LegacyGT.com

Chains/Cables

I recently moved to Washington State and have been introduced to the concept of carrying chains and possibly having to use the chains. I have been doing my research and it seems as though chains are a no-no with the 225/60R16 tire size. This brings up two questions I have for the more knowledgeable

1. Can I in fact run chains/cables on my 2007 na Outback? I am looking at: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZDFVO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Amazon.com: Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ139, Cable Chain for Passenger Cars, Pickups & SUVs - Set of 2: Automotive[/ame]

2. in the manual it says only to put them on the front, is this correct? I have seen other sites that say to put them on all 4 wheels.

Do you require chains/cables? When you have on either you have to drive rather gingerly because they will fly off. When i lived in Utah, I never had to use them. I just had snow tires. All of my cars did and I lived on the side of the mountain. I think i got stuck once and that's because i high centered my car.

Legally I need a set or a set of "traction tires" which are studded tires. I hate studded tires for a number of reasons. I have a legacy wagon that I have dedicated snows for but they are not the right size for the Outback (205/55QR16). I would rather not drop $700+ on snows and rims for the Outback so I went with the chains. I bought the ones that I posted the link for. We'll see how well they work and I will post up my experiences. We are required to carry them but don't need to have them installed. I have shitty all seasons on right now. Once I burn through them I'll look at dedicated snows or a good all season.

Putting better grip on the front will tend to fishtail the car. I would recommend to use 2 sets or be very cautious while driving with these cables. So glad Canadian Rockies ask for winter tire OR chain. Really wish you could afford studded tires. They work unbelievable! You can smash the brakes on ice and feel the front end plunge in it!

Archived