LegacyGT.com

Are there really no wheels under 17" that fit the GT?

Arcteryx

Alright, I've looked/searched in all the sticky threads about wheel fitment, which would all appear to indicate that there are no wheels under 17" that will clear the LGT front brakes.

But I just e-mailed a vendor (who shall remain nameless for now) who assured me that the Team Dynamics 15" Pro Rally will fit. I've e-mailed him again to ask him if he's absolutely sure about this but haven't heard back yet. Since I had to put a deposit on them, I'm worried that I'll be up shit creek if it turns out they don't fit.

Anyone else know anything about these wheels?

• Moderators

I'm sure if the vendor is confident that they will fit they should be happy to put it in writing that they will take the wheels back at no cost to you when they don't fit. If you don't have that in writing I wouldn't bother.

You did tell him you have a 'GT' and not just a regular legacy right?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm sure if the vendor is confident that they will fit they should be happy to put it in writing that they will take the wheels back at no cost to you when they don't fit. If you don't have that in writing I wouldn't bother.

You did tell him you have a 'GT' and not just a regular legacy right?

Yup, definitely told him I have a GT. And I have an e-mail from him saying they will fit.

Guess I'll find out one way or another soon enough...

I'm wondering why you’re going down in size, just curious ? I have serious doubts about 15's fitting. Your going down 2 inches in diameter, without any proof I would say “there’s no way on god’s green earth”. On front anyway…they may fit the rear.

16" wheels were sold on the 2005-2007 Legacy N/A up here in Canada, but of course they had the smaller brakes.

The 2005 LGT has brakes that are too large to fit anything under 17". Subaru says this, this forum confirms it.

15" will not fit unless you retro-fit some old Forester brakes onto your LGT or something else just as silly.

OK, just heard back from the vendor and he confirms he made a mistake...so no downsizing for me.

As for the people who were wondering why - conventional wisdom says that you want the smallest possible diameter wheel with a large sidewall for snow tires. Not to mention that small snow tires are a lot cheaper than large ones.

I totally agree with you.

But in your case, a 17x7 wheel (just like your OEM size) in the right offset alone with a 205-50 or 215-45 winter tire is what is needed.

On my wife's van, it was so satisfying to downsize to a 14" steel wheel and winter tire as they were cheap cheap cheap, but only because the van ran such puny brakes.

Since Tire Rack doesn't carry Nokians, anyone know of any similar sites that offer tire and wheel packages that sell Hakkapellittas?

None of Tire Rack's available options in either 215/45R17 or 205/50R17 are very appealing to me. I'm normally a fan of Blizzaks, but their treadlife sucks. Then I wanted the Michelin X-Ice Xi-3s, but those don't seem to come in anything other than a 215/55R17 (or wider/taller). :(

The 2005 LGT has brakes that are too large to fit anything under 17". Subaru says this, this forum confirms it.

15" will not fit unless you retro-fit some old Forester brakes onto your LGT or something else just as silly.

I remember a thread here where the OP took a grinder to his LGT front calipers, to create clearance for his 16" wheels. While there are no readily available 16" wheels, I bet a custom wheel builder can build a set of 16" wheels for the LGT that easily clear the calipers.

I remember a thread here where the OP took a grinder to his LGT front calipers, to create clearance for his 16" wheels. While there are no readily available 16" wheels, I bet a custom wheel builder can build a set of 16" wheels for the LGT that easily clear the calipers.

Oh yeah that sounds totally economical.

Wait.... No it doesn't.

you must have NO idea how much custom wheels cost...

OP. Cal Tire out in BC is the Nokian dealer.

Why spend twice the price on nokians when blizzaks or X Ice or Graspic will do the same job?

Primary knock against Blizzaks is the treadwear. Don't get me wrong, I loved my WS-50s on the WRX, but for the price, I can do better.

X Ice 3 was going to be my choice, but I can't find them anywhere in the right size.

Graspics are OK, I guess. But considering the price (Tire Rack has them for $125 each in 205/50R17) I'm sure there are better options.

Did you check the sizes for Xi2s?

When I bought my Xi3s, they were one of only two Bridgestone/Michelin tires that came in the size I wanted (225/50/18 - to fit on my stock '12 rims) with the other being Blizzak performance winters. So, there's definitely different tire size options between different tire models within the same brand.

Archived