LegacyGT.com

Has anyone made the hood scoop functional?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my hood scoop functional. Yes, it gets dirty but no dirtier than usual with Tahoe runs (200miles one way) and given the fact I made an intake it seems to help especially on the highway with cooler air.

And dont joke about the knight rider thing... I own a firebird and considered doing that!

If you have the scoop already, there is a metal piece blocking it.

Open the hood, remove the hood liner, notice the 5 small (8mm i think) bolts holding the hood scoop panel in place. Remove it, replace nuts, and done. Saves weight too, damn thing weighs a few pounds. :lol:

the story I heard was that the first couple years of n/a cars with a scoop didn't have a plate, and caused some electrical problems because the distributor and ignitor are both right there under it.

Plus, if you are packing air in through the scoop, it builds up pressure in the engine bay and reduces airflow through the radiator.

The pressure thing is a big maybe. If theres so much air moving through the engine bay to slow the air from being crammed in the front Id say there is more than enough air cooling the engine all over which means the cooling system doesnt have to work as hard.

Also, it might get a little water on the top of the engine when it pours down rain, but so far no issues for me and I drive it a lot in the bay area and up to tahoe.

• I Donated
the story I heard was that the first couple years of n/a cars with a scoop didn't have a plate, and caused some electrical problems because the distributor and ignitor are both right there under it.

Where on an EJ22 or an EJ25 can I find a distributor?

Hood scoop sits directly over the throttle body.

I've had 3 now with open hood scoops and collectively driven over 300k miles between them without any issues from water getting into the engine bay.

If you want to open up your scoop....go right ahead. Its not going to hurt anything. But at the same time, its not going to give you any kind of performance gain either. The only advantage of it is you can say you have a functional hood scoop...

On the other hand, there was some talk about a top mount intake to feed off the the open hood scoop on here awhile back. The idea kind of died...but that would be one advantage to having an open hood scoop if you did something like that. But then water in the intake and hydro locking would be a concern

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

sorry, coilpack. for some reason I couldn't come up with the right word the other night.

and how does being open make it functional? it's not directing air to a radiator or anything.

Plus, like I said, having an air inlet behind the radiator increases pressure in the engine bay and reduces airflow through the radiator. On the cars I'm used to dealing with, it's a pretty legitimate concern.

• I Donated
sorry, coilpack. for some reason I couldn't come up with the right word the other night.

and how does being open make it functional? it's not directing air to a radiator or anything.

Plus, like I said, having an air inlet behind the radiator increases pressure in the engine bay and reduces airflow through the radiator.

I saw distributor and was thinking "wtf??" lol

By functional I mean it isn't blocked off....Having it open doesn't really serve any purpose unless you were to make a top mount intake.

The air pressure theory I don't know if I believe or not. If there is a difference, its not big enough to even matter. Like I said, I have had 3 of them with open hood scoops and never noticed any ill effect from the scoops being open.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived