2013-03-10102407PM.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/sexy6s/Photo2013-03-1010-12407PM.jpg

Well it's not like they were going to keep the car for years and years afterwards so a burnt center diff isn't a huge concern. And speaking of which, I wonder what they do with their cars after they're done filming? With the exception of Oliver, are they all just sold/scrapped locally?

Edit: I forgot to add... too bad neither Jeremy or James had chosen an Audi estate with Quattro... would have been a good test of Subaru's AWD versus Audi's.

Does anyone know where I can test my awd system out in a safe environment, or even a location where I can drive the car up on some rollers? I'm looking to do three tires with no grip and one with grip to see if it'll pull out? Something tells me with the 2010LGT that its not gonna happen, but would still like to try and see what happens with and without the traction control.

Does anyone know where I can test my awd system out in a safe environment, or even a location where I can drive the car up on some rollers? I'm looking to do three tires with no grip and one with grip to see if it'll pull out? Something tells me with the 2010LGT that its not gonna happen, but would still like to try and see what happens with and without the traction control.

Definitely not gonna happen without TC, since there's an open front & rear diff. With traction control, maybe, depends on the slope?

I was wondering if the hosts actually get to choose their car. Why would Capt. Slow choose an 850R for this task???? Got to thinking more about it today, maybe an Avant Quattro would have been better than the bimmer. Not sure if you could get it for under 1500 pounds though. I really liked both episodes, made me want to take my wagon out mudding.

Archived