LegacyGT.com

weight for new Legacy GT?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the Australian Subaru site, the GT sedan (2.0 liter turbo, auto only) weighs 1440 kg. The 2.5i sedan (2.5 liter NA in auto) weighs 1385 kg. There is a 20 kg difference between the 2.5i and the 2.0i. The overall difference is 55 kg, or about 121 lbs. If you go from the 2.0i to the GT (going from 2.0 liter NA to 2.0 liter turbo) you have an overall difference of 75 kg, or about 165 lbs. So according to that math you can expect the USDM GT sedan to weigh about 3200 lbs. and the GT Limited to weigh about 3400 lbs. Given that the current GT sedan (with automatic) is 3450 lbs. hitting around 3200 is quite a feat when you consider the additional weight of the turbo system.

Dry curb weight of various JDM B4 sedan models: Spec B a/t: 1460kg (5-speed auto) Spec B m/t: 1430kg 2.0GT a/t: 1440kg (5-speed auto) 2.0GT m/t: 1410kg 2.0R a/t: 1360kg (4-speed auto) 2.0R m/t: 1340kg 2.0i a/t: 1330kg (4-speed auto) According to one source, the 2.5 single turbo STi motor weighs roughly 20kg more than the 2.0 single turbo STi motor. The Spec B weighs 20kg more due, likely, to the different rubber. Moving up to 18's has possibly added 11lbs per corner... Macintosh audio adds 10kg, 22lbs. Sunroof adds 20kg, 44lbs. Based on the above, an entry level 2.5GT in America could theoretically weigh about 1430kg without fluids, or about 3146lbs. Fluids seem to be about 150lbs, going by the difference in weight between Japanese and USDM STi's, so it may be possible that the USDM GT will be around 3300lbs. Cheers, Paul Hansen

It's not really inside info, it's general knowledge. I had heard some time back that all models are supposed to lose some 100-200lbs (not sure the exact numbers yet), but getting back to the BD/BG model weight spec would be very inviting indeed. The GT starting around 3200-3250 would be more inviting over current weight specs. :)

3.75L H6, that would go for all Legacy models, all will be the same chassis dimensions. Not much bigger than current, but a little. Just nice not to see heaviest as most car companies seem to think is a reasonable byproduct of safety. It's lighter AND safer. Can't complain with that. Will be about the same or just above that of the BD/BG models like mine. :)

Oh in no way was I complaining. :cool: I'll take the square 1 for weight and be more than happy with square 5 for power. :) That makes us beg to wonder what will happen with the next Impreza and Forester models. The Forester was the first redesign to stay in the same ballpark while the last gen Leg and current Imprezas added significant amounts of mass. The Leg will drop to pre- BE/BH weight levels, and will the next gen Impreza's drop back to the GC/GF weight levels or close? Would definitely make for a more tossable car. :D

I'm going to post up some performance projection calculations later, and for that I need weight data. I've been digging through this and various other Subaru sites (UK, AU, etc) and here's how I'm going to call it. [u]Weight Compilation by me, not official, take like a grain of salt[/u] 2.5GT Sedan Base man: 3300 lb 2.5GT Sedan Base auto: 3360 lb 2.5GT Sedan Lim. man: 3400 lb 2.5GT Sedan Lim. auto: 3460 lb ==== 2.5GT Wagon Base man: 3360 lb 2.5GT Wagon Base auto: 3420 lb 2.5GT Wagon Lim. man: 3460 lb 2.5GT Wagon Lim. auto: 3480 lb ==== 2.5XT Outback man: 3405 lb 2.5XT Outback auto: 3465 lb 2.5XT Outback Lim man: 3505 lb 2.5XT Outback Lim auto: 3565 lb 3.0R Outback auto: 3695 lb [u]Methodology and "ASS"umptions[/u] - 2.0 NA -> 2.0T = +75 kg (165 lb) - based on Paul's compilation - 2.0T -> 2.5T = +20 kg (40 lb) - based on Paul's compilation - Base 2.5GT sedan manual projected at 3300 lbs - based on Paul's data - Manual -> Auto = 60 lb (this is the difference on most cars I've looked at) - Base trim to Limited = 100 lbs (should be ballpark) - 2.5T auto to 3.0R auto = 130 lbs (based on specs from the UK site, a 3.0R Wagon is listed at 1555 kg vs 1400 for a 2.5i SE. But we know that a turbo system adds about 75 kg on a 2.0, and the 2.5i SE is NA. Guesstimate at 60kg difference, or 130lbs. - Wagon to Outback = 20 kg or 45 lbs (according to UK site) - Calculate Outback 2.5XT/3.0R weight based on Wagon Limited weight since the Outbacks are fully equipped. The Outbacks are getting pretty heavy. I know Subaru claimed they shaved 200 lbs off the weight of the body/chassis through the use of aluminum, but the engines are also heavier now which takes some of that away, and it looks like they're adding content as well, so that takes even more of it away. BTW, the base weight for my '99 Maxima SE is 3007 lbs, but with all of the goodies added (moonroof, Bose, dual power seats, leather, etc) it does get up to 3100 lbs, so I think a 100 lb delta for adding the Limited trim is probably a reasonable assumption to make. 200 lbs sounds a bit excessive, but who knows. Okay, my brain hurts. [img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/stevtecv6/smilies/rolling_eyes.gif[/img] Watch them release the official weight data tomorrow now. [img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/stevtecv6/smilies/laugh.gif[/img] Steve

Yup, not as lightweight as originally thought, but again, take like a grain of salt. There is a method to the madness, but when you start guesstimating off of another person's guess and extrapolate based on an extrapolation, or data from non US cars, you always lose accuracy in the process. Since everything is based off of a 2.5GT sedan manual @ 3300 lb, if that turns out to be 3200 lbs (as I originally thought I saw/read somehwere), then you can pretty much subtract 100 lbs across the board.

Archived