LegacyGT.com

Engine Area Leaks need Explaination (Vid)

Maybe valve cover gaskets? or Camshaft seals? (i've never really taken a subaru appart, but that looks similar to some VW oil leaks from the same places.)

Also the "goook" all around is probably just oil and dirt collecting from the actual leak.

and yes your timing belt is in there.

First clean your engine. After that determine where the leak is coming from. With that much mess there is no way to know where the problem is.

Your right. I wiped it all up to the best I could and am going to drive it and see in a day or two what is there.

Around the rectangular case though, a lot of gummy seal-type edges came off. Updates in a day or 2. Thanks

The Fram oil filter is causing your leaks.

I didn't watch the video.

Fram is bad? dang it! What do you suggest and why? I use Frams and Penzoil 10w30 @ 110K... Bad advice coated with hollow ego led me to use fram in the first.:mad:

It won't destroy your motor, but there are certainly better filters for the money. Basic Frams use weak cardboard endcaps and cheap cans. The *cheaper* STP filters at Autozone are actually better, yet are marketed as being worse. They are "E-Core" filters that use a plastic cage to hold everything in place.

Once again, nothing that'll ever make a difference really.

Watched the video, damn that's a lot of oil. Go over the whoooole thing with a can of carb cleaner, spray the hell out of it, and report back. :) It should all dissolve onto the ground and leave a clean engine.

Are those leaks really that bad? Unless it's leaving oil spots when you park it, burning off of the exhaust, or contaminating your belts, I would just chalk it up as seepage from an aging/higher mileage engine. Depending on where the leaks are coming from, it could cost you quite a bit in labor to have them fixed...

The leak is.....

burning off of the exhaust,

I took some photos of the area. I looked really hard around the power steering pump (which is sweating) and under neath and this is the best I could find. TOO MUCH SMOKE u know?

Car2.thumb.jpg.5b4bcc884ca1b624232edf4e0e375046.jpg:spin:

Car.thumb.jpg.695bfba46c8bd0440399ffa1d2fcd7e2.jpg

Looks like front camshaft seals, front crank seal and valve cover gaskets are leaking. I had some of the same leaks but fixed them when I replaced my timing belt

Was what I was thinking as well. Your PS resevoir might be leaking from the o-ring at the bottom which would cause some PS fluid to migrate down the line and pool. Also, couldn't really discern where the heatsheild was, but if it's near the turbo, it's possible that you have a leak at the oil line connectors too.

Get some Berryman - B12 Chemtool - carb cleaner and spray that anywhere that there's a visible leak. Make sure you do it where you have plenty of fresh air as that stuff is powerful and watch the overspray on your paint. This is what I'm referring to:

b-12_chemtool.jpg.2f40670d037a87ba23e54c21945bb59f.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Your PS resevoir might be leaking from the o-ring at the bottom which would cause some PS fluid to migrate down the line and pool. Also, couldn't really discern where the heatsheild was, but if it's near the turbo, it's possible that you have a leak at the oil line connectors too.

There are not leaks under the PS res. and I cleaned off some of the spots around the lower side of the engine (some were from sloppy oil refills). I then drove it and brought it home to find the most significant drip and the most convincing place of dripping to be the area around the bolt in my second picture (the right side half):

Car2.thumb.jpg.bc4bbd906722cee2dac553b24fe7c3ee.jpg

Investigated the top of the engine (around the turbo/banjo/downpipe) and found nothing or some old sweating.

At this point it is most certainly from the bottom. I will take off that sheild around the exhaust (infront of the passen crossmember) and blast it with carb cleaner (hopefully it doesnt damage the tubings in my engine bay).

Also, somebody told me to drive and then stop to smell the coolant reservoir of exhaust aroma (that would mean a head gasket).

Respect to all those who spoke to this issue.

Make sure you do it where you have plenty of fresh air as that stuff is powerful and watch the overspray on your paint.

:

Ahhhh, use a paper bag and huff that stuff, why take all the fun out? :lol: The chromosomal damage would be minimal. :rolleyes:

Cleaned off the engine as much as possible and drove it for sometime. (Sorry no new pics (the old ones are being used ((relabeled))

571838726_ValveCoverLeak.thumb.jpg.7855f9376078e0b862eba7dcef242141.jpg

Just as has been said: It is leaking from that bolt area and dripping on the exhaust. (I removed the shield to see it all take place)

Is this the valve cover? Is the gasket probably leaking? What will I have to do if it is a valve issue on this side? Could it be more than a hand full of problems? kHelp!

Im going to get a torque wrench and tighten that bolt! (how the heck would it get loose?)

Because I have not mod'd the car so it cannot be the uppipe mod mentioned above.

One thing I think I have done wrong is driven with an SPT intake fro 50K+ without tuning the computer.

Yesterday I thought this might have been hurting the engine causing the leak. COBB says intakes mess up programmed gas/air ratios.

Man huffing the B-12 kept me up all night long.

Archived