LegacyGT.com

Help me diagnose this sound please: dying throw out bearing?

robbiegates

Hi guys, another sound clip video to diagnose . I'm thinking throw out bearing from what I got through the threads I found from a search.

I just started hearing this pretty much all the time. If I'm in neutral, I hear it but can make it stop by stepping on the clutch. I also hear it in gear when I drive passed a wall or bus stop.

My question is how long can I drive like this? The clutch and tranny feel good but i just have the sound. If its gunna explode and frag in my transmission I will probably get it replaced. If it can make it to the next clutch job that's even better.

On that note is there any way to make it shut up?

Anyway here's the video.

Any thoughts, input or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Some guys on the Toronto forum have been helping me.

Seems like a quick (risky?) fix is to adjust the pedal (preload) so that it eliminates the sound . As discussed here http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138585

However it is an indication of a bad throw out bearing that will eventually (10-50,000km) explode and possibly cause damage to the tranny casing.

There is the tranquil tsk3 kit that can be installed In 2 minutes with your next clutch job that will eliminate the sound and prevent in the future.

I will be doing this, the kit is only $150 but the labor of pulling the trans is what will get you. Therefore, ill try and see how long I can deal with the noise before investing in shutting it up

Some guys on the Toronto forum have been helping me.

Seems like a quick (risky?) fix is to adjust the pedal (preload) so that it eliminates the sound . As discussed here http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138585

However it is an indication of a bad throw out bearing that will eventually (10-50,000km) explode and possibly cause damage to the tranny casing.

There is the tranquil tsk3 kit that can be installed In 2 minutes with your next clutch job that will eliminate the sound and prevent in the future.

I will be doing this, the kit is only $150 but the labor of pulling the trans is what will get you. Therefore, ill try and see how long I can deal with the noise before investing in shutting it up

I planned on buying the tsk3 kit when I purchased my clutch. My shop said it was not need and a waste of money. Should have at least bought an oem tob as that went 80k miles without a peep.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have a TSK3 kit, WRX SMFW, and the CM FX300, and my car made this sound as well shortly after it was all installed. I installed the DIY return spring outlined here, and I haven't heard it squeal since. After reading around, I'm suspecting something more having to do with the clutch fork rather than the TOB. Regardless, I'm having the transmission pulled this month for some work which at that point, I'll know for certain.

08 NBP Legacy GT BNR16G E85

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

07 FXT Sports. Stock :lol:

My car does the same thing. This is even after I had the dealer install a new clutch and TOB because my old TOB had been doing the dreaded wooshing sound after 98k. From what I've read on this forum, I don't think that sound is anything to worry about.

The OP of the thread below replaced his tob with a brand new one, which didn't get rid of the sound. Sleeperleg also posted a video with the exact same sound in that thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/noise-typicali-177666.html

Schado, what was your noise like before all of this?

Squealing?

On cold start or when warmed up ?

Pressing the clutch made it go silent?

The sound mine made was a squealing/chirping, much like the sound a belt makes. Very similar to the video, just not that loud. The sound would go away with any pressure applied to the clutch pedal. The sound would be intermittent sometimes, and would make the sound both at cold start up and after it had been warmed up.

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

I have a TSK3 kit, WRX SMFW, and the CM FX300, and my car made this sound as well shortly after it was all installed. I installed the DIY return spring outlined here, and I haven't heard it squeal since. After reading around, I'm suspecting something more having to do with the clutch fork rather than the TOB. Regardless, I'm having the transmission pulled this month for some work which at that point, I'll know for certain.

Thanks for the link, Ill be trying to do something similar soon. Now that the weather is getting nice, having the windows down and that chirping is going to drive me insane! :spin:

Thanks Schado, and it's been silent ever since you did the spring preload ?

Any negative effects of the preload spring you've noticed?

Clutch smell?

Premature wear?

I haven't noticed anything negative, and after installing the spring and figuring out the right tension, it's been silent. I'll know for sure when I get my transmission dropped later this month though. I'll make sure to post my findings then as well.

Thanks for the link, Ill be trying to do something similar soon. Now that the weather is getting nice, having the windows down and that chirping is going to drive me insane! :spin:

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

• 1 month later...

Update, pulled the tranny and changed the bearing, added the tsk kit and changed my clutch/fw while I was in there.

Things didn't look too bad . Certainly didn't look like it was about to grenade.

Regardless , the sound is gone and I have a nice new clutch.

Now I just need to figure out how to stop my links/sway from hitting my front tie rods. Oh and that dash rattle

Archived