LegacyGT.com

Hawk HPS vs Stoptech Vs ???

Sebastian

Have worn out my Hawk HPS's and am going to have to get new pads soon. I was happy with the Hawks, but am looking at my options. Looking to hear comments from people who have had the Hawk HPS's and other pads to compare them too.

The car is a daily driver, but I do spirited driving on mountain backroads and autocrosses. I am currently on the stock rotors.

I got some stoptech pads for my brembo set up, reading review online lot of corvette guys running these and happy. I got hps and I think there overrated. Stoptech makes great products, the were made to replace axxis ultimate pads for thier big brake kits. This would be as good as hawk hp plus, but with way less dust and noise. Great for street and light track duty. Hope that helps. Will post my review as soon as I install my brembo upgrade.

Hawk HPS are ok for basic street use, but for spirited driving on the street, other pads would be more suitable. I'll be running Porterfield R4-S soon and will compare the two compounds. You may want to look into Hawk HP+ which are more performance oriented with better initial bite, temperature range, and friction than the HPS.

-Franz

Hawk HPS are ok for basic street use, but for spirited driving on the street, other pads would be more suitable. I'll be running Porterfield R4-S soon and will compare the two compounds. You may want to look into Hawk HP+ which are more performance oriented with better initial bite, temperature range, and friction than the HPS.

-Franz

Can you clarify what you mean by "better temperature range"? Is it wider, or is it simply tolerant of higher temps?

I ask because I'm here in New England, and a cold-incompatible pad is something I want to avoid. I'm happy with my HPS, but just curious.

Can you clarify what you mean by "better temperature range"? Is it wider, or is it simply tolerant of higher temps?

I ask because I'm here in New England, and a cold-incompatible pad is something I want to avoid. I'm happy with my HPS, but just curious.

I generally think of better temperature range as more tolerant of higher temps but really good pads have a wide range. The Porterfields are rated to 0 degrees IIRC. Hoping to get the brake job done tomorrow and we'll see how they do when they are cold.

-Franz

I generally think of better temperature range as more tolerant of higher temps but really good pads have a wide range. The Porterfields are rated to 0 degrees IIRC. Hoping to get the brake job done tomorrow and we'll see how they do when they are cold.

-Franz

That's what I figured... in which case it's not "better temperature range", but better high temperature tolerance, or something. The range might be the same, but if it's not good for DD cold driving, then I want nothing to do with it! :)

I'm still shopping around, lookin hard at the Stoptech Street Performers. Most reviews I find are good-great. Again, has anyone used both and can really compare them?

Im looking for new pads as well. Do you have a link for the stoptech pads?

Archived