LegacyGT.com

22t Rebuild. Need to figure out heads

Been off the site for a while, working on my jeep a lot lately.

As the title says, I need to figure out what heads are going to work best for my 22t. I did an oil change last weekend and one of my oil squirters came out with the drain plug and this entire week my motor has been knocking a little worse each day. I'm swapping in my spare 22t tomorrow and going to a td04 since its already mounted to the spare motor. Now the current block is getting fully rebuilt and I plan on going forged while I'm rebuilding. Now comes to the real question, what heads should I run? I want to get around 9:1 CR ideally and I'm shooting for 300 whp(little more or less is fine). The turbo plan is a td05, vf22, vf34 hopefuly but it depends what comes up for sale when I'm at that point. Engine management will be a haltech as well and I have a few guys around here that are comfortable with tuning it. Does anyone know what heads are going to be the least amount of headaches and still take me to the power goals?

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you are going standalone then I would use 25D heads. They flow great and are super cheap and easy to find. At least that is the advice I have been given.

I'm shooting for something that has a better cam profile for boost. I have access to 205's, 257's or 20G heads so I would rather put a turbo head on unless I won't notice any different power over the 25Ds. I don't mind spending the extra money on wrx/sti heads either if it means making more power easier.

I looked into using some 20G heads but you need the little bits that come with them such as the intake mani, coolant lines, etc., so I passed on them. It seemed like I would have had to purchase the whole 20G engine from Japan just to get all the components. There is a good thread on bbs (of course :lol:) that lays out the differences between the 22T & 20G with pics. But they seem like gread heads nonetheless.

I went with 205 heads because parts are fairly easy to find and I could run them with the 205 ecu and to keep things as simple as I could.

Are the 257 heads you have access to avcs? AVCS would add another bit of complexity to the build but maybe you're up to it? You can always plug up the oil journals on the avcs cams too. Also, the 257 head chamber wouldn't match the 22T bore whereas you can open up the 205 heads to match. There is a lot of debate whether opening up the 205 heads is worth it or not, of course. It seems like you can get away without doing so and still make good power as long as your tuner can do it safely. If you don't open up the heads you may be more prone to knocking but if you don't then you have a slightly higher compression which some find desirable.

I purchased my 205 heads form a local guy who was running them on a 257 block without chamber matching and he was doing four wheel burnouts so...:lol:

Another option is D25 heads but they have avcs. I was talking to a dude on NASIOC who was running them on with his hybrid build making big power. But it took some finagling to get them to work, but then again he was using the 205 ecu. He had to make some custom brackets for the cam sensors and what not.

Sigh, too bad my house remodel has taken away all my time and funds for my build. But if I start building my engine and my wife doesn't have a living room or dining room my life could get pretty miserable, lol.

Archived