LegacyGT.com

Dual Climate Control-Passenger Side Colder

This has been up and about several times here - and the remedy is to flush the heater core.

Disconnect the hoses going to the core, use a garden hose and flush forth and back. It's sludge that has accumulated at the bottom of the core.

See this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/drivers-side-blows-heat-passenger-doesnt-214054.html

453747.png

Subaru has a TSB that apparently up to an 18°F difference side to side is considered normal, and no repairs should be attempted. Seems a little weird to me, but that's what they say.

I'd say if the heater core was plugged you would notice a performance issue on both sides, from all vents.

I know it's probably not the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Please read the thread I linked, sludge buildup in the heater core is manifesting itself as bad heat on the passenger side, which means that a flush of the core is one of the first things to try - before removing the whole package under the dashboard, which sucks big time.
453747.png

Please read the thread I linked, sludge buildup in the heater core is manifesting itself as bad heat on the passenger side, which means that a flush of the core is one of the first things to try - before removing the whole package under the dashboard, which sucks big time.

I understand what you mean, and I read that post. I also read what others had said and that they had success with that, but what I'm trying to explain, from a mechanics point of view, is the heater core is one unit. If it got "clogged" why would you have poor heat on the passenger side and not the drivers side. The heater core is on the passenger side of the car so wouldn't you think the driver side would have poor performance and not the passenger side, considering how the amount of ducting the heat now has to travel to get to the driver side vents. Something just doesn't make sense. What makes sense to me tho is what I posted from Subaru of America. Look at how many people posted about having the SAME issue. That's why TSBs are released. Does their response suck? Sure it does, who wants to hear that what they're experiencing is within normal parameters.

'05MY - 06MY LEGACY/OUTBACK CENTER DASH VENT TEMPERATURE

If you get a customer concern that the air temperature coming out the center dash vent is different on the driver's side than on the passenger's side, you can inform the customer that up to an 18°F difference is considered normal, and that no repairs should be attempted.

Anyone can do what they please. If they wanna flush the heater core cause they think it'll fix it, then fine. I'm just lending my .02 with information directly from Subaru.

Thanks for all the input guys! I shall try it this weekend, and if not I have hats, scarves and sweaters. ;)

Dual climate is absurd, it basically means I change the temperature twice or my passengers change it as a novelty but then turn it right back.

• 1 month later...
I, too, had no passenger side heat (for about a week)...until today! I flushed the heater core both ways a few times using a garden hose and it fixed the problem. I did not do the CLR trick. Heat is back to almost normal...passenger side is slightly cooler than the driver's side, but not by much. I'm happy with the results. Heat and front defrosters sure are nice to have in winter!

Archived