LegacyGT.com

2nd gen versus 3rd gen??

i have 2 choices now, the subie i was going to buy a second gen, 98 2.5 auto outback with 110k on it. pretty much completely clean of rust or dings, cleean interior. then my guy found me an 01 today with a 5 speed. its not a gt, just a sedan with a 2.5. im not sure how it looks yet, i heard theres a little rust on one of the back quarters. its has low 100k miles. not sure on the exact condition. ill update later tonite after i go look at it in a few hours.

i know you guys need more info but whats deal? autos suck bad enough for me to get one with a little more rust? or get a wagon (lame) with an auto(even lamer)? idk ill get some pics or something later tonite.:spin:

Didn't the OP say both were 2.5's. I would go with the car with better maintenance. I have a gt with the auto and it sucks but if the 5 spd has been beaten on then it isn't work it.

Keep looking around to see if anything else better pops up.

Good luck!

Both have Head Gasket problems. The 00-01 2.5's were just as prone to the failure as the 96-99 2.5. So, I'd make sure this was resolved, and if not, what condition the engine is in currently.

Rust is also common to both these cars, in that same fender area.

I take it the 01 is just a legacy sedan? 3rd gen. design is really nice, although they are both slow as molasses, the 5spd makes the engine a little more peppier.

yes both have 2.5, the outbacks a wagon, the 01s a sedan. i still have no further info seeing as he neglected to tell me that it would take a couple days to ship the car... YAAAAY!!! NOT LIKE I NEED A CAR TO BE DOING SALES OR ANYTHING!

ps. im looking for personal opinions, but id like it if there was some reasoning behind youre dession. i heard recently someone told me he drove an 00 impreza, 5 SPEED, and he said youve got to be extremely precise with the shifter or youll miss gears all day and he also said the clutch felt extremely stiff. i asked if the trany had been rebuilt recently or if he had a new or aftermarket clutch, he was unsure, which was probably the reasoning behind it but id like to know if anyone else has experienced this??

Personal opinion? I won't buy anything with an automatic transmission.

If I were in your position, I'd decide on a list of features I want and then go look for that car instead of just looking at cars and then settling on one.

throwing in my .02

I love the look of my 2nd gen, as its all agressive compared to the 3rd gen more refined look. Although our cars are slow like turds, a 5spd can be a fun, yet ill take a car that mechanically and structually sound thats an auto or one thats not and thats a 5spd.

Plus a person thats upfront about everything even the flaws and has records is someone to trust than a guy that says yeah car is great, Id rather heard bad things about the car to know what to fix if you were buying from a private party. But like i said i choose the 98 over the 01 just for the look aspect, but there are more fishes in the sea, find somthing like wheather it be the look of an 01 or a 98 and seach for the best one you can.

When deciding between gen 2 and 3, drive both and see how you go. It's entirely down to what you want and like with a car. You must test drive both sides first!!!

If modification, and a good drive is what you want, gen 2 by far.

If a comfy stylish car that manages to grip like a mofo then gen 3.

I chose gen 2 cause of the driving feel, you're much more in touch with what is going on in a gen 2, with the gen 3 the feeling is totally disconnected. Light unresponsive steering is what killed it for me. Gen 2's are also much more compatible with impreza stuff, the gen 3 is not so much, due to the multi link rear suspension and stuff.

Personally, i'd search out a 2.2 Manual gen 2.

Although our cars are slow like turds

Speak for youself :p, just a little tickle with STi parts under the bonnet (and by tickle, i mean heart transplant :p), and they become VERY respectable cars.

Archived