LegacyGT.com

cats vs catless

slowlane

i know u make more power without going catless, but what kinda problems will i run into if i went completely catless(cops/emissions/state inspection), 06lgt 5eat wagon?? anyone know if i'd have trouble getting the car inspected in new york with a catless up-pipe and TBE??? and how much more power would u maked over a catted simialer setup

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

automatic trans is already a big enough negative difference, so 5hp is no big deal.

just gut your stock parts.... no one would be the wiser..

get a 2.2kohm 1/2watt resistor to supress the CEL from the uppipe EGT sensor(or lack thereof)

and get a ECU tune/access port

ok so with no cat there would be alot more sound/noise?? and the power difference is not much, so what it comes down too is the cost advantage of being catless vs the extra cost of having the hi flow cats......

Catless = possible smell, fail emissions, extra 5-10 hp, and LOUD

Highflow Catted = no smell (assuming you use new gaskets, etc), pass emissions, 5 less hp, and less noise (still sounds good at wide open throttle)

You be the judge, but my opinion is that one should at least do a high flow catted downpipe. On my car, I am still using stock catback exhaust with a Cobb hi flow catted downpipe, catless bosal uppipe, and AEM cai. You see my numbers after a tune. (catback exhaust is on my wishlist)

im catles and thinking of going back to catted for the noise issue. its just anoying to me on long trips. around town where the rpm varries its ok but when its a constant rpm it just gets to me. but i dont notice the smell at all and they only do obd2 around my parts and i have no codes with an access port

It's my understanding that it's the catless down pipe that make the car loud.

Does the car get louder with a catless up pipe, and stock catted down pipe and stock cat-back exhaust?

How much louder?

IIRC, you hear a slightly louder whine with catless UP?

I'm thinking about gutting the stock DP & mid. I know the smell will be there, but Ive heard that the noise doesnt change AT ALL. Granted, Im keeping my stock CBE.

Everyone mentions failing emissions...but if you have an AP, wouldn't you pass? Emissions computer only checks for cells, it can't tell that your car's tuned, catless, etc.

Right?

Honestly, I'm more worried getting caught being catless than I am smell, etc. But then again, even a HFC catted DP is illegal, so is the extra $100-200 for that HFC worth it? Not sure.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

^ I know another LGT owner who went from catless to a HFC DP because he couldn't stand the smell. He said that on the WRX/STI it wasn't bad, but the Legacy seemed to just suck the exhaust back into the cabin. Headache city.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with being good to the environment.

cat less with the stock cat back sounds sorta like a Honda motorcycle. i would say H-D but those are know to be loud. wit the stock cat back it sounds sporty but if you didn't say anything, no one would be the wiser as to if you had anything done to your car. it is very quiet but you will hear a change.

It's my understanding that it's the catless down pipe that make the car loud.

Does the car get louder with a catless up pipe, and stock catted down pipe and stock cat-back exhaust?

How much louder?

Not that much, when I did catless UP & DP together (still retaining stock catback) I was very disappointed that there was hardly any noise increase.

I then removed the resonator which gave a little more raspiness, but only got the boxer rumble when I installed the Greddy catback.

Not that much, when I did catless UP & DP together (still retaining stock catback) was hardly any noise increase.

Me too

I'm running catless up/down/mid with stock cans.My car is almost too quiet and it sure doesn't sound like a motorcycle .

I don't seem to get the smell in the cabin either,city traffic or highway.

A resistor fr the upipe and a plug anti fouler fr the downpipe and your good to go .As far as emissions go,in Maryland,no CEL=you pass ;)

barkeaters,treehuggers,,no flames please

Running catless is also illegal, and the feds can/will take some action.

There will be quite a bit more smell, it'll be louder and you'll be dumping more than normal pollutants into the air.

Go with a high flow cat.

There will be quite a bit more smell, it'll be louder and you'll be dumping more than normal pollutants into the air.

Go with a high flow cat.

Only illegal if you get caught. ;)

No noticeable smell.

Not any louder as posted above it's the mufflers that keep it quiet, not the cats.

If you're worried about pollutants, buy a hybred :lol:

Go with a high flow cat.

Running a HFC is also illegal, so legality really shouldn't ever be used as an issue (johnAWD, not picking on your personally, just making a point). Many people on the boards talk about legality of cat vs. catless, but "TAMPERING" with stock catted components before the cat goes bad is illegal. All aftermarket UPs and DPs are illegal, no matter the cat or not.

As for pollutants, if you have a HFC'd DP, yes you're helping a little bit, but you've still already removed 3 other cats in the process, assuming you have a catless UP. So you're still polluting. The only thing that HFC's do is remove the smell and restrict HP.

Like another user said, in MD no CEL = pass :) (I go to school in upstate NY but still registered in MD).

In the end, modding our cars is illegal, and there's no reason to even pretend to be Environment friendly, as our cars are pretty un-environment friendly when they're stock (gas milage, etc.). BUT, I do appreciate the love for mother earth from most of you.

<--- Keeping mid-pipe cat, no stink, less legal issues, happier for environment (that's the most tree-hugger comment youll ever get from me hah)

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Archived