LegacyGT.com

2 down, 3 to go. Newbie seeks guidance, not abuse

I've got an '06 LGT 5MT. So far I've upgraded the stereo and added summer tires/wheels (Konig TunerII and Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3). I suspect there are three or four additional mods for me. I'm trying to upgrade performance on a limited budget. From reading here, they'd be, in no particular order:

1. Shocks/springs to tighten up handling. To save $$, I'm thinking front only.

2. Cobb AccessPort for HP boost.

3. Whatever minimal exhaust upgrade that would work best w/ the Cobb AP.

4. Brakes. Looks like lots of people mod here. Not sure if it's mostly looks or funtion.

My questions are

1. what order would you suggest taking these on to maximize benefit (assuming there's a gap between mods) and bang for the buck.

2. In each case, what do you suggest I research. I'll take your replies and then go to the proper forum for additional info. I'm trying to do these w/ limited expense. Note I'm by no means a mechanic.

3. Any additional suggestions.

Each of these topics is covered the another forum, I know, but I was unable to find a "gameplan" thread for someone like me who really doesn't know much. Thanks for your indulgence.

Suspension and brakes, by all means. The stock suspension on the GT isn't up to the stock HP, much less boosted. I saw a HUGE improvement going to better tires (Conti Extreme Contacts), JDM GT Bilsteins, and Hawk HPS pads and stainless steel lines. The wagon now feels very BMW-like with a firmer yet supple ride, flatter and better stick through corners, and much firmer and better feeling braking.

I would not suggest just doing the front suspension- a god set of Bilsteins will last 60-100K milkes, then are rebuildable.

Do this and seee if you really care about adding HP- I may never touch the engine!

Dave

05 GT Wagon, 5 MT

Power wise you can go really cheap with mods. Find a gutted stock LGT downpipe and either a STi up-pipe or a gutted stocker. The gutted stock down-pipe might be hard to find but up-pipes are plentiful. You can use an up-pipe from any WRX/STi or Legacy. Once you get those parts installed (maybe costing you $100?) find a used Cobb AP v1. For under $500-600 bucks you can have a stage II engine and still have a chance at making warranty claims when you go to the dealer. You may also want to address the exhaust from the last cat and back. Get a muffler shop to chop off everything after the last cat (or if you don't like a lot of noise, after the resonator) and put new Y piping and mufflers on. Or just buy a complete CBE from a vendor (too expensive for me).

For me, it was too cheap not to go StgII so it did that first. Once you realize what power is locked away in the stock engine you'll wonder why it didn't come like that from the factory.

All that being said I would address the suspension first. I have iON springs and a Whiteline RSB (under $400 for me) and it definitely tightened up the car to the point where I'm happy with it. Keep searching and researching.

Archived