LegacyGT.com

New Coil. OEM or something else?

my coil took a shit. and real fast to. running on 2 cylinders all the sudden.

so i need a new one. is there anything you would buy to increase performance or just buy a stock one?

where should i order one? what site?

MSD part number 8239 works great. It was designed for the 1994-2003 Dodge Neon and Mitsubishi Eclipse, but it works with the Subaru engines as well.

I haven't tried it, but I've wanted to for some time now, ever since I heard about it actually. I've had several vehicles with several different MSD Blaster ignition coils and I've been 100% satisfied everytime. Money well spent.

1) First, order MSD part number 8239. MAKE SURE IT'S THE ONE WITH FLAT TERMINALS.

2) Go to Home Depot and buy a sheet of steel. Cut the steel to make an adapter plate so you can mount the MSD coil onto the Subaru.

3) Go to the junkyard and find a 1994 to 2003 Dodge Neon or Mitsubishi Eclipse. Cut the 3 terminal plug off of the car and take it with you. This will be the three wire plug that comes from the wiring harness on the car to the ignition coil.

4) Mount your coil via the adapter plate and whatever else you need to make it fit.

5) Cut the stock 3 terminal coil wires off the Subaru and wire the junkyard plug to the Subaru harness. Left wire to left wire, center to center, and right to right. Use shrink wrap or electrical tape to seal off the connections you made.

6) To mount the ignition wires leading to the spark plugs you either need to crimp the stock metal contacts a bit, or buy MSD part number 3320 and modify the stock wires with new ends to fit the coil. You will need two sets of part number 3320 for the Subaru. The are about $5 each.

7) Start the car. If it doesn't immediately fire switch the left and right wires on the three terminal plug with each other.

8) BlubBlubBlubBlub.......... VrOoOoOoOoMBrapbrapbrap You're on your way to a hotter spark and more complete combustion.

This install should take about an hour if you make the adapter plate ahead of time. It might take longer if you run into trouble, but if you make sure to measure twice and cut once and lube up MSD part number 3320 with plenty of petroleum jelly before trying to install them on the stock wires you should be golden.

Oh and by the way, test for spark before you do any of this. It would totally suck if you replaced the coil only to find out that the car has bad rings or otherwise poor compression and is junk.

i should also mention my car is sitting in a random parking lot. not my work space......... as much as i would love to do this what kinda facts stuff am i looking at. price wise? performace? not having my workspace? all are factors

this is my coil pack. weird cause i think they changed it from 96 to 97 and on

http://www.yiparts.com/data/180184/180184044500-4907ba8781d27.jpg

Just did some shopping online and this is what I came up with.....

MSD Part Number 8239 - $70 (From JEGS Performance)

MSD Part Number 3320 (X2) - $10 (From JEGS Performance)

Steel - $8 (From Home Depot)

Electrical Tape - You're telling me you don't have electrical tape? C'mon. ;)

Hardware - $5 MAX (From whatever hardware store is closest)

TOTAL: (Shipping Excluded) $93

Cost for STOCK coil:

NAPA - $96

AutoZone - $110

Advance Autoparts - No Matching Part Online

You'd be better off in the long run getting the MSD anyway. If the car starts, chances are you can limp it home. The coil will generally lose efficiency when it gets hot. If its cold, it will usually run better. I've driven cars on 2 cylinders before and I always made it home, but that was because of worn rings, not poor ignition.

How far do you have to drive the car?

If you're worried about it get a friend with AAA and tell them to meet you at the car. Call AAA with his car and tell them that you and your friend were going somewhere when it died. AAA covers whatever car the cardholder is riding, or driving in. I've done this before. My tie rod snapped and I had my friend with AAA meet me in the parking lot where the car was. When he got there we used AAA and brought the car home. The tow company might try and charge you $15, but tell them to double check the AAA account, because if you have a Gold membership its free. They like to screw you like that sometimes.

The MSD coil will give you a hotter spark, promoting better combustion. This results in better fuel efficiency, and better engine performance. It won't add 10 horses or anything, but you'll certainly feel the difference. Especially since the old coil was on its way out. If you get the MSD coil to replace the broken one you'll feel like you're driving a new car again.

• 8 months later...

Archived