LegacyGT.com

Thinking of trading for 99 AMG C36

How much is it? Will it be your DD car? Can you afford the maint. that car will no doubt require sooner than your LGT? Insurance cost?

Can you afford all the tickets you'll be getting? The armored garage it would require to sleep at night know it wont be screwed with. ;)

The C36 = $8k. Not too bad considering the age. Insurance would be a wash. As for speed, the Legacy is acctually a quicker car. And yeah, it would be my daily driver along with my 89 CRX Si I have been bring back to original condition.

From what I have been able to research the only problem areas are the head gasket (2k to repair).

I really like it's stelth factor, also that it's a pretty rare car built in limited number and it's also the first AMG model shipped to the US.

Alright, I just found something interesting. I always thought it was a C36 until Benz finally dropped a V8 in it and it became the C55 and most recently, the C63. So I went to Edmunds to recheck the specs on a 1999 C36, and they list it as a C43. Is this a typo, or did it become a C43 in between the 36 and 55?

Anyways, I would say keep the Legacy. Personally, I think the AWD itself is a good enough reason to keep the Legacy. Are you located where this matters? Also, Benzs are expensive vehicles to maintain, and you're talking about a not so new one.

Alright, I just found something interesting. I always thought it was a C36 until Benz finally dropped a V8 in it and it became the C55 and most recently, the C63. So I went to Edmunds to recheck the specs on a 1999 C36, and they list it as a C43. Is this a typo, or did it become a C43 in between the 36 and 55?

Anyways, I would say keep the Legacy. Personally, I think the AWD itself is a good enough reason to keep the Legacy. Are you located where this matters? Also, Benzs are expensive vehicles to maintain, and you're talking about a not so new one.

c36, c43, c32, c55 iirc.

I owned one of these cars for a very limited time and here are a few things that you need to know. After talking with the mb mechanics when I worked at the dealer and things that occured on my car.

Mine had 34k miles btw and was a 99 and that was back in 05 when I owned it.

First, the abs module will die and you will lose abs, the shutter valves are the problem and they die about every 45-55k from what I and the mechanics have seen. To rebuild it (if it can even be usually not) is 590 bux plus time. To replace it is 1700 dollars plus about 4 hours of time.

On top of that which will die again at about 140-150 on that car. The head will explode which I think you already read about. The head gaskets are 2k at an independent shop but some time at dealer depending on how bad it is can run into the 3k area because they pull the heads off and see how much crap has accumulated in it and it has to be cleaned and machined.

Also those cars had numerouse electrical issues, alot of window motors die and a ton of engine management problems. We would get alot of cars that pumps would under feed the car or the timing would get all wierd or iac valves and o2s would report incorrect issues and find its not the sensor but the wiring harness.

The wheel speed sensors also go bad all the time and have to be hard wired into the system by a merc tech which will cost 178 dollars for the sensor and 4 hours of labor. Unless you want to replace the hub which comes with a new sensor for 500 bux plus 2 hours of labor.

I can keep going but I think you get the idea. The cars are nice but good lord it will suck you dry, I owned mine for 6 months and it was the happiest day ever when I sold it. I ran into a few of these issues but I saw tons of these cars go through the MB shop with them as well as more.

Id stick with your legacy, if you like stealth there is nothing more steath then a subaru legacy no one even knows what they are when they see them.

Plus the C classes of old really rode like crap to be honest and feel quite heavy and arent much fun but in a straight line.

The choice is yours but Id stick with a Legacy any day.

So this 1999 Benz should be a C43, not a C36.

iirc both were eventually out at the same time. also i THINk the c36 was out before the c43.

also iirc in romeo must die they used a c43.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWXA8vhh6U]YouTube - MERCEDEDES - BENZ W202 C43 AMG in Romeo must die MOVIE JET LI ALIYAH[/ame]

+1 my grandfather had a 2001 c 230 about 12,000 miles on it at the time ( i know its nothing special but its still a mb) the abs control module went on him when he was driving. He had to make a quick stop the right side locked up sending him into on coming traffic. luckily no cars where coming his way. the next week the mb was sold and a lexus was stilling the the drive way. no one builds a car like japan ( i hate to say it )

I worked for MB for the last 6 months so I figure I'll put in my words. First off, here's the chassis breakdown. The first 3 numbers are the chassis, the 2nd 3 signify the powertrain.

202-chassis, produced from 1994-2000

202028: C36 AMG

202033: C43 AMG

203-chassis, 2002-2007

203065: C32 AMG

203076: C55 AMG

When any of those cars in those 2 chassis numbers enter the shop, we all knew they were a gold mine. Especially an early 203. Put AMG on the bumper and under the hood and the techs would be in a line to see who got to work on it. There are a money pit, especially with that kind of mileage. Front rotors are around $150 a piece, pads are probably 120. Rear rotors around 125 each. For the love of God, don't ask about body parts. Anything bumper or grille related doubles the price. Cars with that mileage are also known to have shifter issues. That'll run you maybe $500 or more. Then add in labor and you're crying into an empty wallet.:lol:;)

Archived