LegacyGT.com

Subaru paint affected by bird poop! Video

ABPillinois

Kinda funny but lengthy. It looks like Subaru of Australia's customer service is just as bad as Subaru of America's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMsDq-aKs9A]YouTube - Bird Poo hits Subaru(in Australia)[/ame]

:lol:

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

youtube is being a pain in he ass - I tried posting the following comment:

That really sucks. I hope they settle fix what seems to be a poor paint job on their end. Bird dropping causing causing paint damage is ridiculous. Sounds like they screwed up on painting it if the clear coating couldn't protect against something as simple as bird poop.

Hi guys, I'm from Aus, and have the same issue with my clear after some bird bombs.. maybe it's what the birds eat over here :) My paint isn't flaking, however my car is OBP and once u know the mark is there, it's annoying coz there's not much that can be done about it! I know make sure I layer a decent wax once a month and keep some "waterless wash" type product in the boot to get rid of bird poo within the hour or so. So far so good!

yeah if you dont clean the poop off it will hurt your paint. i just avoid it all together by keeping it in the garage and not parking under trees. my car gets hit rarely, so that leaves me other things to worry about, like road salt which is currently eating my car alive

We got water restrictions down here in Melbourne at the moment.. so can't wash the cars at home, unless you have your own rain water tank. Of course then you have to filter the water etc etc.. I think the suba clear is particularly soft, which doesn't help either. It's all becoming too hard!!

Bird poop is very bad for your paint and the only protection is prompt removal. Everyone should carry a bottle of quick detailer in their car and remove it as soon as you get hit. The next best thing to do is to keep a healthy coat of sealant or wax on your paint as a sacrificial layer.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear! Now I have to put BIRD POOP on my list of "cons" for buying a Subaru? We live in New England in a coastal town, with no garage & lot's of seagulls. Never had a poop/paint problem on former cars (2 Olds 98's, 1 Olds 88, Audi A4, Audi A6) & I (the "wife") hand wash the cars so I'd know.

As the "advance (wo)man" for our next car, I'm glad these forums exist but man, BIRD POOP?

Every time I think we have it narrowed down (now it's between 2008 MKZ or 2008 Legacy GT or 3.0) there's something new to scare us off on each car's forum. Someone recently reported a total tranny replacement at 20K miles on his '07 MKZ)

I think we may keep our '99 Audi A6 quattro on life support for another year until we can learn to embrace all the cons along with the pros..

an MKZ is competing with an LGT?:lol: i know MKZ ride VERY smooth but c'mon, are you serious?

bird poop is nothing if you keep your car washed, i dont think it will affect Subaru any different than it would any other car if you didnt clean the poop off.

• 2 weeks later...
What is it with the Subie paint....I have a 99 Grand Am...and it has been crapped on for two summers and it comes off with no effect to the paint....and a little drop on my new Subie..eches...and it has been paint treated and waxed....what gives.

Thank the EPA and environmentalists for stricter regulations on low-VOC and water-based automotive paints in auto factories, to cut down on "emissions".

Never mind the paint is sometimes not work the cost, and chips off, and etches extremely easily.

Oh dear! Now I have to put BIRD POOP on my list of "cons" for buying a Subaru? We live in New England in a coastal town, with no garage & lot's of seagulls. Never had a poop/paint problem on former cars (2 Olds 98's, 1 Olds 88, Audi A4, Audi A6) & I (the "wife") hand wash the cars so I'd know.//
|We live in SoBo (near the harbor) and have to park under trees much of the time. We have a boat and park on the water often, where it's mostly gulls.

This is my third Subaru and this hasn't been a particular problem with any of them. I wash the car regularly but I'm not religious about it. Scrapes and scratches from loading the roof racks and parking are a much bigger cosmetic problem.

FWIW, the Australian cars are made in Japan and the Legacys here are built in Lafayette, IN. Not sure if the paint is different or not: most automotive paint finishes are extraordinarily durable.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Thank the EPA and environmentalists for stricter regulations on low-VOC and water-based automotive paints in auto factories, to cut down on "emissions".

Never mind the paint is sometimes not work the cost, and chips off, and etches extremely easily.

Ding ding ding ding.... we have a winner! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I have had the same problem with my brand new 08 Legacy GT. I was pissed to see after washing my car a spot on the driver side door (above the handle), both the clear coat and paint flakes were worn away, after the bird crap sat on there for a day. Dealer didn't have any help... which I can understand there are things outside of their control, but I take very good care of my Subie, I've never had any problems like this with any other vehicle I've owned in the past. I'm taking it up with my previous dealer to see what they might have to say. Not expecting much.

The dealer I spoke with said that it happens to all newer cars... all of them on the lot have the same problems, even different makes. I'm guessing the emissions does have something to do with why it has changed over the last few years. My 02 Dodge and 03 Jeep never had any issues like this. To the company themselves, to see if they have ANYTHING! I don't think it's too much to ask to keep bird crap from eating the paint. IT'S NOT uranium or hydrochloric acid!

Archived