LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed lightweight pulley.

In the next month I will be getting the timing belt done on my 07 2.5i.I have some extra money to spend.Would getting the Grimmspeed crank pulley be worth the $113.00?I know I will not get a huge gain from it but will it help out at all?I have run out of ideas of things to do to my car.I already have mesh griile,aftermarket wheels,front lip,throttle controller,it's lowered and I have done a complete stereo upgrade with dvd player and headrest monitors.Do not want to get exhaust as I'm fine with stock.

• 4 weeks later...

A word of caution, when I had my WRX I put in a very light fly wheel, vs. whatever the stock one was. It made the car super fun, but I started getting check engine lights on, and trouble passing inspection. I would get a missfire error.

I vowed I would never do it again, not worth the hassle. (but it was fun)

The crank pulley isn't a harmonic balancer like on other motors so ^^^ is not true. many people have run the light weight pulleys for years.

You might be confused -- The lightweight pulleys don't have the harmonic-balancing rubber/material, which absorbs vibrations. So where do you think those vibrations go if they're not absorbed by the pulley? They are transferred to the crank, which can (and will) grenade your motor.

• Mega Users
This has been covered. Someone shared an email from a SOA representative stating that the stock crank pulley was not designed as and is not a harmonic balancer. These motors don't need one as they are inherently well balanced. So perhaps you are the one that is confused. The only issue with using one of these is the detriment to drivability when coupled with a LWFW which has been mentioned.

This has been covered. Someone shared an email from a SOA representative stating that the stock crank pulley was not designed as and is not a harmonic balancer. These motors don't need one as they are inherently well balanced. So perhaps you are the one that is confused. The only issue with using one of these is the detriment to drivability when coupled with a LWFW which has been mentioned.

SOA representatives also write letters to Floridiots informing them that only 1000 turbo Legacies were made in 1991, and that a certain black one was not only rare, but also a prototype vehicle. (Those of you from LCO should remember that fiasco.)

The reps aren't the engineers, and they certainly don't speak directly to each other. So you'll forgive me if I don't defer to their expertise. Meanwhile, I'll err on the side of caution and suggest that others do the same, saving them $100 now, and possibly thousands later at the expense of a couple of pounds of rotational mass.

I happen to have a "grimmspeed" crank pulley, (I got it because it had a TDC mark, the only one at the time that had one, this is almost four years ago). I have put quite a few miles on the car since then, and have other mods, (MS3 single port header and custom fabricated 3" intake). - In short, no problems on this '96 Legacy, still running strong with approximately 226,000 mi. - (My crankshaft has not disintegrated).

Archived