LegacyGT.com

2.5 twin cam differences ?

I found myself a 2.5 twincam in a 97 outback with around 125k miles on it for 350. The sucker looked pretty clean and oil leak free.

I have a 98 GT manual wagon and the donor car 97 is an auto.

My guess is that they are exact same engines, but is there any differences btw both engines ? I figure id ask before giving me extra work :lol:

the basic engines should be identical, but 2 small differences come to mind.

the 97 should have the old style 2 piece timing belt tensioner and the 98 will have the new style one piece unit. generally the old style is more reliable and usually last longer. the one piece unit is usually replaced with every belt change and it costs $50? . just make sure you order the right one.

the 97 should have the charcoal canister in the front under the hood (next to the ABS pump) and the 98 will have it in the rear of the car behind the right rear tire. regardless of which way you swap, if you use the intake manifold that came with your car it will be a little less work and run fine.

plus the engine in the auto trans car will be easier to pull and / or install if the intake manifold is removed so you can EASILY reach the 4 torque converter bolts.

Archived