LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy whats good and whats not

I have a 2017 Legacy and it’s an outstanding sedan. There's plenty to like with my new Subaru. I have not driven very much yet but I do have some initial impressions which I would like to share. If you are researching this form to help you decide to purchase then all aspects both positive and negative that should be examined. The car although impressive does have some annoyances. I may seem to concentrate on criticism but life is like that. You can have a great pair of sneakers but one little pebble between your sock and sole insert will get your attention fast.

Many people in this forum like the auto dimming rear view mirror. I do not share that view. I find the auto dimming rear view mirror does not protect the drivers eyes nearly as well as the standard flip mechanism rear-view mirror. Yes, it automatically dims however it only dims so much which I find it too bright. For instance, if you’re driving during the day and the sun is reflecting off windshields in cars behind you the rear-view does not dim. If your car is equipped with the eyesight option which is excellent then you can't exchange the auto dimming rear-view mirror with a standard rear-view mirror without disabling the eyesight as the eyesight wiring runs though the auto dimming mirror. You will be stuck with the auto dimming mirror which functions poorly. Technology is great but should not be employed unless it is better than the what was standard before. I hate my auto dimming rear view mirror.

Another problem is the Eco-gauge which you can’t disable. The Eco gauge is a distracting annoying feature which there is no way to turn off. It is a graph centered on the dash that blinks toward a (+) sign whenever I step on the gas or moves toward the (-) sign when I take my foot off the gas on my 2017 Legacy. When I glance at the dash board I want to receive important information Such as the speedometer, tachometer not this blinking nonsense. I am considering placing black tape over it as I don’t want to be distracted every time I look at the dash board. Black tape on my new cars dash is not a scenario I envisioned.

The sound system sounds great with the Harmon Kardon speakers. However, I do miss my non digital stereo as that system was much quicker to manipulate. I am a dinosaur and am glad this car has a CD player. You can’t lower the volume on the speakers while backing up because Subaru wants you to just concentrate on backing up. That is short sighted by Subaru as lowering the volume while in reverse allows the driver the concentrate on backing up.

My sedan quality ride and seat comfort are the best I have found. I test drove several models of cars from different manufacturers. I found my legacy more comfortable than both the Ford Fusion and Taurus. I found it more comfortable than the full-size Chevy Impala. The Chrysler 300 did have a better seat and excellent ride but I went for the Subaru as I liked it better.

The visibility from my Legacy is first rate. The door widows are completely glass unlike most cars. You can see everything. The interior of my car is very quiet. Close the doors and you are well insulated from outside sounds.

I like the 3.6L engine. However, it is short in HP compared to an Accord or Avalon six cylinder. It has a great sound and the AWD provide solid engagement of the wheels to the pavement.

The high-tech Cruz control which won’t let you crowd a car in front of you is great. The automatic braking is impressive. These are some of my initial impressions.

Disabling the auto dimming mirror will not affect eyesight. I tested unplugging the mirror on my car, which is a 2015, and it did not affect eyesight or the blind spot detection. I drove around and tested all the EyeSight functions and all performed fine. I do not know about the 2016 or 2017 but I doubt it would be different.

It is a graph centered on the dash that blinks toward a (+) sign whenever I step on the gas or moves toward the (-) sign when I take my foot off the gas on my 2017 Legacy.

Goes to (-) when you mash the gas and (+) when you let off it. Unless yours measures inverse mpgs

When I glance at the dash board I want to receive important information Such as the speedometer, tachometer not this blinking nonsense. I am considering placing black tape over it as I don’t want to be distracted every time I look at the dash board. Black tape on my new cars dash is not a scenario I envisioned.

Is the little bar really that distracting? If it is, I'm worried about your ability to pay attention to the road and drive. Also, it doesn't blink at you, the bar just moves to the right or left.

You can’t lower the volume on the speakers while backing up because Subaru wants you to just concentrate on backing up. That is short sighted by Subaru as lowering the volume while in reverse allows the driver the concentrate on backing up.

Lower the volume before putting the car in reverse if it's that big of a deal to you?

x2 what leolfds said on the dimming mirror. I tested it in my wifes 16 impreza with eyesight.

For turning down the stereo, you can control it from the head unit while in reverse, just not the steering wheel. I agree it's annoying, but you can always resort to the knob on the head unit.

I don't want this thread to turn into a fanboy bitchfest defending the Legacy, as it does have it's minor annoyances like any other car. I just find that the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

I don't want this thread to turn into a fanboy bitchfest defending the Legacy, as it does have it's minor annoyances like any other car. I just find that the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

what? That never happens around here... :lol:

edit: To OP - there is already a giant thread to post annoyances in

I hate my auto dimming rear view mirror.

The Eco gauge is a distracting annoying feature ...

I do miss my non digital stereo ... You can’t lower the volume on the speakers while backing up ...

I like the 3.6L engine. However, it is short in HP ...

You make it sound like you are likely to be higher maintenance than your Legacy.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thx Cube4-- I don't currently own a Legacy but I'm in the market for a new car & the Legacy is at the top of my list. I've read tons of car reviews both pros & personal. I find most all very enlighten, as there is just no way to determine all the negatives are or might be in a short test drive. ie. the missing volume knob on various Honda models. At least if you know about things ahead of time, you can determine if it is a deal breaker or not.

I like to make informed decision(s) whenever possible, I hate buyer's remorse. There is no perfect vehicle, each has the their pros & cons, it tends to get down to which one ticks more of the pro boxes. For me I think the 2018 enhancements should tip the scales for me over the 2017. Better sound insulation, Android Auto, 8" Infotainment, perhaps the gray leather etc.

You can change what info is displayed in the multi information display by using the control switches on the lower left side of the steering wheel. You should be able to find the info starting on page 3-36 of the owner's manual. You can customize many functions & sounds with it.

Thx Cube4-- I don't currently own a Legacy but I'm in the market for a new car & the Legacy is at the top of my list. I've read tons of car reviews both pros & personal. I find most all very enlighten, as there is just no way to determine all the negatives are or might be in a short test drive. ie. the missing volume knob on various Honda models. At least if you know about things ahead of time, you can determine if it is a deal breaker or not.

I like to make informed decision(s) whenever possible, I hate buyer's remorse. There is no perfect vehicle, each has the their pros & cons, it tends to get down to which one ticks more of the pro boxes. For me I think the 2018 enhancements should tip the scales for me over the 2017. Better sound insulation, Android Auto, 8" Infotainment, perhaps the gray leather etc.

I look at decisions in a realistic way. I have bought many of Vehicles some good, some bad, some so-so but buyer remorse never. Life is way too short and I preferred to have the experience than not. It is good to do your due diligence but not to labor over "IF I WILL" do right or wrong. All vehicles has good and bad there is no perfect but degrees. The worst case scenario it not for you and just trade for something different. One good point the Subaru has good resell value and SUBARU has a garantee trade-in after one year.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!😊

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

According to CR the new Legacy is as quiet as Camry and Malibu and when it comes to ride quality, "You'd be forgiven for confusing the Legacy with a luxury sedan". Do you find this to be true? Lately I've been looking at options to replace my current 2011 Legacy.

I bought a manual legacy mirror to replace the auto dimming rear view and was told by the dealership that doing so would disable the the high tech options. I did not like this answer and contacted subaru.com. They called me back a week later and was I was told that that if I removed the auto dimming mirror than safety options that use the front facing cameras would be disabled.

I bought a manual legacy mirror to replace the auto dimming rear view and was told by the dealership that doing so would disable the the high tech options. I did not like this answer and contacted subaru.com. They called me back a week later and was I was told that that if I removed the auto dimming mirror than safety options that use the front facing cameras would be disabled.

I believe it's because 17's with EyeSight have the high beam assist camera tied into the mirror mount, haven't had a chance to check one out up close yet. The mirror itself has no connection to EyeSight though, in fact you can get certain trims with EyeSight and the manual dimming mirror.

Disabling the auto dimming mirror will not affect eyesight. I tested unplugging the mirror on my car, which is a 2015, and it did not affect eyesight or the blind spot detection. I drove around and tested all the EyeSight functions and all performed fine. I do not know about the 2016 or 2017 but I doubt it would be different.

I will look into what you told me thanks. I want to keep the key features such as blind spot detection, the self adjusting cruse control with the automatic brakes. I can live with out the automatic high beams. I really like this car except for the rear view mirror.

I will look into what you told me thanks. I want to keep the key features such as blind spot detection, the self adjusting cruse control with the automatic brakes. I can live with out the automatic high beams. I really like this car except for the rear view mirror.

if you disable the automatic high beams I would guess that you will need to turn your headlights on (vs using the Auto on setting) in order to have high beams that work.

When you have the automatic high beams, the switch on the column only activates the sensor, it does not toggle the high beam on and off itself.

• 4 weeks later...
According to CR the new Legacy is as quiet as Camry and Malibu and when it comes to ride quality, "You'd be forgiven for confusing the Legacy with a luxury sedan". Do you find this to be true? Lately I've been looking at options to replace my current 2011 Legacy.

I knew there had a be a thread like this around. I gave my two cents on what I didn't like on the other thread so here is what I DO like about our 2017 Premium.

It rides and drives like a luxury car compared to our 2013 Premium. The new one is very quiet- almost no road noise, the engine is quieter- even on the throttle, the transmisson shifts smoothly, the brakes are better, all the doors close with a very satisfying thud, the stereo is better, the fit and finish inside and out is better- I would go so far as to say it's nipping at Audi's heals, the overall view is better too- no more blind spot on the passenger side, I'm 6'5" and it's much easier to get in and out of the new one.

It's also easier to change out bulbs and things on the 6th gen, the DRL relay is easily accessible, the horns can be changed out without removing the front bumper (PIAA horns bolt right in and use the factory power wire), the high and low beams can easily be upgraded too. All of the LED's from the 2013 carried over to the 2017 and the old custom floor mats fit perfectly.

Subaru really took the Legacy up a few notches. Take a 6th gen on a very long test drive before you buy one- it's an entirely different car than the 5th gen.

Is the little bar really that distracting? If it is, I'm worried about your ability to pay attention to the road and drive. Also, it doesn't blink at you, the bar just moves to the right or left.

Yes it dose distract me. It blinks on and off on and off. Not helpful or needed it can't be turned off.

Lower the volume before putting the car in reverse if it's that big of a deal to you?

I want to be able to adjust the volume when ever I want just as I have been able to do in every car I have ever driven beside this one. I do not agree with Subaru's mind set. It you are backing up you should be able to lower the volume so you can concentrate. But Subaru takes that choice away from the driver. This lack of function is in no way safe and is aggravating.

Archived